Shenhua's New Yellow Banana Suit

I have got to be honest when I say that.... I'm not 100% in love with Shenhua's new outfit.

I don't dislike it per se.... and it has grown on me a lot since 2017 when she looked like an NPC with a yellow shower cap on.. but I loved her ORIGINAL outfit.

I know they tried to make her more "attractive"... with earrings, elevated shoes, and an exposed neck.. but the original outfit was better.

The flowing scarf, the open sleeves, and dress she was a more romantic look for Shenhua.. and fit her character being the heart and soul of rural China.

And I think there is too much unbroken yellow in Shenhua's outfit... the original outfit broke up the color a bit better.

Maybe they decided to make Shenhua yellow because Niaowu is so dominated by RED and her previous earthen color scheme wouldn't stand out enough?

Maybe there will be DLC to play with Shenhua's original outfit?

Love her new outfit. I didn't in the initial reveal back in 2017, but now I think it looks amazing. I'm more than happy if she doesn't go back to her original brown outfit.

Well, in the 2017 reveal it looked like shit. It was far more simplistic and without any details. Now the color is more natural and less saturated. There's a cloth texture and there's more details on it.

I like it.

It's more feminine look and her hat fits her head now.... in your profile pic her hat makes her look like she should be baking a pie or something.

At first I thought maybe they couldn't get the physics right for her open sleeves... but now they have to do physics for her dangly earrings which will be dangling constantly.

Well, I do hope we get the option for her old look.... I wonder if Shenmue 1-2 will be retconned to have Shenhua in the yellow suit?

Last edited:
There is no reason retcon the Outfit for S1 and S2. Shenhua's house is near the cave so it is not unrealistic at all that she changed her Outfit at the beginning of S3 which is supposed to take place a few days after the end of S2 I think.

I like her new look much better than her old look btw.

I might be alone with with that opinion but I think the old Shenhua does not look that good as well for a main character.

The Character design was a bit of. Nozomi looked much better, and even some the female supporting characters like Joy or even Izumi looked way more flashed out.

So I am happy with the new design Approach. Now Shenhua Looks worthy for a main character.

Ok you have a Point. I was refering to her ingame model. The old Concept arts and renders are indeed something else. they are Pretty good.

I like this Video showing different artworks of Shenhua :love:

You're late to the party, I hate her new outfit. I know why Yu Sazuki changed it, to make it distinctly Shenmue 3, but come on Banana Yellow...? All the other colors you could of used, and you picked easily the worst possible color(although Green probally wouldn't suit her either, well not a plain green outfit anyway).

Thanks to the DLC lol, the first thing everyone is going to do, is change her outfit.

Last edited:
There is no reason retcon the Outfit for S1 and S2. Shenhua's house is near the cave so it is not unrealistic at all that she changed her Outfit at the beginning of S3 which is supposed to take place a few days after the end of S2 I think.

I like her new look much better than her old look btw.

I might be alone with with that opinion but I think the old Shenhua does not look that good as well for a main character.

The Character design was a bit of. Nozomi looked much better, and even some the female supporting characters like Joy or even Izumi looked way more flashed out.

So I am happy with the new design Approach. Now Shenhua Looks worthy for a main character.
But why is she the only one who changes her outfit? Ryo, Ren, Lan Di and maybe others continue being like always. And in all merchandising Shenhua continues wearing brown clothes, it's her iconic image.
If you change the jacket to the black one to Ryo, you feel it like strange. Cool, but strange, but it isn't his design at the beginning of the game.
On the other hand, too much breast to me.

But why is she the only one who changes her outfit?

Xiuying_Hong.png

Shen2_Xiuying_catches_leaf.png

Xiuying3.png

Xiuying4.png

She's not the only one who changes her outfit.

(that's not even mentioning the kimono-wearing characters in the first game)

In all cases, a change of clothes is shown to represent a deliberate change in style; other characters wearing the same clothes can be interpreted as being them wearing "the same sort of clothes they always do". No characters change from one set of casual clothes to another set of casual clothes, in any circumstances.

Xiuying_Hong.png

Shen2_Xiuying_catches_leaf.png

Xiuying3.png

Xiuying4.png

She's not the only one who changes her outfit.

(that's not even mentioning the kimono-wearing characters in the first game)

In all cases, a change of clothes is shown to represent a deliberate change in style; other characters wearing the same clothes can be interpreted as being them wearing "the same sort of clothes they always do". No characters change from one set of casual clothes to another set of casual clothes, in any circumstances.
I see your point, but I don't see this like the same case. Shenhua, like Ryo and Lan Di are the main characters and their image is iconic to me.

I wasn't wanting to post this in case I sound petty, but I'm more concerned that they should explain the change logically, i.e. we see Shenhua in her old clothes at the beginning in the cave, then it's simply a "the next day..." scene with her new clothes for the game. Rather than a magical "poof her clothes changed".

I think the new outfit looks great apart from the "smurf hat" thing Shenhua is wearing. The old one looks better but I'm OK with the new outfit.

What bothers me more Ryo's jacket. The color is not correct. But I'm ok. The new black leather jacket looks amazing.

i dont really mind the new outfit in terms of quality,
what i dont like is that the Shenmue 3 Shenhua has a completely different charisma.
the Shenhua in Shenmue 2 is this girl from the country who doesnt know anything about big cities
or the newest fashion trends or whatever. in Shenmue 2 it doesnt look like she cares about make up at all,
she has a completely natural look with clothes that look used.
the Shenhua in Shenmue 3 is pretty but the style is not the same. the natural young look is gone,
now Shenhua suddenly looks like she does care about make up and accessoires and shes wearing brand new clothes.
Ryo, Ren, Chai, Lan Di, they all look like they did before. Shenhua looks completely different.
she is pretty but shes not the same person.

Back