Shenhua's New Yellow Banana Suit

I see your point, but I don't see this like the same case. Shenhua, like Ryo and Lan Di are the main characters and their image is iconic to me.
To be fair, in Shenmue III customising Ryo's outfit seems to be a pretty big mechanic. So I don't think Shenhua having new clothes will feel that odd in the long run.

For what it's worth, I like Shenhua's old outfit better too, but once I start playing the game, I suspect I'll barely notice or care about the change at all (especially when I'm mixing and matching new clothing items for Ryo!).

To be fair, in Shenmue III customising Ryo's outfit seems to be a pretty big mechanic. So I don't think Shenhua having new clothes will feel that odd in the long run.

For what it's worth, I like Shenhua's old outfit better too, but once I start playing the game, I suspect I'll barely notice or care about the change at all (especially when I'm mixing and matching new clothing items for Ryo!).
You have the option in the case of Ryo. Shall we have the option for Shenhua? I hope so.

I just though :
The best would be if shenhua changed clothes according to her relationship with Ryo.
With, probably, a style being more casual, the more she is familiar with Ryo.

insert gif of sh2-shenhua jumping in the river, here
Edit :
oldshen2-568fc8f.gif

After finishing the gif I want to add that,
even though the old ingame shenhua had a rounder headshape than promotional art.
(and no flowing sarf or flowiing sleeves)
the subtle robe and hair animations made it a solid model, in motion.

At first, I would wonder if they couldn't animate the old robe in the SH3 engine.
But, it may be more trying to pander to an audience or requirement.

Anyway,
I miss Shenhua in her old 1-2 days, but, I'm gonna give SH3-Shenhua a chance.

Last edited:
Don't forget that even during the Dreamcast days there were promotional images which potentially foreshadowed Shenhua ditching her standard rags in future games and becoming a bit of a fashionista.

Hey don't talk about Shenhua's new dress like that!

In all seriousness though it's not impossible that she didn't change as they go back to her house, either that or Yu Suzuki really felt like it's more feminine. It's not like she's wearing a Kimono which wouldn't make sense since she's Chinese. It looks fine.

I'm probably the only person on Earth who cares about this but I hope the re-created cave sequence which we've seen in Shenmue 3 trailers so far where Shenhua is wearing her new outfit and not her standard rags is actually a fuzzy flashback/dream that Ryo is having where not all details might be 100% correct and not a re-write of the Shenmue 2 ending.

Shenhua wearing her rags in the cave in Shenmue 2 and then suddenly wearing a completely different outfit in the same scene in Shenmue 3 would be a continuity error that would stress me out so much I might just need counselling.

I'm probably the only person on Earth who cares about this but I hope the re-created cave sequence which we've seen in Shenmue 3 trailers so far where Shenhua is wearing her new outfit and not her standard rags is actually a fuzzy flashback/dream that Ryo is having where not all details might be 100% correct and not a re-write of the Shenmue 2 ending.

Shenhua wearing her rags in the cave in Shenmue 2 and then suddenly wearing a completely different outfit in the same scene in Shenmue 3 would be a continuity error that would stress me out so much I might just need counselling.

The game starts the day after the events in the cave, so I doubt the events are going to be recreated at all. However it sounds like we can go back to the cave(odd design choice if you're not starting the game at the cave, but yea seems like you'll beable to go back there).

The game starts the day after the events in the cave, so I doubt the events are going to be recreated at all. However it sounds like we can go back to the cave(odd design choice if you're not starting the game at the cave, but yea seems like you'll beable to go back there).

I don't see, just from a writing standpoint, how the game could credibly begin in the cave right after the sword and light show.

Ryo: Shenhua... what the hell was that?!

Shenhua: I don't know... christ what is going on with that floating sword!

Ryo: I don't understand this.... I don't understand this at all.

Shenhua: Well do you still want to go to Bailu Village?

Ryo: Hey I've been waiting a long time for you to say that! (winks at the camera).

Last edited:
I don't see, just from a writing standpoint, how the game could credibly begin in the cave right after the sword and light show.

Ryo: Shenhua... what the hell was that?!

Shenhua: I don't know... christ what is going on with that floating sword!

Ryo: I don't understand this.... I don't understand this at all.

Shenhua: Well do you still want to go to Bailu Village?

Ryo: Might as well....

True, but I don't think Shenhua would be as shocked at such things, as Ryo would be.

In my opinion, everyone is making way too big of a deal about this. When I hear banana yellow suit, this is what comes to mind:

Not Shenhua's new outfit, which is merely a lighter color brown than the original.

Really, the style of her outfit is not that different than what it was before, except it's now more of a tunic than a dress, so you can see that she is wearing pants.

This "retcon" is not a major plot hole and won't inhibit your enjoyment of the game at all.

For what it's worth, I prefer the original outfit as well, but dig the new look too. She's the best looking character in the game that we've seen. I wish they were able to get Ryo to a place like they have with Shenhua and Lan Di, but he has come a long way since Kickstarter "Roy Hakuzi"

The title used to be something else, and when I first read this new one I thought it said "Shenhua's new yellow banana suit."

Anyway Shenhua banana costume DLC or boycott

Honestly, I hope they re-created the scene. I bet Yu Suzuki meant the gameplay starts a day after the cave scene.

Honestly, I hope they re-created the scene. I bet Yu Suzuki meant the gameplay starts a day after the cave scene.

No, sadly he has gone on record multiple times, saying we wont start off in the cave, the opening will be Ryo waking up in Shenhua's house the very next day.

No, sadly he has gone on record multiple times, saying we wont start off in the cave, the opening will be Ryo waking up in Shenhua's house the very next day.

I swear, I've read it being "confirmed" on this forum both for and against S3 showing what happens right after 2 ended in the cave. Maybe as a flashback early in the game rather than being the actual start, idk. Or maybe I'm just delusional and making stuff up because of how badly I want to see it...

I swear, I've read it being "confirmed" on this forum both for and against S3 showing what happens right after 2 ended in the cave. Maybe as a flashback early in the game rather than being the actual start, idk. Or maybe I'm just delusional and making stuff up because of how badly I want to see it...

Well I have watched even the Yu Sazuki interviews that aren't widely known, which when pieced together discloses the ending scenerial, as well as why we're there, but yet still never heard Yu Sazuki ever change his stance on the cave.

I guess there could be a quick blinking flashback kind of thing(like Ryo had after his father was killed in Shenmue 1), but Yu Sazuki has also said he didn't like the mystical ending of 2, so a full recreation of that scenario is unlikely.

I bet he'll show a quick flashback of Ryo, and Shenhua standing infront of the huge mirrors, and them turning to stare at each other when they realized the prophecy was talking about them, but I wouldn't expect anything else.

Back