Shenhua's New Yellow Banana Suit

Well first of all, I usually play in English so that might make a difference. The way Corey Marshall pronounced it in Shenmue II always sounded like "Shenfa" to me, and there is definitely a distinct difference in the way he is pronouncing it now (although it is probably more correct this way). I do think that it sounded somewhat like that in Japanese too though.

Doesn't really matter anyway. I'm really nitpicking here.

Shenwah or shenwa is the correct way to pronounce Shenhua, the game saying Shenfa has always annoyed the hell out of me, so I'm so happy they actually fixed that.

I always wondered about that "shenfa" pronunciation. Was it intentional or just an artifact of audio compression? Also, a lot of characters seemed to pronounce Ryo as "Dyo."

Shenwah or shenwa is the correct way to pronounce Shenhua.

This is absolutely incorrect.

The correct way to pronounce it can't be written in English because we don't have that sound. It's a 'hw' sound, but the H is very breathy and sounds somewhat similar to an F, only without the actual mouth movements of an F.

It's pronounced as "Shenfa" in Japanese as the Japanese F sound is very similar (in fact, the character フ, written as "fu" in Hepburn romanisation, is "hu" in Nihon-shiki romanisation; in both cases it's considered part of the H family) and it's the closest you can get in Japanese. If it were pronounced "shenwa", then it would be pronounced that way in Japanese as they have a wa character (ワ).

This is absolutely incorrect.

The correct way to pronounce it can't be written in English because we don't have that sound. It's a 'hw' sound, but the H is very breathy and sounds somewhat similar to an F, only without the actual mouth movements of an F.

It's pronounced as "Shenfa" in Japanese as the Japanese F sound is very similar (in fact, the character フ, written as "fu" in Hepburn romanisation, is "hu" in Nihon-shiki romanisation; in both cases it's considered part of the H family) and it's the closest you can get in Japanese. If it were pronounced "shenwa", then it would be pronounced that way in Japanese as they have a wa character (ワ).

You do realize that Shenhua is Chinese right?, and Eglish is 100% versatile, so that's incorrect. The Japanese cant even say Xin(pronounced zin) for crying out loud. Seriously the closest thing to that the Japanese tongue can create is "shin". This is a very common problem with Japanese, and they screwup Chinese names literally all the time.

Providing the h Isn't silent, which is usually is, hw can be made with the English language(each letter makes a sound, and there's a reason the English Alphabet don't use characters that represent sounds that would otherwise require a combination of letters(this is what makes English so versatile, you can literally make any word up) . It's hard to explain in text, but it would softer her name, it would still largely sound the same, but link of it being the exact opposite of rolling the Rs in French, but with the wa/wah.

Well, then they're still pronouncing it wrong, because in Chinese, it wouldn't be pronounced fa.

Last edited:
You do realize that Shenhua is Chinese right?
Did I say anything that suggested I didn't?

and Eglish is 100% versatile, so that's incorrect.
Complete crap. English covers less than 5% of phonemes.

The Japanese cant even say Xin(pronounced zin) for crying out loud.
Case in point. Xin isn't pronounced 'zin'. Again, it's not something that can be written in English (here's a hint: if 'zin' was an accurate writing of the way it's pronounced, it'd be written 'zin' and not 'xin'); it's not even a voiced consonant so 'zin' is completely wrong. It's a sharp S sound that's slightly muffled towards an SH.

Seriously the closest thing to that the Japanese tongue can create is "shin". This is a very common problem with Japanese, and they screwup Chinese names literally all the time.
As do English speakers, as you're so handily demonstrating.

Providing the h Isn't silent, which is usually is
It usually isn't.

hw can be made with the English language(each letter makes a sound, and there's a reason the English Alphabet don't use characters that represent sounds that would otherwise require a combination of letters(this is what makes English so versatile, you can literally make any word up)
Each letter doesn't make a sound. If it did we wouldn't have words that are spelt the same but pronounced differently.

Basically what you're saying is complete nonsense that can be easily debunked with the barest minimum of knowledge or research.

Did I say anything that suggested I didn't?

Complete crap. English covers less than 5% of phonemes.

Case in point. Xin isn't pronounced 'zin'. Again, it's not something that can be written in English (here's a hint: if 'zin' was an accurate writing of the way it's pronounced, it'd be written 'zin' and not 'xin'); it's not even a voiced consonant so 'zin' is completely wrong. It's a sharp S sound that's slightly muffled towards an SH.

As do English speakers, as you're so handily demonstrating.

It usually isn't.

Each letter doesn't make a sound. If it did we wouldn't have words that are spelt the same but pronounced differently.

Basically what you're saying is complete nonsense that can be easily debunked with the barest minimum of knowledge or research.

Do you speak Japanese by any chance, because seem to be trying to say, Chinese is anything like Japanese, when infact it has more incommon with English. You can't go twisting things around, to rationalize the Japanese changing proper nouns.

There's a reason why companies that care about a accurate translation, translates Chinese to English, and not translate the Japanese translation of such, to English.

Do you speak Japanese by any chance, because seem to be trying to say, Chinese is anything like Japanese, when infact it has more incommon with English. You can't go twisting things around, to rationalize the Japanese changing proper nouns.

The fuck are you even talking about now?

Chinese doesn't have much in common with either Japanese or English phonetically. I don't recall saying otherwise.

I'm saying that you saying that the Chinese character 花 ("hua") is pronounced "wah" is even more wrong than the Japanese pronounciation "fa". It's a 'hw' sound, but the H is very breathy and sounds somewhat similar to an F, only without the actual mouth movements of an F.

What the fuck is this "rationalize the Japanese changing proper nouns" bullshit? They're not changing it, they're trying to pronounce it with their phonemes, much like you're failing to do.

There's a reason why companies that care about translation, translates Chinese to English, and not translate the Japanese translation of such, to English.

Of course. If you translate something twice you get double the number of things lost in translation.

I don't understand how this is in any way relevant to anything I've said.

It is kind of weird that Yu changed Shenhua's entire appearance so profoundly but I'm over it tbh.

The old costume will be available as DLC at some point down the line and most fans who care enough about Shenhua's clothing will buy season passes anyway so that won't be a big issue.

It is kind of weird that Yu changed Shenhua's entire appearance so profoundly but I'm over it tbh.

The old costume will be available as DLC at some point down the line and most fans who care enough about Shenhua's clothing will buy season passes anyway so that won't be a big issue.

Even though we all know including Yu Suzuki that Sega Isn't petty, I'm pretty positive this was done to make Shenhua's design distinctly Shenmue 3, as Yu Suzuki has 100% ownership of 3(which includes all marketing material, as well as "merchandising" opportunities), so yea it is what it is(a good business move).

Even though we all know including Yu Suzuki that Sega Isn't petty, I'm pretty positive this was done to make Shenhua's design distinctly Shenmue 3, as Yu Suzuki has 100% ownership of 3(which includes all marketing material, as well as "merchandising" opportunities), so yea it is what it is(a good business move).
My guess is that Shenhuas new banana suit (and Niao Suns sexy suit) were originally supposed to be their alternate outfits. However after nearly 20 years Yu Suzuki wanted to freshen things a bit and decided to use their alternate outfits as their default outfits. The exact same thing happened in the Castlevanian Legacy of Darkness of N64.

Back