Shenhua's Prophecy. (Speculation, spoilers)

Currently playing
Yakuza 0 (PS4)
PSN
HoshiGAKiteiku
So, it appears that shit is GOING DOWN in Shenmue 3 going by the latest trailer. Ryo, vs Lan Di. And was that Ren turning Ryo over to Lan di and betraying him?
But really what I want to talk about is Shenhua's prophecy. The latest version goes:

From a distant land in the east, from across the sea, he shall appear.
He does not know of the strength hidden within him.
The strength that would destroy him.
The strength that would fulfill his wishes.

When he is ready, he shall seek me out.
And we will brave together, the rocky path.

I shall wait.
This encounter has been my destiny since ancient times.

A dragon shall emerge from the Earth, and dark clouds shall obscure the heavens.
A phoenix shall descend from above. Its' wings shall create a purple wind.
In the midst of the pitch-black night, a morning star shall glisten... alone...

This is some really apocalyptic shit! Is this literal Dragons, and Phoenixes? Is the world going to be destroyed? Is this purple wind, some kind of magical natural disaster that will drive everything into chaos?

Is Ryo neither the Phoenix, or the Dragon but the morning star? And Shenhua the Phoenix?

Is Lan Di Really evil? I don't know. I personally think it's more complicated than that.

Last edited:
Ren betraying Ryo to Lan Di. That's an interesting theory man but what made you think that? Maybe I missed something in the trailer..

Yeah I didn't notice that at all... but then again the video I saw was choppy as fuck...

Yea that chop was odd. But it's not the actual game running, so unless it was the stream or whatever.

Either way... I am just hoping the white hair/black jacket dude in the background is not Ziming Hong. Please don't let it be him.

Edit: DUDE! Ren could betray Ryo??? Holy shit!

I don't feel like Ren would even need to turn Ryo over to Lan-Di.

Lan-Di could probably swoop in and take out Ryo any time he wants. He probably just didn't view Ryo as a threat until the helicopter scene at the top of the Yellow Head Building. I get the impression that the scene from the trailer is Lan-Di confronting Ryo and not the other way round.

I don't feel like Ren would even need to turn Ryo over to Lan-Di.

Lan-Di could probably swoop in and take out Ryo any time he wants. He probably just didn't view Ryo as a threat until the helicopter scene at the top of the Yellow Head Building. I get the impression that the scene from the trailer is Lan-Di confronting Ryo and not the other way round.

I dont know dude. I have a bad, BAD feeling! Ren is just standing there whilst Ryo is fighting away, then Lan Di shows up in the same room....

Its just not sitting right with me at all.

I dont know dude. I have a bad, BAD feeling! Ren is just standing there whilst Ryo is fighting away, then Lan Di shows up in the same room....

Its just not sitting right with me at all.
Ren's got a habit for just standing around whilst Ryo does the work. He's just in it for the 'treasure'.
Participating in the fight would potentially make him an enemy of Lan-Di which I'm sure he doesn't want. The only reason he's there is probably in case he overhears something about the supposed Qing Dynasty Treasure.

Ren's got a habit for just standing around whilst Ryo does the work. He's just in it for the 'treasure'.
Participating in the fight would potentially make him an enemy of Lan-Di which I'm sure he doesn't want. The only reason he's there is probably in case he overhears something about the supposed Qing Dynasty Treasure.
Lan Di could be using Ryo as a pawn. Ren turning him over might be a part of the plan.

Could very well be just be Ren being Ren, pretending to turn Ryo over just to get his opening and then the two participate in more jolly cooperation...

Th
Yeah I didn't notice that at all... but then again the video I saw was choppy as fuck...
The video shared on the dojo Facebook is much better.

The thing is, I get the feeling that Ren led Ryo into that room and tricked him into a Lan Di trap. I don't think Ryo knew Lan Di was gonna show up, as he looked kinda surprised to see him there. Also take into account that Ren is hanging FAR BACK, and just chilling by the entrance to the door and doesn't look ready to give Ryo any support at all, like he knew that shit was about to go down but doesn't wanna fight.

There is no way Lad Di would do dussines with Ren. If Lan Di wanted Ryo i believe he has ways to get him without Ren's help. Also i do not see Ren betraying Ryo. Remember the rooftop? He's not giving up ;)

I think Ren will have a way to arrange a meeting with Lan Di through some of Ren's more unfavorable friends in the criminal underground. I am thinking somewhere through the journey, you reconnect with Ren who runs into somebody he knows or a friend of a friend that happens to be in the Chi You Men. Perhaps he purposely "turns over" Ryo to Lan Di as part of a plan with Ryo so that Ryo can be face to face with him.

Either way, I suspect that meeting with Lan Di and Ryo will either end in Lan Di beating Ryo down but sparing his life and telling him to go back home and stop his journey, or something else happening that leaves the meeting open ended. I don't think that will be the final meeting between the two.

Time to speculate :

Chapter 9 looks like a huge fight with people riding horses (Chiyoumen's army ? Ren has an important role in that particular part or he wouldn't be in the upper left corner of the artwork).

Not sure if it will happen at all but yeah, I think that Ren is going to betray Ryo at some point during the story (greed ?) and will die. Ryo is holding him (but is he dead ?) during chapter 10 and is heading toward Chiyoumen HQ (or seems like it), either to face Lan Di or Tentei. The guy we can see in the sky is not Ren (different hair).

Niao Sun is coming back a lot (chapters 5-6-7) and she's gone once we enter chapter 8. Chances of defeating her while playing Shenmue III are high.

Regarding the prophecy, it depends on how Shenmue story will unfold. If it's something related to Magic stuff, I can see both mirrors being used to revive Chiyou, but not sure how we're going to face a real monster. Or, it's the Dynasty Tang's treasure (real money) and Ryo will try to make sure Chiyoumen do not get their hands on it.

I suppose they'll go for the first route based on what we saw at the end of Shenmue II (flying sword) and I'm not even adding the stuff from Project Berkley (Shenhua's shockwave etc).

Once again, this is pure speculation.

gdcchapters.jpg

Regarding the prophecy, it depends on how Shenmue story will unfold. If it's something related to Magic stuff, I can see both mirrors being used to revive Chiyou, but not sure how we're going to face a real monster. Or, it's the Dynasty Tang's treasure (real money) and Ryo will try to make sure Chiyoumen do not get their hands on it.

I am really hoping that Shenmue does not take a strong supernatural turn. I don't really mind a little of it, like the ending of Shenmue II, because it sort of adds to the cinematic production, and I know mysticism is a huge part of far eastern culture, but I am hoping that there's no way we actually fight a literal monster at any point in the series. I am hoping that they are allegories for something else, perhaps, like you said, vast treasures.

Back