Shenmue 1 - Satellite view & isometric view of the whole world (warning: very large images!)

Or time/budget considerations? Wasn't Nagoshi assigned to the project at one point to sort of set some deadlines and get the game finished? Or am I thinking of Shenmue II?

Wow that really gives you a great sense of scale of the world and just how long the road really is.

Or time/budget considerations? Wasn't Nagoshi assigned to the project at one point to sort of set some deadlines and get the game finished? Or am I thinking of Shenmue II?

Yeah, the first game. Shenmue 2 in development first, right? During the time Suzuki decided to make Yokosuka a full game I believe he was going a little overboard with the hometown intricacies, which astounds me because of how damn detailed the game came out. After helping finish, I'm pretty sure Nagoshi was reassigned back to his normal team to begin Super Monkey Ball or Spike-out?

The larger scope and action-oriented, foreign setting of Hong Kong/Kowloon likely made it easier to forget the small complexities knowing there'd be so much more minigame and story opportunity. The every-character-routine and every-drawer-opening interactions (regardless of hardware and software constraints then or now with bigger maps and more NPCs) became unrealistic and virtually unnecessary. Therefor, no need for Nagoshi to set a hard deadline--if his influence didn't have a lasting affect on Yu, considereing how much they respect one another.

Bear in mind, much/all of this is presumptuous, at best haha

Back