Shenmue 3 - a fighting game with RPG elements or an open world game/RPG with fighting game elements?

Just wondering how people see this franchise progressing after Shenmue III.
Do you see it progressing more as a fighting game series with RPG elements or do you think there will be more emphasis on it being a RPG series with some fighting game elements?

One of the reasons I first became interested in Shenmue is because it was made by Am2 and the game had a heavy emphasis on training/developing your characters martial arts skills. The main draw for me was that it's roots was in a fighting system based on Virtua Fighter. Obviously everyone has their own take on what interests them, and people like the franchise for different reasons. Over the years I appreciate the 'RPG' elements a lot more than I did on my 1st playthrough of Shenmue 1. It just wouldn't be a Shenmue game without those elements now.

The revelation that it started life as Virtua Fighter RPG really struck a chord with me back in the day. But these days I feel the fighting game elements are taking a bit of a backseat. Whilst I do like how the fighting system has developed from it's Am2 days, it has it's upsides but it's far from perfect. The sad reality is that you can shinbone smash opponents into oblivion, the 1on1 fights don't feel as rewarding as Shenmue II and the subtle touches and finesse that makes the Virtua Fighter series so respected is kinda missing from Shenmue III.

At times in Shenmue II it felt like I was playing a 1on1 fighting game within a RPG. I really enjoyed replaying through those fights and also discovering new opponents such as Eileen and Izumi. I'm hoping the next patch will remove the weaknesses and the announced DLC will introduce some more variety.

As it stands I'm happy with the game overall and I'd happily fund the game via Kickstarter again.
But deep down I'm still hankering after a bit more as even to this day I still think of Virtua Fighter RPG being the reason why Shenmue exists in the first place.

Just putting my thoughts out there.......

If you thought shinbone smash was op.. Watch this :oops: from 4:28

I guess what I'm trying to say is although moves can be abused... Don't use em. The fighting system can be stylish if you want it to be.

I really like the levelling aspect of 3. I'd like them to restore throws and add more reward for good dodges outside of the slow mo counter, but I think it's hear to stay.

Ah, I didn't realise you could beat the final boss of Shenmue II like that!
I can honestly say I never spam the low kick like that during my play throughs.

Don't get me wrong, I do like some aspects of the new fighting system. I agree that expanding on the slow motion counter would make things interesting, maybe some sort of refillable V-Gauge ala SFV? The lack of parrying is a bit of a downer for me and I'm not able to jump in to a quick fighting session without loading a save file which is the main point of my post.

For example, in Shenmue I after completing the game I could immediately play 70 man battle from the main menu, I could enjoy the fruits of my labour from all the training and enjoy the fighting game aspect seperate from the RPG aspect. There's no such option in Shenmue III, I either have to use a previous save file or get to a specific part in the game. Overall Bailu villiage doesn't have much to offer apart from fighting Gold Tiger over and over again at Martial Hall. You can't fight the other guys again at a higher difficulty level, only Gold Tiger at the same level. For example in Shenmue II you could fight Baihu over and over up to level 16.

That's why I posed the question do some people consider Shenmue a fighting game with RPG elements or a RPG with fighting game elements as some people are looking for different things from the game. Recently I rewatched the original Shenmue II trailers on my DC and it kinda rekindled my feelings from before it's original release and what I was looking forward to. What I found interesting is rewatching the 2nd trailer in the following upload, in my opinion it was clearly aimed towards people who like Virtua Fighter. From the choice of music to the moves and fights displayed, the RPG element took a backseat in that trailer. Compare that trailer to Shenmue III trailer and the whole feeling of the game is different to me.

Starting from 2:33

Back