Shenmue 3 Changes for China

R.I.P, Mr Bones.

y2mate.com-iiitgs_201cgkat.png
When Shenhua runs past, Mr. Bones isn't there!

... is Bailu village haunted?

Actually It's p

I really question that. For blood, in extreme cases, like Doom, and Mortal Kombat would be instant banned, but I don't see them banning blood across the board.

As har as Mahjong goes, I'll believe it when I see it China. For those that don't know, Mahjong is basically in 60# of all movies china has ever produced in the history of movie making lol. As long as there's no real money option, I don't see that happening.

As far as Imperial rule goes, clearly that's not across the board, it must be referring maybe to the last emperor. Movies, Chinese anime, and yes games, especially the ones released in the orient(which because they are PC games, yes they weren't effected by the console ban, thus were released in china) are full of imperial based politics.

I mean we're talking about China, they literally created a genre, specifically full with such settings/scenarios(called Wuxia)

They are the official guidelines, but of course that does not mean everyone or every developer will adhere to them. Like, I’m sure there are still games that contain that stuff, but the government there definitely doesn’t want it in the games there and will continually apply pressure as time goes on, some publishers and developers have already caved. Look up what happened to PUBG there not to long ago, they even gave it a different name.

They are the official guidelines, but of course that does not mean everyone or every developer will adhere to them. Like, I’m sure there are still games that contain that stuff, but the government there definitely doesn’t want it in the games there and will continually apply pressure as time goes on, some publishers and developers have already caved. Look up what happened to PUBG there not to long ago, they even gave it a different name.

Ok fair enough.

Nothing unexpected. As long as there's no mention of rebellion, anti-government messages, conventional gambling, over-the-top violence and Winnie the pooh, games like Shenmue 3 should be fine without much censorship. And by the way, the HK version shouldn't be the same, as it will feature traditional Chinese language and is likely the version to be released in other Asian territories like Taiwan, Singapore and Macau.

It's also worth mentioning that often governments/agencies will apply different standards to local media and foreign media. A game produced in China will be more leniently regulated than one produced overseas, especially a Japanese game; on the other hand, Chinese producers have to implement other stuff (for example, Tencent is required in China to use facial recognition to track how long people are playing games, which feeds into China's Orwellian social credit system).

It's all give and take. "We'll let you have this, but you have to do this for us in return." Standard political stuff, really.

Also I would like to point something out: While they use the same reviewboard for movies/TV, and games alike, I'm pretty positive the blood & Gore rules, have only ever applied to VGs(technically, mistakes happen after all), no doubt due to the fact they are interactive.

This anime I discovered awhile back, is basically as gory as you can possibly get, It's crazy.

Desprite the questionable art direction, and the over the top kill bill style blood splatters, It's actually a pretty good anime(shocking great animation, really fast fully animated action scenes, like no shortcuts that are usually used, and decent story+good characters)

Then again, doesn’t surprise me from a country that bans Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and images of Tiannamen Square on google

Will Taiwan be getting their own version of Shenmue 3?

That's a good question, because Taiwan as far as the entertainment industry goes, is treated like a territory of China(much like Aus is to the UK). It's hard to say, since on occasion, Taiwan did get moves specifically released there, that never got released in China(not due to censorboard or anything, but that's where the publishers chose to release it).

Infact the Chinese publishers have free rain to release stuff there without going through the BS they would usually need to go through, to release stuff outside of china.

Last edited:
Reactions: JPZ
Taiwanese use Traditional Chinese while people from Mainland China use Simplified Chinese, and I assume Guilin will only be named "Xilin" in the Simplified Chinese version.

Oasis Games (the Chinese publisher of Shenmue 3) also announced earlier that they will be responsible for the publishing of the game in Asia region including Hong Kong, Taiwan etc., and Sega Asia will assist them in publishing the physical PS4 version. I don't think people from Hong Kong and Taiwan will get a Simplified Chinese game.

That's a good question, because Taiwan as far as the entertainment industry goes, is treater like a territory of China(much like Aus is to the UK). It's hard to say, sice on occasion, Taiwan did get moves specifically released there, that never got released in China(not due to censoboard or anything, but that's where the publishers chose to release it).
Infact the Chinese publishers have free rain to release stuff there without going through the BS they would usually need to go through, to release stuff outside of china.
Though Taiwan (as well as Singapore) use Traditional Chinese instead of the Simplified Chinese writing system used by the mainland.

AFAIK Taiwan will have the same version to be released in other Asian territories aside from Japan and Mainland China, being traditional Chinese (or English) as the main game language.

Reactions: JPZ
Actually, Singaporeans use the Simplified Chinese script.

Yes, unlike many overseas Chinese communities they don't use Traditional Chinese.

Though I'm surprised they opted to use Simplified Chinese as one of the reasons for its creation was to prevent people on the mainland from reading Chinese material pre-dating the Communist takeover. And therefore helping the regime control and limit what information people had access to.

From Wikipedia:
'Traditional Chinese characters are currently used in Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Macau; as well as in Overseas Chinese communities outside Southeast Asia. In contrast, Simplified Chinese characters are used in mainland China, Singapore and Malaysia in official publications.'

Last edited:
Back