shenmue 3 documentation

For all of you who don't understand Chinese. When the video starts click on CC . then click on the gear and choose auto-translate.

Last edited:
I'm going to continue watching this later but so far a really nice video with the subs. Thanks for sharing.

1536810092025.png

Based on this alone, I give the video a 9/10.
I think it goes too much into the history of SEGA and Yu Suzuki's works.

It's not quite a Shenmue 3 documentary. Its title is "Did Shenmue kill SEGA?".

I must agree with a point made in the video though. Shenmue isn't a fun game, but it's one that you should really experience.

Shenmue isn't a fun game, but it's one that you should really experience.

I've seen other people say this. No offence, but it comes across as a bit juvenile. Most people in this forum obviously have fun playing Shenmue. Saying it's not fun is like sitting among cheering fans in a football stadium and proclaiming "football is boring!".

I've seen other people say this. No offence, but it comes across as a bit juvenile. Most people in this forum obviously have fun playing Shenmue. Saying it's not fun is like sitting among cheering fans in a football stadium and proclaiming "football is boring!".

I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying. "Not a fun game" doesn't mean "a boring game", and doesn't mean "can't have fun playing it". Something can be enjoyable, interesting, and engaging, all without being fun.

I like chess. I enjoy planning an attack, while defending and countering the opponent. I find the patterns of play interesting, and I am usually engaged to the point that a too-early sacrifice leaves me disappointed. And yet, I wouldn't say it's a fun game. It's something that keeps me engaged rather than amused.

Shenmue is very much like that. While there's certainly fun to be had, on the whole "fun" is not the emotion the game is even trying to elicit from you; it's trying to make you engaged in the world, and interested in the story.

I think you're misunderstanding what he's saying. "Not a fun game" doesn't mean "a boring game", and doesn't mean "can't have fun playing it". Something can be enjoyable, interesting, and engaging, all without being fun.

I like chess. I enjoy planning an attack, while defending and countering the opponent. I find the patterns of play interesting, and I am usually engaged to the point that a too-early sacrifice leaves me disappointed. And yet, I wouldn't say it's a fun game. It's something that keeps me engaged rather than amused.

Shenmue is very much like that. While there's certainly fun to be had, on the whole "fun" is not the emotion the game is even trying to elicit from you; it's trying to make you engaged in the world, and interested in the story.

Fair enough. I didn't realize people here don't actually find the game to be fun. Although I hope there's at least a few others that do.

View attachment 1238

Based on this alone, I give the video a 9/10.
I think it goes too much into the history of SEGA and Yu Suzuki's works.

It's not quite a Shenmue 3 documentary. Its title is "Did Shenmue kill SEGA?".

I must agree with a point made in the video though. Shenmue isn't a fun game, but it's one that you should really experience.
你是谁

你是谁

問得好

I didn't realize people here don't actually find the game to be fun.
If I must be honest, I didn't realize Shenmue wasn't fun prior to watching this. I'd always been mildly frustrated with the game at times, and I'd just realized it was because it's not fun. But even then, I kept playing because it's a game that is just enjoyable. It sucks you in, even at its relatively slow pace.

Last edited:
問得好

If I must be honest, I didn't realize Shenmue wasn't fun prior to watching this. I'd always been mildly frustrated with the game at times, and I'd just realized it was because it's not fun. But even then, I kept playing because it's a game that is just enjoyable. It sucks you in, even at its relatively slow pace.
那个什么什么大叔?哈哈。qq早丢了

Maybe you could say that what makes Shenmue fun isn't so much its gameplay, but more its atmosphere, world and story. So it isn't so much a fun "game" as it is a fun "experience". That I could maybe agree with.

Last edited:
Back