Shenmue 3 FAQ's Up. Shenmue 3 will come to Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this yesterday. It was also stated that backers will receive a code for EGS.

Wish I had a big CRT to play some Virtua Cop, it seems like such a cool game and I couldn't fully appreciate it when I was younger. The death of analog and lack of convenient ports makes enjoying light gun games at home such a hassle these days... wish I wasn't poor, lmao. ?
I found a nice 32" Sony Trinitron CRT TV a few years ago at a second-hand store for $5 (it originally retailed for over $3000). It's great but I dread having to move it... it's incredibly heavy and cumbersome! I do appreciate how relatively light TVs are nowadays too, in spite of the tradeoffs of some older games being unplayable.

I found a nice 32" Sony Trinitron CRT TV a few years ago at a second-hand store for $5 (it originally retailed for over $3000). It's great but I dread having to move it... it's incredibly heavy and cumbersome! I do appreciate how relatively light TVs are nowadays too, in spite of the tradeoffs of some older games being unplayable.
I hate moving my CRT, but boy do I love playing old games on it.
Wish I had a big CRT to play some Virtua Cop, it seems like such a cool game and I couldn't fully appreciate it when I was younger. The death of analog and lack of convenient ports makes enjoying light gun games at home such a hassle these days... wish I wasn't poor, lmao. ?
You can find them for pretty cheap at some thrift shops or on craigslist. I've seen people giving away really nice huge CRTs only asking someone to haul them away.

Why would I turn around, a year late, and buy this game after Ys Net and Deep Silver have literally ripped me off?

The assumption that sending me an Epic key in my kickstarter package is going to be ok, and then I'll wait a year so I can buy the version I want is utterly delusional and oblivious to what has transpired.

"Here's your epic key you didn't want. Hope you'll buy it on Steam next year".

Why would I turn around, a year late, and buy this game after Ys Net and Deep Silver have literally ripped me off?

The assumption that sending me an Epic key in my kickstarter package is going to be ok, and then I'll wait a year so I can buy the version I want is utterly delusional and oblivious to what has transpired.

Brother, Ys Net has more resources now to save the saga...they promised folks Shenmue III on PC...with terms that are subject to change...you’re still getting access to Shenmue III on PC...propagating steam monopoly propaganda doesn’t help the saga...Ys Net isn’t ripping anyone off...if you choose not to play the game over a launcher, that’s up to you, but Ys Net is still giving you Shenmue III on PC...

Well literally they didnt rip you off. At all. If they took your money, knowing that they were never going to develop the game then that's ripping you off. You didnt pre-order a steam game with your money. You invested in the idea of Shenmue III, and the vision of Yu Suzuki. In return, you will get whatever tier you backed at, and a copy of the game of your choosing.

Back then, the Epic store wasnt a thing, and yes even in surveys, they did list Steam as the PC option. But that's changed now, and despite it not being ideal for some backers, they are currently listening to the complaints and working on the problem, so please, try and stay patient so it can all be figured out.

You didnt pre-order a steam game with your money.

But that's changed now, and despite it not being ideal for some backers, they are currently listening to the complaints and working on the problem, so please, try and stay patient so it can all be figured out.
1) Yes I did. I have the confirmation in my email.

2) It has changed without my consent. My choice has been changed without my involvement.

3) Who is listening to what? Deep Silver has repeatedly confirmed they aren't giving refunds, and now they're outright saying they don't have anything to do with the kickstarter aspect and it's not their problem. Nobody is listening to anything.

I've been patient. But now I've been lied to and deceived.

For this to happen at this stage shows us a complete lack of concern for the very people that started this project. What is there to be patient for? This is dead. The pc portion of backers is furious and without them, this is all leads to nothing beyond Shenmue 3.

1) Yes I did. I have the confirmation in my email.

2) It has changed without my consent. My choice has been changed without my involvement.

3) Who is listening to what? Deep Silver has repeatedly confirmed they aren't giving refunds, and now they're outright saying they don't have anything to do with the kickstarter aspect and it's not their problem. Nobody is listening to anything.

I've been patient. But now I've been lied to and deceived.

For this to happen at this stage shows us a complete lack of concern for the very people that started this project. What is there to be patient for? This is dead. The pc portion of backers is furious and without them, this is all leads to nothing beyond Shenmue 3.
All I would reaffirm is that YSNET are listening.

I understand the upset around this as the surveys said Steam. What I would say (general statement) is wait to hear from them as things are being worked on behind the scenes. I fully get the initial outrage but joining internet hyperbole as some have done won't help.

Let's stay strong as a community, commuicate this properly and I'm sure a resolution will be found.

For what it's worth I'd give everyone a Steam Key who ordered one and then sell on Epic (if that's possible) so backers have their copy fulfilled.

Are we getting what we were promised now ?
As I said, I don't care if the game is sold only on Epic Store when it releases. I care about getting what I paid for.
Exactly I paid Hundreds of dollars for the Premium content I expected to Play on Steam otherwise I would had not made my Backer reward so high. I feel robbed. Since even if the game comes on Steam I may not get those premium rewards there and be forced to only be able to access them on Epic games.

They haven't ripped you off, end of. You were told you can select a PC version and you can still receive a PC version. It was a binary choice with a binary result.

I understand the upset around this as the surveys said Steam.

That's frustrating for those who wanted and expected it on Steam, but ultimately irrelevant. What is important, in regards to any discussion on whether backers are owed anything from this switch, is what was offered in the reward tiers when people made their pledge and their transaction was processed either via Kickstarter or Slacker Backer. It was very clear; people were offered a PC version, nothing more, nothing less.

That's frustrating for those who wanted and expected it on Steam, but ultimately irrelevant. What is important, in regards to any discussion on whether backers are owed anything from this switch, is what was offered in the reward tiers when people made their pledge and their transaction was processed either via Kickstarter or Slacker Backer. It was very clear; people were offered a PC version, nothing more, nothing less.
What I feel also needs to be cleared up is the digitial elements of those rewards. I would presume they will delivered via EPIC but this hasn't been made clear.

People are getting a PC version, albeit it with no achivements (not that personally that worries me) limited controller support and lack of cloud saves. The game itself is the game, the external support is different.

Sorry but no, you got the whole thing backward. When your kickstarter pledge is done, it has no value because it's considered as a donation. You're not buying anything.

The situation is different though, when you fill your backer survey through fangamer, which is a shop. The moment backers filled surveys, they were filling ORDERS. To the point there were even prices displayed. When I backed on KS, they gave me a 300 dollars voucher to use on the collector edition for Fangamer. On Fangamer, I have a 310 dollars order, which stated: The size of my tshirt, My name in the credits and my platform of choice, which was a Physical Steam Disc.

You got it totally backward indeed. It is the Kickstarter campaign which has not much legal binding while the survey, which in fact is an order processed through a 3rd party that holds a legal binding.

Sorry but no, you got the whole thing backward. When your kickstarter pledge is done, it has no value because it's considered as a donation. You're not buying anything.

The situation is different though, when you fill your backer survey through fangamer, which is a shop. The moment backers filled surveys, they were filling ORDERS. To the point there were even prices displayed. When I backed on KS, they gave me a 300 dollars voucher to use on the collector edition for Fangamer. On Fangamer, I have a 310 dollars order, which stated: The size of my tshirt, My name in the credits and my platform of choice, which was a Physical Steam Disc.

You got it totally backward indeed. It is the Kickstarter campaign which has not much legal binding while the survey, which in fact is an order processed through a 3rd party that holds a legal binding.

Can you link me to any formal documentation that demonstrates this? I don't understand how just because it's on Fangamer it suddenly negates the KS and becomes legally backed. Repeating the word order doesn't make much sense to me, especially as (unless people altered their pledges) no formal transaction took place.

Can you link me to any formal documentation that demonstrates this? I don't understand how just because it's on Fangamer it suddenly negates the KS and becomes legally backed. Repeating the word order doesn't make much sense to me, especially as (unless people altered their pledges) no formal transaction took place.

Sure. I'll explain it in multiple ways.

First of all, it's important to explain what's a purchase, in legal term. A purchase is a contract where two parties agrees on an object and a price. When I say an object, it's a broad term that includes a good, the way it's delivered, how it's delivered, when and such.

It's been established that, when you back a project, you're not buying a good. You're pledging money, with the promise of a reward. It's not an order or a purchase.

When we backed Shenmue III on Kickstarter, we pledged money for a promise. Promise of rewards. Years laters, YsNet partnered with Fangamer, a store, to fulfill these rewards through "surveys". But the word survey isn't correct in that case. We weren't handed Kickstarter surveys, which are usually questions handed on how you want your surveys to be given. We were given a link to a store.

When we first filled the surveys, I distinctly remember that, we had to choose our Kickstarter Reward. A price was displayed, as in any store. These were purchasable items. But because we pledged money in Kickstarter, we had a price reduction in that store, for that item, that reflected the money we gave to YsNet before. Not only that, it was also possible for us to buy MORE items. It was possible to add another game, to purchase it and not back it. Once you choosed your item, you were asked which one you wanted, in that case, a Physical Steam Disc or a Steam Download. That's what we paid for on Fangamer. You always had the option to upgrade or add items on Fangamer.

And when you choosed it, you had a delivery adress to fill. Once it was over, we were handed a receipt of that purchase, and a mail claiming "Your order on Fangamer".

What happened on Fangamer has all the legal qualification of a transaction, a sale, a purchase. A contract where two parties agrees on a price and an object.

unknown.png

At no point, what I filled was saying "your order is subject to change".

That's certainly one interpretation. That's not me disagreeing or disputing your claim, I'm just not a lawyer and not an expert in retail law. Your email specifies that it is a survey and I'm not 100% convinced it does have the same legal backing as a formal order, I tried looking for any legal details or small print on their survey page but couldn't find anything. You could well be correct though, so I'll drop my argument/point.

That's certainly one interpretation. That's not me disagreeing or disputing your claim, I'm just not a lawyer and not an expert in retail law. Your email specifies that it is a survey and I'm not 100% convinced it does have the same legal backing as a formal order, I tried looking for any legal details or small print on their survey page but couldn't find anything. You could well be correct though, so I'll drop my argument/point.

Them dropping the word survey doesn't mean it's one though. Naming a contract doesn't give it the properties of said contract if it doesn't follow the rules of said contract. For exemple, if I sell you something, it's not because on the paper I write "donation" that it becomes one. All of the "surveys" have been going through their usual order process, betraying indeed the nature of those surveys because not only they allowed you to purchase additionnal perks but also used the same channel as their orders (as you can see in the mail headline).

I ordered two versions. 175 for PS4 and 60 for a boxed pc. I’m now being told that my pc version will work with EGS on day one. But this is timed exclusive. Will my own pc copy work with steam eventually? Because I ordered a steam copy. Will I have to rebuy the game on steam when it is launched on steam omg the exclusivity runs out?

If so, I have been ripped off of 60 dollars.

I ordered two versions. 175 for PS4 and 60 for a boxed pc. I’m now being told that my pc version will work with EGS on day one. But this is timed exclusive. Will my own pc copy work with steam eventually? Because I ordered a steam copy. Will I have to rebuy the game on steam when it is launched on steam omg the exclusivity runs out?

If so, I have been ripped off of 60 dollars.
Yes you will be getting an copy for Epic Day 1 plus any extras.

ATM you woudl have to buy a copy on steam. What I have done, and some might want to suggest the same via the Kickstarter is suggest they generate Steam Keys for when the exclusive period ends so that you get your steam copy + the day 1 epic copy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back