Shenmue 3 is really amazing

In pretty much every post you make on these forums.

It's a good thing those posts weren't one liners and actually had arguments in them.

Literally nitpicking the shit out of, "3 random lights that weren't there before," in a CUTSCENE, makes it, "out of place," and, "jarring," (I know, you didn't use that word, but the implication was more than apt. Fucking hate that word...).

Like, really? REALLY?

Furthermore, just mentioning that you did not take issue with the fighting system, does not wash away the literally half-dozen other nitpicks you've mentioned here.

Again, not that you're an asshole/loser/prick/etc. (nothing to do with your character), but this is growing beyond tiresome.

I find that when people argue technical aspects and coding/assets/etc. with people in the industry, who show a clear understanding and grasp of the concepts at hand (ala @LemonHaze, for example), it's like a layman trying to prove THROUGH THEIR OPINION, the validity of the Space Program, to a 20-year NASA Astronaut, with 2 PHDs and extensive training.

Come on, man.

Now, I'm nitpicking. Nice. Imagine, when talking about the fighting system, calling "nitpicks" the following things: Throws, body hit reactions and physics.

Also, I'm all ears from "people who knows stuff". But all I'm hearing so far is "it's your opinion".

You literally have issue with accepting that your opinions are solely just that: opinions, not factual. Liking something is 100% subjective, there are no limits or prerequisites to liking something, therefore it can not reliably be determined.

You can't claim your opinion is factual when the 'concrete evidence' you provide are all up to individual preference. Please stop, you're making a fool of yourself.

So.. Shenmue III is a bit unoptimized, does this mean it is inherently bad? No. It is still your opinion that it is bad. Otherwise, if it is factual, then can you please explain how some people might like this combat system, or hell, even prefer it?

Yes. It is all about opinion, preference and subjectivity.

Sorry, better animations/physics isn't "up to preferences".

To say that "Shenmue II combat system is more fledged" because III is literally missing the throw systems and multiple animations isn't "up to preferences".

You can keep throwing the "it's your opinion man !" but at some point, it stops working. Not everything is a matter of opinions and a lot of elements stands on facts. Imagine saying "it's all about opinions !" if Shenmue IV battle system is only about "one button" and say "you cant say it's less fledged ! it's just your opinion buddy !"

As for your 3 last sentences... cant even understand how you can say that. "So... Shenmue III's input system is worse, does it mean it makes it worse than the one in 2 ? No, you cant say that". Litterally.

Now while I'm not denying the animations in the previous system are great I really do think this is missing the point.

What Lemon is saying is that the way moves are input is essentially the same but III is under optimised hence the delay. I trust his technical nous given hes one of the lead modders in the community.

Secondly while it is opinion that the previous system is better, taking animations out, lots of people have (including me) think 3's system is serviceable and really don't care it's not on a par, in some peoples view, with the previous entry. I've seen people ask why the VF engine wasnt used. Chances are it's down to cost, compatibility and Yu's desire to make the fighting more accessible.

The throws issue goes back to motion capture and expense. Yu said so himself.

I'm playing Kiwami right now and while the combat is basically button-mashing, it feels solid and like every hit you make or receive has real impact. Shenmue 3 lacks impact. The animations are quite poor and the physics just seem too floaty and off. If they figured out how to convey the weight of your moves and got the animation up to a higher standard we'd be having a much different conversation. I think it's all in the animation, not the mechanics. An action RPG shouldn't necessarily have a combat system that is as deep or involved as Virtua Fighter 4, though that'd be very nice, so I don't worry much about the 'depth' per se.

I'm playing Kiwami right now and while the combat is basically button-mashing, it feels solid and like every hit you make or receive has real impact. Shenmue 3 lacks impact. The animations are quite poor and the physics just seem too floaty and off. If they figured out how to convey the weight of your moves and got the animation up to a higher standard we'd be having a much different conversation. I think it's all in the animation, not the mechanics. An action RPG shouldn't necessarily have a combat system that is as deep or involved as Virtua Fighter 4, though that'd be very nice, so I don't worry much about the 'depth' per se.
Fun fact. Wwe superstar Askua did some mocap for the VF series.

Now, I'm nitpicking. Nice. Imagine, when talking about the fighting system, calling "nitpicks" the following things: Throws, body hit reactions and physics.

Cherry-picking what you said that does NOT address the points I made, is a conversation going in circles.

I'm talking about 3 lights in a cutscene.

That is nitpicky to death.

Fun fact. Wwe superstar Askua did some mocap for the VF series.

Awesome! I thought Mocap needed to be done with someone who is of similar frame; she's a bit pudgy.

Is there anyone from recent VFs that is a bit pudgy? Shun? lol

Shenmue III is also amazing, because of the lets play Peter brought us. My favorite part of it being the race for more Choubu-chans! Kudos to you Peter!

And people feel like they're sliding around like the Batman Arkham games.

On the original topic of the thread, I'm falling more in love with the game on my second play through as well.

I opted to wait for the DLC to be released before starting again, and I'm working on the platinum trophy on PS4. I wanted to take some time away after my original play through to try and come back relatively fresh. I was, like many people, a little underwhelmed by the overall story arc and the initial lack of depth around the main supporting cast. However, by taking more time in my second run to talk to the main cast regularly and completing all the side quests I found it helps significantly with the depth issue. It could all be a lot better, but there's more there than I initially experienced.

I did enjoy the world and the 'game' aspect of Shenmue 3, and playing through a second time has massively reaffirmed this. It's a fun/relaxing place to just hang out, with both locations offering a different vibe. It's a relatively fun grind to get some of the trophies (although I'm so sick of the fishing minigame at this point!) and collect all the items, and I've found myself 'wasting' more time in this game than I ever did with the first two.

I guess what I'm saying is that I like it more than I thought I did after my first run, and there are the bones of a really fantastic game in there. If they can keep the majority of the gameplay aspects but with a far greater emphasis on story and character development in Shenmue 4 then we could be in for a hell of a good time.

Shenmue III did the most difficult thing, it feels and play like a Shenmue being an indie game with a low budget, and for that i think that is a great archivement. Some people should value more this. Sure it can be improved in quantity of story, but nothing is perfect and with the limitation of the budget less. Anyway, the hard part is done, the only thing left is that Shenmue IV improve this, and that should be easy now the engine and the base of the games are done.

Also, there are much cool details about story in some "hidden" conversations with some characters that improve the story.

Last edited:
Agree, many forget that this is still and indie crowfunded game, still they managed to create a real Shenmue game and not something else.

Shenmue III created a solid foundation, now it's only a matter to improve and add more contents and story, the same thing that happened with S1--->S2.

Back