Shenmue 3 - Missed Opportunities

So Shenmue 3 was a great game all in all, don't get me wrong. The locations Bailu and Niaowu were both huge and the atmosphere was absolutely perfect. The different colors in which Bailu and Niaowu appear, depending on the daytime, the stairway to the abandoned temple, the second Shenmue tree, Shenhua's house, the Huaxiao Temple, Blossom Road, Vendors Avenue, the Fishermen's Pier (music in those last four areas was spot-on, simply incredible). Those places give me goosebumps just thinking about them.

But several points which held it back from being the masterpiece on par with the first two games were all the more frustrating because they could have easily been done better in my opinion. Let me explain why below.

First, let me exclude the fighting system here. I understand that it takes a lot of time and money to make a great fighting system and I had accepted that S3's fighting system wouldn't be as good as the first two games', especially not without throws. This is not one of S3's issues in my opinion and S3's fighting system is still passable in its own right.

S3's weaknesses are mostly character- and story-related which makes it so much more painful, because those are the two things which Yu should have absolutely not gone wrong on, not in a million life times. And budget is no excuse here.

1) Almost nothing happens in the game
I remember Yu went on record saying the meaning behind the "He shall appear..." poem will be explained. That didn't happen. S2 literally ends with Shenhua reciting the poem and Ryo and Shenhua have hours and hours on end of dialog in S3 but they never bother discussing the Prophecy even for a minute. Instead, they decide to play rock-paper-fuckface. What in the world was Yu thinking?

I also vaguely recall Yu saying that there was going to be 4 bosses (probably the 4 regional leaders of the Chiyoumen) and that one of them would be beaten by Ryo in S3.

Seems he pulled a complete Peter Molineux/Sean Murray on us with these points.

2) Characters severely underdeveloped

Niao Sun: so let me process this. We get one of the four heavenly leaders of the Chiyoumen who has been teased to fans since 1999 as being extremely cruel and taking pleasure in "eliminating people as if they were bugs" and Ryo doesn't even learn her name? It would have made the cutscene ten seconds longer. Instead we get a comment on her tits. Are you trolling, Yu?!?

Grandmasters Feng and Sun
So Ryo has been talking about going to Bailu village since the end of disc 3 of S2 and he meets two old grandmasters who actually trained his father and Lan Di's father and all he gets out of them is "oh yeah, I can't imagine Iwao murdered Sunming but Sunming somehow died after your old man left." That's it, Yu? No dialog with those two characters about Iwao or about Sunming?

The priest of Huaxiao Temple
The priest tells Ryo that a martial artist came to the temple many years ago and donated a move book to the temple. The priest then hands Ryo a move book with the word HAZUKI written on it. Ryo makes a surprised face and that's it. Let me get this straight : we've got our game's protagonist walking up this huge stairway to a majestic Buddha temple overlooking all of Niaowu, epic "Seven Years in Tibet music" (one of the best new tracks in the game, btw) plays in the background, the priest steps forward, instantly recognizes Ryo as a martial artist and basically tells him he knew his father and... Nothing happens. Our protagonist makes a surpried face but doesn't bother to say a word about it. NOT ONE WORD. Again, I have to wonder: is Yu taking the piss?

Shenhua's father "Mr Yuan"
So Ryo, just like in S2 spends pretty much the entire game trying to find some old fuck because he knows something Ryo does not. Then, when he finally saves the old geezer, the game gives you less than 30 seconds of conversation with him. And Yuan basically goes "Yeah, good ol' Lanny Boy was raised by the Chiyoumen and he's now at some cliff temple near the Great Wall. Oh, and fuck you very much for saving me, you Japanese prick!" How does he even know Lan Di went to the temple?

Compare that to the dialog you have with Yuanda Zhu when you save him!

Yuan talks about Shenhua's destiny and finding" the prove " in his letter in S2! Ryo and Shenhua both don't even bother asking him about it! Shenhua doesn't even give enough of a fuck to even join the conversation for crying out loud! Again, like with all other characters, nothing fancy, no big cutscene or anything would have been needed. Just let Ryo sit down with those characters and TALK.

II don't want to sound disrespectful but did Yu even take 5 minutes to watch the ending of S2? Did he read the old script? I seriously doubt it.

Village elder Ye
So this old bitch vividly remembers the day an imperial official came to her village 80 years ago but can't tell Ryo jack shit about what Sunming and Iwao did in the village 20 years ago. Yeah, right.

The second Shenmue tree
So there's a Shenmue tree in front of Feng's house. Iwao practiced Elbow Assault on that tree, Shenhua was born under and named after a Shenmue tree, the game is called Shenmue for crying out loud and Ryo doesn't seem to give a fuck.

Honestly, these are only a few of the problems the game has wich could have easily been solved by a little bit of dialog.

By the time the credits rolled, with the Chawan Music (what the flying fuck?!?) I felt kinda trolled.

They would have just had to enhance the dialog with a handful of characters a little bit and it would have taken the game to a whole new level. This is such a shame!

Last edited:
Some other things came to my mind. I need to stop thinking about S3. The more I think about it, the more weirded out I get.

Longqi Ge - who is Longqi Ge, you might ask. Good question. What he is to S3, Chai and Dou Niu are to S1 and 2 respectively. He is your main antagonist for the biggest part of the game. The game just doesn't bother to tell you his name. I stumbled across his name in the art book. Most fans know him as Mr Muscles, even after defeating him.

There is an insanely long build-up to this fight. You get beaten by him twice, you have to run around town and ask at every martial arts shop to find out his style. Then you have to get over a huge paywall and beat a bunch of guys at the local Kung Fu Hall to finally get taught the super move to beat him by Grandmaster Bei.

Then you go to the castle, encounter Ge in an epic showdown scene on the castle wall... and finish him in a ten-seconds QTE battle. Yeah...

Why not let us kick his ass in an epic free battle and then finish him with a super move QTE afterwards, just like Chai and Dou Niu?

And you have two free battles against him. His character model does have a fully fleshed-out moves set. There is absolutely no excuse for not having that free battle on the castle wall. This is another huge missed opportunity which could have made the whole castle experience much more rewarding.

I have to stop thinking about how weird this game's storytelling is. It's sad.

Honestly..
I cried when they revealed Shenmue 3 at E3.

Now after finally finishing Shenmue 3?
I'm just glad the wait is over.. and I have to announce that I am NOT excited for any sequels unless Yu Suzuki gets his head on straight.

These characters are the worst in the series and this plot is non-existent. I feel that I can literally forget everything that happened in Shenmue 3 and then pick up Shenmue 4 without missing a beat like nothing of consequence happened the whole game and most of the "revelations" we already knew about. I had to be told that Lan Di's father had the mirrors and died mysteriously? That Iwao and Sunming were friends?

Man if this is the storytelling we can expect from Yu Suzuki then he can keep the other 60% of the story to himself.

Right, i just don't get it. Suzuki finally after so many years had a chance of continuing the story and what did he do? There is so little meaningful plot development for a 20-30 hours game it's ridiculous. Especially when by logic it should be (Bailu village for example). I really care much less about Shenmue 4 by now, even if it would be made (wich is not a fact, mind you).

I thought it was funny how the whole 'imperial envoy visiting Bailu' was treated as some big thing, when it's obvious anyway. If the Emperor wants a mirror or two made of phantom river stone, he doesn't have much of a choice...of course he sent an envoy to Bailu.

I've got a theory that most of the mystical stuff has been excised from the story. The Sword of the Seven Stars isn't shown floating in the intro, and Shenhua and Ryo never talk about seeing the thing floating. Also, for some reason, the tapestries of Luoyang and the 'scary mountains' have been removed from Shenhua's house. We don't get told anything about the Shenmue tree because there's now nothing special about it...shit, it's not even unique anymore. The treasure has been doubled down on and i don't think there's any doubt it is just a pile of gold and shit, which is disappointing (turns out the ChiYouMen are only after money...yawn).

Pretty sure Tentei's been cut out as well, or Niao Sun wouldn't be so sure about taking over the CYM.

I understand why they didn't cut many trailers for this...I really do. Because we saw pretty much everything they had story wise in the trailers they did cut. I have hit the point where I'm about to board a boat to the fortified castle...i know how it ends because I've seen the ending already.

<sigh> I really want to like this game, but the story? Shit...what story? I mean I get the whole thing is about rescuing Shenhua's father...it's a very simple plot...but fuck me, nothing of major note happened. This really does feel like a filler episode that's completely about recapping what we already know and not moving things forward in any way. What's the biggest revelation of the game? That the mirrors were made for the Emperor and Empress? We kind of figured that after II when Zhu told us it was a key to the dynasty.

Is it just because we always knew of Niao Sun that it had no impact on us because we knew she was gonna show up? That's the other. We know Niao Sun is after the mirrors as well and there is a power struggle in the Chi You Men. We know that Lan Di's father died of mysterious causes. We know that Lan Di was taken in by the Chi You Men. Again, it's all just bread crumbs and no delicious steak.

I really thought III was gonna answer a whole bunch of questions and then leave with a bunch of new ones to take us forward. Instead, I feel like I'm just asking the same questions. This story feels like complete filler.

It's a shame because I really like the game but the story is just not there.

I'm not too shocked...I guess I had lower expectations for the game as a whole considering the budget. But considering the actual world itself is so beautifully realised and there are ideas within that are fantastic, only to be so massively let down by a story that feels like it's going nowhere. Well, that's disappointing.

Story wise this game feels like a filler episode.

I don't hate it...but I wish we had gotten more, because I feel like we didn't get much of anything new. I really thought we were gonna get more than just more breadcrumbs....but apparently, that's all we're getting.

I don't know...everything else about the game is absolutely beautiful...but the story is, quite frankly, a let down.

Last edited:
Yes there are plenty of missed opportunities in terms of plot and characters, but I feel like the game's focus was fleshing out Ryo and Shenhua, Yu Suzuki did say that Shenmue 3 expands inwards as opposed to previous games, so I feel like it accomplished what it set out to do. The end of day conversations with Shenhua is one of my favorite things in the whole franchise. You learn a lot about the two characters.

And to me, the appeal of Shenmue's plot is Ryo's journey and the people he meets along the way, not the mirrors/Iwao/ChiYouMen , but even still I liked the twist in the end with the ChiYouMen power struggle, who could've forseen that? It's a cool development and makes the prospect of Shenmue 4's story more exciting.

Yes there are plenty of missed opportunities in terms of plot and characters, but I feel like the game's focus was fleshing out Ryo and Shenhua, Yu Suzuki did say that Shenmue 3 expands inwards as opposed to previous games, so I feel like it accomplished what it set out to do. The end of day conversations with Shenhua is one of my favorite things in the whole franchise. You learn a lot about the two characters.

And to me, the appeal of Shenmue's plot is Ryo's journey and the people he meets along the way, not the mirrors/Iwao/ChiYouMen , but even still I liked the twist in the end with the ChiYouMen power struggle, who could've forseen that? It's a cool development and makes the prospect of Shenmue 4's story more exciting.

Yeah, that stuff's great. I love that stuff and dare I say it the peak of the game for me.

Honestly, after leaving Bailu, I felt the game kind of dipped for me. Chobu was nice, but I don't know...lacked a certain charm that it never quite got back after Bailu. Like I said I don't hate the game by any means...but it's still just a bit of a let down that the story was kinda all filler and no real killer come the end of it.

Yeah, that stuff's great. I love that stuff and dare I say it the peak of the game for me.

Honestly, after leaving Bailu, I felt the game kind of dipped for me. Chobu was nice, but I don't know...lacked a certain charm that it never quite got back after Bailu. Like I said I don't hate the game by any means...but it's still just a bit of a let down that the story was kinda all filler and no real killer come the end of it.
Niaowu has a large variety of gameplay venues but it feels void of any interesting characters and interactions, there is no one to talk to... even the objectives are a repeat of Bailu's (Find thugs, lose to thug boss, find master to train you, pay to learn a move) It felt like they ran out of money for sure

I feel like this game was a victim of the Kickstarter's success, at least plotwise and character-wise. Shenmue III was supposed to focus on this intimate relationship between Ryo and Shenhua, the Rapport System was one of the first stretch goals, and instead we get... some optional dialogue before going to sleep? And you don't even get to choose your responses? What on earth happened here?

Everything I was personally looking forward to in Shenmue III gameplay-wise seems to have been excised in favour of fan service and going "big". Bailu and Niaowu are impressively big in size, and there's the arcades and of course the forklift... but what about the Rapport System? The Character Perspective System? Baisha, its Inflitration Mission, and the Siege Wargame? All of that... gone. I think with the influx of cash, Suzuki-san got overly ambitious as with the first game. But with the first game, even if the plot advanced slowly, there were characters we knew and love and you could really feel like you were living in Dobuita. And in 1999, he had Sega and an army of employees to bail him out. Now we end up with a game where it is painfully obvious that so much was left on the cutting room floor.

And the lack of advancement in the plot, after eighteen years... I feel like the priorities here were almost completely backwards.

It's such a shame, because there's some great stuff here (gorgeous environments, some of the character models are good, and I even like the combat system), but it's all in service of an entry to the series that adds nothing to the plot or characters.

I was very frustrated that the game kept telling me that the bad guy in Niaowu was so tough and unbeatable when everytime i fought him in game i was kicking his ass.

Beat him with ryo easy. Oh nope he's apparently too hard. Beat him again with Ren. Nope somehow still too hard even though we kicked his ass. Let's find a way to beat him... let's guess what stupid animal he looks like for a million hours at a million shops because fuck if I know the animal. Oh I finally guessed it? Pay 5000 to learn a move to finally beat the guy I CAN ALREADY BEAT! I wanted to smash my head through my tv.

One thing I realised when I finished Shenmue III was that this is the first entry where we've had the creator tell us from the beginning what he planned for the game. So when things like the Character Perspective System or the Rapport System get the axe, or Baisha, we know about it. Whereas we didn't really know about features that were planned for the first two games that were cut, save for a few inconsequential things like the bicycle.

That said, I can't see how it wouldn't be obvious to anyone that the ending of this game was rushed. They really needed to stick the landing and they sadly didn't.

I was very frustrated that the game kept telling me that the bad guy in Niaowu was so tough and unbeatable when everytime i fought him in game i was kicking his ass.

Beat him with ryo easy. Oh nope he's apparently too hard. Beat him again with Ren. Nope somehow still too hard even though we kicked his ass. Let's find a way to beat him... let's guess what stupid animal he looks like for a million hours at a million shops because fuck if I know the animal. Oh I finally guessed it? Pay 5000 to learn a move to finally beat the guy I CAN ALREADY BEAT! I wanted to smash my head through my tv.

I HATED the fact that it literally let you drain his health meter both times. If they wanted to do that, make his health go down much slower and fade out like Shenmue 2.

Yes, the Shenhua conversations were great and kind of like the ones during the hike in S2 but the most obvious conversation doesn't even happen in the game.

"Oh, Ryo! Do you remember the letter from my father from the intro of this game and the final scene of S2? Yeah, the one next to the huge stone carvings of the mirrors your father had. You wanna talk about it? No? You're right, Id also rather play rock-paper scissors with stupid faces.

Who cares about our destiny, or the mirrors, or what your father did in my village?"

I agree, a large part of the appeal have always the characters but while S1 & 2 introduced interesting characters like Lan Di, Guizhang, Ren, Zhu, Xiuying, Yuan, or even minor ones like Shozo, Yamagishi or Jianmin or Izumi and Eileen, S3 introduced zero interesting bew characters.

All of the characters I mentioned could have been great, could have been interesting, but they are all underdeveloped af and none of them matters. Even a key villain like Niao Sun has absolutely no impact to the story and her kidnapping of Shenhua feels completely artificial. It's shoe-horned in and serves no purpose. She could have just used Shenhua's father to get Ryo and leave a letter at the reception saying :"If you want your father to survive, bring me the mirror to the castle."

I feel like this game was a victim of the Kickstarter's success, at least plotwise and character-wise. Shenmue III was supposed to focus on this intimate relationship between Ryo and Shenhua, the Rapport System was one of the first stretch goals, and instead we get... some optional dialogue before going to sleep? And you don't even get to choose your responses? What on earth happened here?

you do get to choose your responses with Shenhua. What are you talking about? I had multiple conversations with her that could have went in numerous topics depending on choice.

you do get to choose your responses with Shenhua. What are you talking about? I had multiple conversations with her that could have went in numerous topics depending on choice.

When did this happen? I tried talking to her every night, every day... This is probably a bad on my part but I could never get conversations to start with her :/ Always repeated the same dialogue over and over.

When did this happen? I tried talking to her every night, every day... This is probably a bad on my part but I could never get conversations to start with her :/ Always repeated the same dialogue over and over.

After the initial conversation you get when you warp back home in Bailu. You just walk up to her and talk to her. They go on with random topics and you get pick the topics when she asked you in return about you.

you keep doing this and she starts waking you up in the morning, if you don’t then you get woken by the alarm on your watch.

keep talking to her and you eventually get to play rock, paper, scissors with her.

After the initial conversation you get when you warp back home in Bailu. You just walk up to her and talk to her. They go on with random topics and you get pick the topics when she asked you in return about you.

you keep doing this and she starts waking you up in the morning, if you don’t then you get woken by the alarm on your watch.

keep talking to her and you eventually get to play rock, paper, scissors with her.

Thanks; is that while she's cooking, or while she's knitting? Are there any extra dialogues in Niaowu? The only ones I got there were going out to her on the balcony before bed. Right now I'm bummed by the ending so not in the mood for a replay but if I do play the game again I'll try to get this to work since I could never do so.

Yes, the Shenhua conversations were great and kind of like the ones during the hike in S2 but the most obvious conversation doesn't even happen in the game.

"Oh, Ryo! Do you remember the letter from my father from the intro of this game and the final scene of S2? Yeah, the one next to the huge stone carvings of the mirrors your father had. You wanna talk about it? No? You're right, Id also rather play rock-paper scissors with stupid faces.

Who cares about our destiny, or the mirrors, or what your father did in my
Well, actually that is mentioned in one of the conversations with Shenhua at night (I only got it on my second playthrough). Ryo says something about finding her father and then says he needs to ask him about the mirror and his letter. It still isn’t extensive and the conversation pretty much ends there.

Thanks; is that while she's cooking, or while she's knitting? Are there any extra dialogues in Niaowu? The only ones I got there were going out to her on the balcony before bed. Right now I'm bummed by the ending so not in the mood for a replay but if I do play the game again I'll try to get this to work since I could never do so.

cooking or knitting. You just walk up to her and talk to her and then then they talk much like they did in Shenmue II

Back