Shenmue 3 - Missed Opportunities

I wonder if the deals with Deep Silver and Epic lead to a lot of the cut things story wise being hidden in the DLC content to come. Yu happy with what he presented in the game proper as he knew could explain and tease further stuff in that. And of course with us all being avid fans we’ll pay up to see what it is, has he given a timeline when we should expect it by the way?

I hid away from reading a lot of the stuff in the build up and avoided the trailers bar glancing on here to wet my appetite. While mightily tough it actually lead to me enjoying the twists (although too brief) the game did provide such as Niao Sun being the lady on the boat and seeing her in Niaowu too around Vendor Avenue. I also managed to spot the Phoenix Mirror replica in the antiques shop quite early, and got the phantom river stone cut scene a bit later in the same shop so the pay off with Ren I liked too. I think that is one of the problems really, Yu was relying on us taking our time looking for this stuff between training and making cash, but even with the side characters like Bei, Hsu and the Shrine Maiden I visited a fair few times to flesh it out for myself but there wasn’t enough there. So them showing up for the trip to the castle was nice, it wasn’t built up enough. Maybe even if just Ren telling you about them in the morning cutscene you have with him?

I’m trying my best to be on the fence and not as negative as I probably should be as everyone is right to critique the lack of story and explanations, but I’ve waited this long for this and loved the game so much even with the final section I have to be biased and say I’m more than happy.

Well, actually that is mentioned in one of the conversations with Shenhua at night (I only got it on my second playthrough). Ryo says something about finding her father and then says he needs to ask him about the mirror and his letter. It still isn’t extensive and the conversation pretty much ends there.
It does get discussed? Thanks for the heads-up. Will have to look for it on subsequent playthroughs. Was it in Shenhua's house or in the hotel?

Then again, that kind of makes it worse. If Shenhua even mentions it, why the heck does nobody ask Old Yuan about it when they finally rescue him? Shenhua even prefers chilling out instead of joining the conversation between Ryo and her stepfather.

It does get discussed? Thanks for the heads-up. Will have to look for it on subsequent playthroughs. Was it in Shenhua's house or in the hotel?

Then again, that kind of makes it worse. If Shenhua even mentions it, why the heck does nobody ask Old Yuan about it when they finally rescue him? Shenhua even prefers chilling out instead of joining the conversation between Ryo and her stepfather.
It was very, very early on in her house. I haven’t even talked to the Flower bird wind moon bookie yet.

Back