Shenmue and Christmas

Shenmue AM2 Podcast

Check us out on iTunes and YouTube
I'm not too sure if anyone else has any connections between Shenmue and Christmas, but we certainly have the last two years for sure. In 2017, I woke up to a KS Update that pictured Yu Suzuki sitting in his office and he had a banner in the background that had our Shenmue AM2 Podcast logo on it:
Podcast Banner.jpg

It 2018 we were asked to be part of a joint project between IGN Japan, Sega and the City Of Yokosuka and the video premiered on Christmas Eve in Japan. A few other familiar faces are in it as well:

Shenmue and Christmas go hand in hand for me. I got it on Christmas 2000, I always make sure to play on Christmas in game, I always play during the winter... etc...

Christmas connections in Shenmue (off the top of my head):
  • Santa Claus
  • Christmas Eve/Christmas Day
  • Snowmen
  • Snow
  • Decorations
  • Christmas music
  • Various references in dialogue
Feel free to add more.

It's forever a Christmas game for me. Actually Christmas 2000 is probably my most nostalgic ever. It was that little window of time where the DC had an amazing lineup with more still to come, and it seemed (to my naive 14 y/o self) that the Dreamcast had a chance.

Sega has some great Christmas connections for me with Shenmue and NiGHTS (it's too bad we've yet to get a perfect version of the Christmas NiGHTS that was on Saturn, but I digress). The only other game that compares for me is Animal Crossing!

Shenmue certainly has an awesome Christmas warm and fuzzy feels, but for some reason I always seem to begin a new game in early March, which is still cozy here in Chicago.

Back