Shenmue Audio Restoration Project.

Wow, now thats a story I would want to know more about. Thanks for all the hard work you and everyone else in this modding community are putting into making this the definitive version of Shenmue I & II. Who knows? Maybe after a couple of years we can have something of the case caliber as the Silent Hill 2 Enhanced Edition. http://www.enhanced.townofsilenthill.com/SH2/

I hope that to be the case, too, and luckily for us, what I’ll have will pretty much be the best possible unless we get the original master recordings which may not even exist anymore. We could rip Audio from Shenmue the Movie, but after editing to making them fit to be in-game, the benefit would likely be lost, and it would create a disparity in quality throughout the game that I wouldn’t enjoy

I hope that to be the case, too, and luckily for us, what I’ll have will pretty much be the best possible unless we get the original master recordings which may not even exist anymore. We could rip Audio from Shenmue the Movie, but after editing to making them fit to be in-game, the benefit would likely be lost, and it would create a disparity in quality throughout the game that I wouldn’t enjoy

Yeah I wouldn't bother with ripping from Shenmue the Movie; what you're already doing is more than enough already, can't wait to play with the mod!

There’s a slim chance, but I highly doubt it. I did a ton more work than this (this is all going to be detailed, because someone needs to talk about this, it’s outright unacceptable), but the end result, will be us doing literally half the work they did, and achieving far superior results. There are certain things that they had to make deliberate choices for, to do everything the way they did; and they were HORRENDOUS choices that did not need to be made, and depending on WHEN the choices were made, could even be seen as a way of trying to sabotage this release (although I don’t quite think that was the case). Ultimately, I think it was, at best, a case of giving the game to a bunch of interns and never looking at it again
Can you elaborate please? What bad choices were made?

There’s a slim chance, but I highly doubt it. I did a ton more work than this (this is all going to be detailed, because someone needs to talk about this, it’s outright unacceptable), but the end result, will be us doing literally half the work they did, and achieving far superior results. There are certain things that they had to make deliberate choices for, to do everything the way they did; and they were HORRENDOUS choices that did not need to be made, and depending on WHEN the choices were made, could even be seen as a way of trying to sabotage this release (although I don’t quite think that was the case). Ultimately, I think it was, at best, a case of giving the game to a bunch of interns and never looking at it again

Very curious to hear more about this.
Anyway, thank you for taking this endeavor head-on for the rest of us!

Was that new thread removed? There was some discussion regarding the file format, encoding etc. so I was going to check if there was an update since I wrote there earlier.

Yeah it was deleted by accident. I'll be making a new one in a day or two when I have a release ready. No major updates today, I'm pretty much just doing all the tedium now, which is slow-ish going.

Yea that was my fault. It's a bit confusing since the old one was bumped and overtook the newer topic on the page.

Either way, the 3rd one will be the final one created by Dewey and work will get underway. My apologies.

Yea that was my fault. It's a bit confusing since the old one was bumped and overtook the newer topic on the page.

Either way, the 3rd one will be the final one created by Dewey and work will get underway. My apologies.
Honest mistakes happen from time to time Peter so I'm pretty sure most users can understand your reasoning for it (and in fairness, let's be honest, it was a bit confusing having two separate threads with the exact same title so I can see how one could have easily gotten them confused with each other), if I may make a suggestion, when the next thread opens it might be a good idea to consider locking or deleting this one to avoid any future confusion, just my 0.02.

Ok, thanks for the update. It's a bit unfortunate but those things happen. I might chime in again when the other topic is ready.

I have trouble picking it up, may be the crappy sound card I'm using on this device and the cheap earphones.
I would love a sort of side-by-side comparison, meaning the same scene played with the current rerelease audio and then with your restoration. Keep it up!
I thought that I had some auditory issue because I couldn't hear any discerning differences, but I just played the sample clips side by side, headphones full-blast, and I can now say that I can pick up the difference, particularly in speech (not so sure about BGM). It almost sounds like they picked the already terrible audio and made the characters sound muffled, as if they were speaking with a cloth between their mouth and the microphone.

No need to get snippy; but since you asked, I figured the thread tagged [RELEASE] that was higher up on the page would’ve been a good indicator that this thread is dead. Not to mention the last page or so of discussion

No need to get snippy; but since you asked, I figured the thread tagged [RELEASE] that was higher up on the page would’ve been a good indicator that this thread is dead. Not to mention the last page or so of discussion
Not snippy, and no, there was no good indicator that this thread was dead merely because of the other one you mentioned. The last page of discussion graises the issue of another topic and how it's confusing , so much so that a mod accidentally deleted it.

I think I understand the point now, but I still think you should ask a mod to lock this thread if it is supposed to just be an archive from here on.

Back