Shenmue Censoring

Ren

https://segaretro.org/Shenmue_II

Despite using Japanese vocals in the Dreamcast version, changes were made to the Western versions of Shenmue II, censoring out some religious references and removing one of the answering machine messages with sexual connotations.

Anyone Got a video?
Or know more details about censorship?

Have all of these changes been reverted in the remaster? I only know about Yuan's voice, but what about the rest?
And are English subtitles still based on the English dub when you play in Japanese (i.e. regardless of Yuan's voice the subs will use incorrect pronouns)? Is the cassette tape accurately subtitled?

The english subtitles refer to Yuan as woman for the english dub and as a man for the japanese one (I thought they would be the same sub, but was wrong).
I wasn't watching when the virgin was shown, so I don't know.
And the guy from the stand doesn't have the thing on his head.
I don't think the models will change depending on the language (would be quite funny).

Well Shenmue 1 is using the western (Shenmue US) version as it has the fake coke machines and Sakaurado (your friend from Yamanose down the steps in the yellow jacket) doesn’t smoke. Which from memory he does in the JP version. If you look at his hands you can see where he would be holding a cig.

Have all of these changes been reverted in the remaster? I only know about Yuan's voice, but what about the rest?
And are English subtitles still based on the English dub when you play in Japanese (i.e. regardless of Yuan's voice the subs will use incorrect pronouns)? Is the cassette tape accurately subtitled?
The character of Yuan, a transvestite in the Japanese version, is also made female, and is re-dubbed by a Japanese voice actress.

The english subtitles refer to Yuan as woman for the english dub and as a man for the japanese one (I thought they would be the same sub, but was wrong).
I wasn't watching when the virgin was shown, so I don't know.
And the guy from the stand doesn't have the thing on his head.
I don't think the models will change depending on the language (would be quite funny).

Interesting. So they've used the US version for the remaster (as far as visual assets are concerned). I wonder what this means for the Japanese release next month, though. If that version is uncensored that means d3t consciously remastered the censored assets for the Western release only, which I guess makes sense since the localization landscape hasn't really changed when it comes to purging religious references.

But it's cool that they at least created separate subtitles for the Japanese dub track. I hope someone can report on whether this means the cassette tape is also fixed now. I wonder if there are any other translation differences between the Japanese dub subtitles and the English dub script?
Also, it seems that Yuan's voice is still female in battle sequences (grunts and stuff). Maybe they'll patch that.
Otherwise there's hope mods can restore the rest. The coke vending machine already has a replacement mod.

Interesting. So they've used the US version for the remaster (as far as visual assets are concerned). I wonder what this means for the Japanese release next month, though. If that version is uncensored that means d3t consciously remastered the censored assets for the Western release only, which I guess makes sense since the localization landscape hasn't really changed when it comes to purging religious references.

But it's cool that they at least created separate subtitles for the Japanese dub track. I hope someone can report on whether this means the cassette tape is also fixed now. I wonder if there are any other translation differences between the Japanese dub subtitles and the English dub script?
Also, it seems that Yuan's voice is still female in battle sequences (grunts and stuff). Maybe they'll patch that.
Otherwise there's hope mods can restore the rest. The coke vending machine already has a replacement mod.
They are using xbox version.
Japan may get same game we got. The game already has Japanese in the international version as well that way easier to manage a single code base.

Back