Shenmue Chapter Cards ~ Analysis ~

Shenmue Chapter Cards ~ Analysis ~

ShenmueChapters.jpg

Many Shenmue fans are aware that before the series was named Shenmue, it was initially known as Virtua Fighter RPG. Back in 1996, Kenji Miyawaki created 11 pieces of art, each corresponding to a chapter of the story.

I read somewhere that at one point, Yu Suzuki was even considering making 11 games, one for each chapter. However, as time passed, he changed his mind.

Yu Suzuki unveiled the chapter cards at the 2014 GDC event.

In this blog post, I'll be analyzing each chapter art, offering insights into what I believe was Yu Suzuki's vision for the story at that time. I'll also share Suzuki's comments on the chapters, speculate on which chapter arts we might see in Shenmue IV, and discuss various related topics.

Chapters Arts ~ 1996 ~

In my opinion, at that time, Yu Suzuki intended to arrange the chapter arts in a sequential order, from left to right and top to bottom. When I view the chapter cards in this order, I sense a coherent progression of the story in each art, starting from the first chapter card in Yokosuka and culminating in the closure of the story in the chapter 11 art.

Only Yu Suzuki can confirm whether he indeed planned to organize the games in this order. However, I strongly believe that was his intention at the time. He even wrote the novel "The Legend Of Akira" first, but for some reason, he ultimately decided to deviate from this order and approach it differently.

Chapter Card 1 ~ Yokosuka ~

1.jpg

It's evident that the first chapter art corresponds to the first game. We can observe Iwao, Lan Di, and the black-suited men, alongside Master Chen and Guizhang, gazing at Ryo as he prepares to depart for Hong Kong.

I love that the first game is only the first chapter, i love the slow pace of the first game, the home feeling and so much more, Shenmue I is a masterpiece to me.

Yu Suzuki: To be precise, Shenmue I is the whole of Chapter 1, as is.

Chapter Card 2 ~ Hong Kong ~

2.jpg

Chapter 2 is the Hong Kong chapter. In this artwork, we can spot familiar faces such as Ren, Xiuying, Yuan, and Dou Niu, Wong. Additionally, there's an airplane depicted, which mirrors a scene in Shenmue II.

Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 2 is around 80% of chapter 2

Yu Suzuki mentioned that Shenmue II covers about 80% of chapter 2. However, what about the remaining 20%? I'll delve into that in another section of this blog post.

Chapter Card 3 ~ Train ~

3.jpg

Chapter Card 3 is referred to as the Train chapter. The only familiar faces depicted are Ryo and Ren. Ryo is seen sporting a different outfit this time—a green martial arts attire. I've often wondered who provided him with this martial arts outfit. Was it Xiuying, another character, or did he purchase it somewhere in Hong Kong? I speculate that the novel "The Legend Of Akira" might hold the answer to this question.

In Shenmue III we can change Ryo's clothes, one of the clothes is the same green martial arts outfit, it's a beautiful detail in the game.

In the middle of the card, we can also spot the Phoenix Mirror. The identities of the other characters are unknown, although there appears to be a face underneath them. This face bears a resemblance to Dural from Virtua Fighter. While I can't be certain if it is indeed Dural, considering the series was initially named Virtua Fighter RPG, it's a plausible connection.

I'm eager to see the train chapter featured in Shenmue IV. I believe it has the potential to be a compelling addition to the series.

Yu Suzuki: Actually Chapter 3 was on a train. The scenes take place inside a train. So Chapter 3 hasn’t been
used at all.

Chapter Card 4 ~ Shanghai & Suzhou ~

4.jpg

In Chapter 4, we witness Ryo engaged in combat, with Lan Di and Lao from Virtua Fighter also depicted. Yuanda Zhu is present alongside three girls near him.

Additionally, there's a character resembling Yanlang from Shenmue III, and another character similar to one seen in the final part of Shenmue III—specifically, the individual Ren swiftly defeated with just one kick.

It appears to me that Yu Suzuki incorporated elements of this chapter into Shenmue II. When examining this chapter's artwork, it evokes memories of the street fights in Kowloon. Furthermore, the presence of Yuanda Zhu in the artwork leads me to believe that certain aspects of this chapter may have been adapted into Shenmue II.

Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 2 is around 80% of chapter 2, the remaining 20% was sliced from
chapter 4, 5 and 6, pieces of it.

It was a nice decision to put pieces of chapters 4, 5 and 6 in Shenmue II, Shenmue II has an amazing story, Shenmue II is a masterpiece to me, but i also hope to read the original version someday, The Legend Of Akira novel.

Chapter Card 5 ~ Guilin ~

5.jpg

Chapter 5 introduces the Guilin chapter, where we find Ryo sporting his green martial arts outfit alongside Shenhua. Additionally, Niao Sun's presence raises questions. Could it be that in the original version, Niao Sun was seen in Bailu Village searching for the mirrors? It's a possibility worth considering.

This speculation gains weight when we observe Niao Sun aboard the same boat as Ryo and Shenhua, traveling from Bailu Village to Niaowu in Shenmue III.

Yu Suzuki made the artistic choice to move Ryo meeting with Shenhua to Shenmue II, which I find to be a beautiful decision. However, I also hold out hope that we might someday witness the original version as well.

Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 2 is around 80% of chapter 2, the remaining 20% was sliced from chapter 4, 5 and 6,
pieces of it, the part about meeting Shenhua was originally in Chapters 5 and 6.

Chapter Card 6 ~ Xian ~

6.jpg

The Chapter 6 card represents the Xian chapter. Every time I look at this chapter, it immediately brings to mind many events from Shenmue III. In this artwork, we can spot Yanlang, Niao Sun, and an elderly man who bears a resemblance to Master Sun or Grandmaster Bei. It appears as though he is guiding Ryo while Ryo performs the Horse Stance.

Additionally, Shenhua and Ren are depicted in the art, and the cityscape in the background brings to mind Niaowu.

Yu Suzuki mentioned that he incorporated certain elements of this chapter into Shenmue II. However, just by examining the artwork, I'm uncertain about what exactly he transferred to the second game. The imagery primarily reminds me of Shenmue III.

As for whether we'll encounter the city of Xian in a future Shenmue game, I'm unsure. It seems that Yu Suzuki opted to change the setting from Xian to Niaowu for Shenmue III, but the reasons for this decision remain unclear.

Yu Suzuki : Shenmue 2 is around 80% of chapter 2, the remaining 20% was sliced from
chapter 4, 5 and 6, pieces of it, the part about meeting Shenhua was originally in Chapters 5 and 6

Chapter Card 7 ~ Luoyang ~

7.jpeg

Chapter 7 introduces the Luoyang chapter, which appears to be a pivotal location in the story.

During the initial stages of story development, Luoyang was intended to serve as the primary city setting.

In the artwork, we can observe Ryo engaged in what seems to be training with a Shaolin Monk Master. Shenhua appears to be yelling, and alongside her are Niao Sun, Lan Di, and two other mysterious characters resembling leaders of the Chi You Men. Additionally, there are several Shaolin monks depicted in close proximity.

Luoyang and its surrounding areas offer numerous intriguing locations. I'm truly hopeful that we'll get to explore Luoyang in Shenmue IV, particularly the Shaolin Temple and Pagoda Forest. I speculate that Ryo's next mentor might be a Shaolin Monk Master.

Furthermore, I anticipate that Luoyang will provide insights into Shenhua's past and her parents, as well as shed light on the Shenmue Tree and possibly even the mirrors. It's my sincere hope that Luoyang will be featured in Shenmue IV.

Chapter Card 8 ~ Cangzhou ~

Chapter8..jpg

Chapter 8 is the Cangzhou chapter. In this artwork, we see Ryo engaged in training, having switched from his green martial arts attire to the iconic blue outfit of Akira.

Additionally, there are five unidentified characters depicted. I've often speculated that these characters could be leaders of the Chi You Men, with one possibly being Tentei. However, I recall reading somewhere that some of these characters are actually grandmasters, which also seems plausible.

Cangzhou, the location of Mengcun, is significant in the Shenmue story. Lan Di claimed that it was in Mengcun where Iwao killed his father, but whether this statement holds truth remains unknown. This unresolved mystery adds depth to the Shenmue narrative. What we do know is that Cangzhou/Mengcun will play a pivotal role in the story's development.

Chapter Card 9 ~ Inner Mongolia ~

Chapter9..jpg

In this chapter card, we can clearly see Akira/Ryo sporting the blue outfit alongside Ren. Ryo appears to be either training or preparing for combat against enemies. I believe Ren will play a crucial role moving forward, and the friendship between Ryo and Ren will likely be a significant focus in the next game.

Chapter Card 10 ~ Beijing ~

Chapter10.jpg

Chapter 10 is the Beijing chapter, we can see a face in the up part of the art, to me this face is
Rens face, we can see Ryo/Akira holding someone and the place it looks like the Forbidden City, i would love to see the Forbidden City in a future Shenmue game.

To me it looks like he is holding Ren, there is even a theory that Ren will die sacrificing himself
to protect Ryo.

We can also see Ryo/Akira wearing a white headband, and I believe the headband is Ren's bandana, in a way to honor his friend who died protecting him. Ryo will pick up Ren's bandana and use it as his headband.

I really love this theory and i think it will happen, i believe it will be one of the most emotional moments of the entire Shenmue series.

i even made a blog post about this theory, if you want to check it out go here. >>> https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-theory-ren-will-die.4300/

Chapter Card 11 ~ Xinjiang ~

Chapter11.jpg

The final chapter art depicts Xinjiang. In this card, it's evident that the story is reaching its conclusion, with Ryo/Akira poised to move forward and Xiuying standing near Shenhua. To me, it feels like this moment marks the farewell between Xiuying, Shenhua, and Ryo/Akira. I'm eagerly anticipating seeing Xiuying again. I have a feeling she'll make a comeback in the story, and I believe it's going to be intense and emotional.

Will Ryo ultimately return to Japan, specifically Yokosuka? Perhaps. Such a conclusion would be deeply emotional. Alternatively, he may choose to embark on a journey around the world to further his training and become even stronger. This could potentially signify the beginning of a new chapter in Ryo's journey.

~ Shenmue I to Shenmue III ~

Shenmue I is the first chapter card, Shenmue II is around 80% of chapter 2, the remaining 20% is
some pieces of chapter 4, 5 and 6. In my opinion Shenmue III is chapter 5 and 6.

~ Chapter Cards in Shenmue IV and Shenmue V ~

I'd really like to see chapters 7 and 8 featured in Shenmue IV, along with chapter 3—the train chapter. I think it could fit well into the game, especially considering that Ryo is now traveling with Shenhua and Ren.

For Shenmue V, chapters 9, 10, and 11 could serve as a grand finale. In my view, having a satisfying conclusion in Shenmue V seems feasible. However, if Yu-san decides to conclude the story in Shenmue IV, he'd have to cover a lot of ground in one game, possibly even cutting some elements. My concern is that rushing the conclusion in Shenmue IV might lead to an unsatisfactory outcome. That's why I believe ending the series in Shenmue V would be the better decision.

Ultimately, only time will reveal Yu Suzuki's plans for the future of Shenmue.

~ Final Thoughts ~

That concludes my analysis of all the chapter arts, if i remember more details i will edit this
post. These beautiful pieces were created by Kenji Miyawaki and are a significant aspect of Shenmue's history. They offer valuable insights into the potential direction of the story.

Now, I'm curious to hear your thoughts. What do you think about the chapters arts? what chapters
we saw in the games? Which chapter arts do you think Yu Suzuki will include in Shenmue IV? Please share your thoughts in the comments below. Thank you all for reading, and remember to cherish your loved ones. Until next time, bye bye. ~ Hikari ~ (Hiki)

1_FdBtK5I-rEiA1G-ok-jsVA.png

Last edited:
These chapter cards are so great, really enjoyed the analysis - I agree, Ren is doomed.

I guess he is Ren “of Heavens” after all - clue’s in the name ha…

Well. Unless he gets kidnapped like Nozomi, Zhang, Zhu, Joy, Yanxin and Shenhua.

Last edited:
Here is the quote from David Deville’s interview with Suzuki regarding the grandmasters often confused for shadows of Chiyomen members-

Suzuki: I cannot say too much about this artwork because this is quite far from where Shenmue II stopped. All I can say is that those characters are not Chiyoumen, they are Grand Masters.

Obviously this can change but this was his intention prior to development of Shenmue 3.

The artwork always evokated old OVAs covers to me. I believe that many of the chapters cards has symbolic meaning rather than literal. As for example card 6 being about a master transfering knowledge rather than grabbing Akira/Ryo's head and card 9 possibly being not about Ren's death but fully Akira/Ryo's evolution and thus appears to hold in arms his former past self.
The train chapter could work as a hub for flashbacks to other chapters or story slices.
This blog entry ties really well with your entry for the manga Kenji, imo.

Really great writeup, makes me very excited at a potential continuation of the story...let's hope it happens someday! I would love to see the train chapter, I think it has a lot of potential to be an really interesting segment of game

It’s interesting how YS still mentions that potential train sequence in interviews, even after all this time. He’s obviously got a pretty good idea in his head about that one.

Wonder if it’d be more 70 man battle from one end to the other or more tactical or story driven stuff.

The train part of the story would have been the perfect game on a budget. A few locations to create, mainly different types of wagons. They just had to come up with the characters, the dialogues and the action scenes. Perfect for Shenmue 4 Episode 1 to take the series forward. If the game gets good reviews and sells 500k units at $30 each, take 30% for e-shops, it will make a profit of 10 million. At least on paper it sounds easy. :)

Last edited:
Back