Shenmue Dojo Xmas Bonanza Giveaway!

Status
Not open for further replies.

James Brown

Administrator
To celebrate the first Xmas since the release of Shenmue 3, we are giving away a modest sized bundle of Shenmue 3 goodies to the lucky winner!

Santa Maeda has been busy making a list and checking it twice, and inside his sack are the following awesome items -

70805722_566565044106672_7913277671926089229_n.jpgShenmue 3 - Physical PS4 US Version
(Region All - Great for Shenmue 3 variant collectors!)

Shenmue 3 Steelbook Case

Shenmue 3 Ryo Hazuki Plaster Pack (From Gamescom / TGS)

Shenmue 3 Promo Display sleeve from Game UK.

Shenmue Tattoo Transfer Sheet (Courtesy of icuk)

Shenmue Premiere Tote Bag

Prizes.jpg

Shenmue_3_2019.jpg

Competition Details
Inspired by Tyler Esposito's awesome Shenmue Christmas of 2000 video:

To win this great stack of Shenmue 3 prizes, all you need to do is leave a reply post to this topic with one of your fondest Shenmue Xmas memories from over the years!

Prizes will be shipped worldwide. Competition closes on the 31st December and the winner will be selected & announced on the 1st of January 2020!

Merry Xmas and happy new year folks! Best of luck! 🎅

Last edited:
My fondest Shenmue Xmas memory was when I saved enough money to import the PAL version of Shenmue II for Dreamcast. After beating Shenmue, I was determined to finish Ryo's journey even if that meant spending a ridiculous amount of money to buy the PAL version. I'm glad I did and can't wait to play Shenmue III and see how Ryo's journey continues on.

I hope you don't mind that it is a four part story, slightly linked.

Christmas Day 2000: I was 15 years old and it was probably the greatest Christmas I ever had. I distinctly remember getting a copy of Samba De Amigo with maracas which my parents had to import (at great expense), but also got Shenmue. My father said that he had to look in a dozen shops to find a copy of this. I put the game in and watched the opening scene...then my Dreamcast soft rebooted and I had to watch it again...and I truly didn't mind. My memories are slightly blurred, but I remember it took a week to complete. I remember that Nozomi was my first crush and that saving her was a wonderful memory. At the time, I was a bit of a metal head, but hearing the soft ballad on the motorcycle ride home warmed my heart; that and the soundtrack opened me to a new genre of music that I adore to this day. I was a confirmed fan ever since then.

Christmas Day 2001: Of course, I was desperate to get Shenmue II. I remember it was the first thing I played that Christmas...and I was very disappointed. I thought "why am I not having fun?" Then when I stayed at my Grandma's that night (she lived across the road from my parents), I took the game with me (as a security blanket??) and then it clicked. I wasn't enjoying it, because I was homesick from Yokosuka! It blew my mind that a fictional game could make me feel that way. Once I thought like that, I could enjoy it on my own merits.

October 2018: I am almost a year into my long distance relationship with my girlfriend in Japan. She knew I was a big Shenmue fan, but she was a bit too young to understand it. She came to England for a week to attend her masters degree ceremony (and see me I guess...!!). We spent one night playing Shenmue and I showed it to her for the first time. She found the game a bit strange and the controls clunky, but watching her play it for an hour or so was just a wonderful memory for me. When I visited Japan this May, we went to Yokosuka together and seeing her happy that I was happy was wonderful.

Christmas 2019: Holy shit, I have Shenmue III. I completed it two days ago and for the most part I enjoyed it, although again I was fictionally homesick. I have a good friend who adores Shenmue as much as I do and as part of my Xmas Eve tradition, I go to the pub with some friends, then at 11pm, I drive to my old village outside my church where midnight mass is held. Around 11:30pm for the last few years, i'll give her a call and amongst other things, talk about Shenmue and what it means to us. Then close to midnight, i'll stand outside the church, reflect on the year that has passed, say a little prayer (i'm part time religious I guess???) and then drive home.

So yeah, not all of it is strictly Shenmue specific, but in all of these memories, there is a massive part that Shenmue is interlinked. Many of my favourite Christmas memories are Shenmue related...

And with that all done, i'm off to the pub for a pint ;)

Merry Christmas to one and all! I'm proud to be a member of this wonderful community :)

My fondest Shenmue Christmas memory was watching Pete do his speedrun attempt on a Shenmue Lounge stream and during the stream I released the photos of Ryo in ESPN NFL Football. It was a pretty cool moment for all of the community members that were there and Pete did a great job of spreading the Christmas cheer! I would love to get my hands on that promo sleeve from GAME UK. lol

My fondest Shenmue memory would happen to be this year. I played through 1&2 with my girlfriend since she's never heard of the series. Taking turns playing Roll it on Top and Lucky Hit, driving the forklift and just introducing her to the series. She became a fan of the series and now we're playing III together. She even won me an auction for the limited edition Timex on YAJ that I'm waiting for in the mail.

It feels nice to share the series with someone so dear to me.

Being a Brazilian fan and only eleven years old when the game got out, I was shocked by the way things happened along every second in the game. I remember that we used to go to an "arcade" to play competitive games like F-Zero or 007 GoldenEye on Nintendo 64 but then that cover got me. Sold things, promised others and got my Dreamcast with a VMU to follow my path to that magic mirror. Learned a little bit of Japanese because of the game. Anxious about it again now on PS4

That is my XMas memory

To celebrate the first Xmas since the release of Shenmue 3, we are giving away a modest sized bundle of Shenmue 3 goodies to the lucky winner!

Santa Maeda has been busy making a list and checking it twice, and inside his sack are the following awesome items -

View attachment 6638

Shenmue 3 - Physical PS4 US Version
(Region All - Great for Shenmue 3 variant collectors!)

Shenmue 3 Steelbook Case

Shenmue 3 Ryo Hazuki Plaster Pack (From Gamescom / TGS)

Shenmue 3 Promo Display sleeve from Game UK.

View attachment 6634

Competition Details
Inspired by Tyler Esposito's awesome Shenmue Christmas of 2000 video:

To win this great stack of Shenmue 3 prizes, all you need to do is leave a reply post to this topic with one of your fondest Shenmue Xmas memories from over the years!

Prizes will be shipped worldwide. Competition closes on the 31st December and the winner will be selected & announced on the 1st of January 2020!

Merry Xmas and happy new year folks! Best of luck! 🎅

For me it was recieving the copy of Shenmue ordered from UK Dreamarena which arrived just in time to play over Christmas 2000, I can't remember if it was a LE bonus or pre order bonus. The bonus item was a PAL Shenmue manual signed by Yu Suzuki housed in a game case, I still have both items to this day.

I had a Sega Race Controller because I was also enjoying Sega Rally 2 and I thought to myself, I wonder if I can play Hang-On using the wheel?.......when I found out that I could it was the cherry on the top of an already awesome Shenmue experience.

Happy Christmas!

Attachments

• Shenmue_2000.jpg
    Shenmue_2000.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Awesome memories shared. Mine is slightly different, in that growing up in the Southern Hemisphere our Christmas is during summer. So I would often enjoy replaying Shenmue later in year when it was cold and rainy just like the first game. Still as a late adopter I remember as a kid picking up Shenmue 1 & 2 on Dreamcast shortly after it was announced production was ending.

I remember locking myself away for a while week being utterly transfixed by the world, story and game. Ironically enough I encountered the ground hog day glitch at the harbour so after many frustrating days unable to advance the story I started Shenmue 2 up until Wong chase, until I learnt on Gamefaqs why I was repeating the same day. Seems like another lifetime...

My memories with Shenmue and Xmas would be Xmas 2000

The year befor I received the dreamcast and that years it was Shenmue 1 :)
Shenmue 1 was Released december first 2000 in EU, and I had could seen the game at a friend's house.
I remenber it was the fight VS Guizang in Sakuragaoka. I was blown away! How beautiful it was how the fight was so realitic, the music every thing :)

I couldn't stop thinking about the game between the release et Xmas.

And I finaly got the game !
We know the rest, I became a huge fan of the saga and I think I can say Shenmue had a impact in my life :)

For me it was recieving the copy of Shenmue ordered from UK Dreamarena which arrived just in time to play over Christmas 2000, I can't remember if it was a LE bonus or pre order bonus. The bonus item was a PAL Shenmue manual signed by Yu Suzuki housed in a game case, I still have both items to this day.

That’s awesome! Never realised that was a thing :) looks like Yu has a neater signature these days haha! Your box is immaculate too, lovely :)

Probably getting Shenmue II for Christmas the year it was released on Dreamcast. I don't remember much, but I left the pub early to play it. I also got Swing When You're Winning (a Robbie album) that year, so I always associate the two together, just as I do Hybrid Theory & Significant Other with the FLT section of Shenmue (our kid always played em while I'd drive around in game)

Not the best of memories shared, but what the fuck do you expect? I got it, I played it. Not exactly gonna take the discs with me on an adventure to Stonehenge, am I?

That’s awesome! Never realised that was a thing :) looks like Yu has a neater signature these days haha! Your box is immaculate too, lovely :)

Thanks.

Yeah, I've seen much neater Yu Suzuki signatures since I bought that! :ROFLMAO:

Can I offer something to add to the prize package? I can post it to you if you like.
It's a promo Shenmue transfer sheet which I got when I visited Japan many years ago.
There is a story behind how I got it which I'll leave for another day.

Also I'd like to be removed from entry to the competition as to give someone else a chance to win.

Thanks.

Attachments

• Shenmue_Transfer_Sheet.jpg
    Shenmue_Transfer_Sheet.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4
Thanks.

Yeah, I've seen much neater Yu Suzuki signatures since I bought that! :ROFLMAO:

Can I offer something to add to the prize package? I can post it to you if you like.
It's a promo Shenmue transfer sheet which I got when I visited Japan many years ago.
There is a story behind how I got it which I'll leave for another day.

Also I'd like to be removed from entry to the competition as to give someone else a chance to win.

Thanks.

Wow are you sure? That’s super generous of you! Thanks so much, I will add it to the top posts! Will skip your name too. I’ll speak to you in dm’s later about sending!

Wow are you sure? That’s super generous of you! Thanks so much, I will add it to the top posts! Will skip your name too. I’ll speak to you in dm’s later about sending!

It's a pleasure.
I've also dug something else out which you can include if you think it's worthy of inclusion.

I'll send you a PM in a bit.
I'm still recovering from having a massive Christmas dinner at my Mom's! :D

Last edited:
As a 15 year old, originally watching a friend play it back on release in Xmas 2000 and thinking this looks incredible.... but really boring. I didnt like RPGs at the time, but I loved Virtua Fighter. I kept thinking about the game and thought sod it I must give it a shot...I'm so glad I did because as well as being one of my all time favourite games Ryo's adventure inspired me to take up Jiujitsu and I still practice Martial Arts today.

On a Christmas day my brother bought a cheap console that was on sale with two games, Soul Calibur II and Shenmue. We were so amazed by this game, playing by ourselves and watching each other exploring different ways. We were playing together during all Christmas, and now we both helped fund Shenmue III, even though now we can't play it together, and we are playing it at a much slower pace, the feeling is still there.

Next Christmas, my father, knowing how much I loved this game, found Shenmue II on a store. Every time I went to a game store with him, he kept me away from the game, standing in front of the shelves and hiding the game just while I was passing by. I never heard about Shenmue II being released so soon, even though I imagined someday it would exist, I thought it would be in 2 or 3 years at least. When the three wise men (Santa in Spain, at the end of Christmas) gave me this present, I can totally remember me unwrapping this present as if it was yesterday. I was in disbelief, my mind was completely blown while I was watching the cover of the game for the umpteenth time.

Even though he sometimes seems to have a hard time remembering this story, I still tell him every year.

I love how the scenery in Dobuita changes in the days before Christmas. The decorations, the music, the snow, Santa walking through the streets and even the loading screen on Christmas Day. Also I really like to listen to the Christmas Tracks from the Passport CD. And now playing a new Shenmue on Christmas again, well, it's a dream come true. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back