Shenmue HD reviews and discussion

Mojito

Account Removed at Users Request
As the reviews will start to tick in soon, then I was thinking it would be nice to have a topic where we can link the reviews and give our opinions on them:)

When can we expect to see reviews from the major sites?

Edit (spud1897) Thanks Mojito. For everyone else this is where all reviews, links and discussions should happen. I'll keep track as I can but @Mojito any anyone else posting please keep an eye on the topic and let us knowing duplicates etc.

With all review links could people post a small summary and score if appropriate please?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm kind of surprised that no reviews have been posted anywhere yet. I can only assume that Sega has an embargo in place but I haven't actually heard anything specific to that affect.

I really hope we don't see reviews that dwell too much on insignificant things to a point it overshadows the quality of these games in general. You just know that with the internet being the internet small things will end up being blown way out of proportion by trolls and people like that.

here is a german (digital - so it must be a review copy) PS4 review from Gregs RPG Heaven.

he is a huge Shenmue and Japan fan.
(he also made reviews for all the Yakuza games)
he and a friend made full playthroughs of Shenmue 1 & 2 for channels called Game One and RocketBeans
and every (30 minutes) episode had 30.000 - 80.000 clicks.

(its a review with spoilers)

i wont translate everything because thats a bit too much :laughing:

positive:
- loading times
- general more options like languages and voices
- stable performance
- slighty better controls
____________________________________________________________________________________________

could have been better:
- locked 30 fps
- no continuous 16:9 screen
- no timeskip feature for Shenmue 1
- image looks a bit dark
- Playstation QTE buttons are too bland

____________________________________________________________________________________________

negative:
- old textures are too noticeable in 1080p
- sound quality
- super small screen for Shenmue 2 cutscenes

a solid but not perfect port. the best version in terms of look and performance
but no new big surprises for fans of the Dreamcast and Xbox version.

Last edited:
Another German review. I don't speak German so I don't understand much of what this guy says but he gave the games an 83

https://www.maniac.de/tests/shenmue-i-ii-im-test-ps4/4/

i can translate a bit of that.

Matthias Schmid: "replaying both games in HD made me realize how unique the Shenmue experience really is.
the atmosphere of the 1980's Japan, the respect for older people and fighting styles, the slow dialogs, its all unique.
of course, the games are really slow but you can feel the love in all the details.
i'm totally fine with the HD port - i'm ready for Shenmue 3!"

Tobias Hildesheim: "well, at the time where Shenmue was release, i was a PC only gamer.
so actually i played it the first time now without any experience. 18 years ago, the graphics, the world of the game
and the characters were so unique that the game became a cult classic. but i have to say - im dissappointed.
its always the same mission or task over and over again (talking), the technical side is very outdated,
no comfort features like time skipping or modern controls. asking around dull questions,
playing as a lethargic main character, and working hours of hours at the harbor. - too bad."

"even in 2018 its a very unique experience with a lot of charm but you have to live with outdated graphics
and really mundane question-answer dialogs."

i can translate a bit of that.

Matthias Schmid: "replaying both games in HD made me realize how unique the Shenmue experience really is.
the atmosphere of the 1980's Japan, the respect for older people and fighting styles, the slow dialogs, its all unique.
of course, the games are really slow but you can feel the love in all the details.
i'm totally fine with the HD port - i'm ready for Shenmue 3!"

Tobias Hildesheim: "well, at the time where Shenmue was release, i was a PC only gamer.
so actually i played it the first time now without any experience. 18 years ago, the graphics, the world of the game
and the characters were so unique that the game became a cult classic. but i have to say - im dissappointed.
its always the same mission or task over and over again (talking), the technical side is very outdated,
no comfort features like time skipping or modern controls. asking around dull questions,
playing as a lethargic main character, and working hours of hours at the harbor. - too bad."

"even in 2018 its a very unique experience with a lot of charm but you have to live with outdated graphics
and really mundane question-answer dialogs."

Thanks. Seems like the guy doing the main review liked it but the other guy not so much. Still promising that it got a pretty good score. I hope other reviews are similar.

So far generally favourable and around what we expected.

With all review links could people post a small summary and score if appropriate please?

Back