Shenmue I & II HD preloads live

Just like the tittle says, my Shenmue I and II digital games for Xbox got an update.

Shenmue I weigts 4,17 gb

Shenmue II 9,28gb

Previously they were around 100 mb each.

I wonder what those extra 5gb for Shenmue II are, maybe an HD version of the Shenmue the movie?

1533065907288.png

Maybe this could be made into general files size talk? Quite interesting research I came up with anyway.
I looked into it and while this is in no way scientific research, it compares the two games on a very even ground.
Here are the raw numbers of what the data contents of each disc combined add up to.

Shenmue: 2006 MB
Shenmue II: 3631 MB

The difference is not quite as in the rereleases but Shenmue II is still about 175% of what Shenmue comes in.
One thing to consider in these numbers of II is that they include a pretty big chuck at 304 MB for the Digest Movie and Saturn video, with the former taking up 207 MB.

I highly doubt that they include Shenmue the Movie. It doesn't make sense to include it in a collection that already has the very game it was used to "replace" earlier. Then there is the very likely scenario that the movie is it's own licensing beast.
With higher data compression, the extra room that Shenmue II takes, it would be possible to include this feature length video in there but what is much more likely is that they encoded the Digest Movie and possibly Saturn video, in a higher resolution and bitrate, so they actually take a lot more space than before even. Or we could just dream that there is MORE bonus content in there.

Comparing the file sizes of the originals and rereleases again, it doesn't seem too overwhelming how much bigger they are, if you take into account that they are dual audio and that the voice recordings always took the biggest part of a disc. This is of course based on the theory that they did it like Xbox port and keep every disc folder intact and just throw them together. Gives a lot of duplicates and further copies of files, wich is of course not very efficient at all, but apparently the easiest solution to get things done. After all they already went that way.

Well I hope that means some great content to look forward to. What are the chances Sega pulls a Yakuza 0 and lets us play the game early again???

Last edited:
Not surprising, Shenmue II is a larger game with more information and data sizes are displayed much differently when digital than looking at a packaged disc.

One thing I'm anxious to find out is how they've handled the disc changes.

Without the necessity to swap discs this can of course go away but it didn't entirely on the Xbox either. There was still a save prompt where the swaps occured. Shenmue could go the same route. I wouldn't mind if everything is eliminated entirely for both games but even on the Xbox I missed the bonus art while swapping discs so some kind of throwback could do good aswell.

Well, Shenmue II includes the English dub released on Xbox, which used DVD discs instead of CDs. That meant they could make the audio much less compressed, and audio is a HUGE space hog.

On the other hand, I doubt they were completely lossless audio files, so 5 extra gigs does seem a bit much.

Great to see that it won't take up much space. Like with my Uncharted games, the Shenmue games will have preferential treatment; get to stay in their boxes on the shelf and never have their install or save files deleted.

I wouldn't be surprised if they hold off on the preloads for steam till closer to release. I patiently await, not so patiently!

One thing I just remembered to take into account is the better audio quality of Shenmue 2 as well as the lack of passport disk for Shenmue 1... That still leaves room for some kinda spike in 2's data but these two things definitely explain some of it away...

We've noticed in a handful of cases that higher resolution textures have been put in place... maybe there were more of them available for Shenmue II?

We've noticed in a handful of cases that higher resolution textures have been put in place... maybe there were more of them available for Shenmue II?
Probably, it's harder I bet if they use texture maps, so like a big 640x480 image of a whole bunch of textures tiled together, and the original code says "yeah use these coordinates for that texture".

running all the textures through Photoshop and doubling the size with a "best for enlargement" setting or whatever is great, though going through code and changing up all the coordinates for what texture to load must be an absolute madhouse.

Without the necessity to swap discs this can of course go away but it didn't entirely on the Xbox either. There was still a save prompt where the swaps occured.

There's no save prompt on the Xbox version where disc swaps previously occurred.

Hoping for more bonus content. Even if it is simply any/all Passport features minus the online stuff, old trailers, artwork, etc.

Back