Shenmue I & II mods via proton?

Currently playing
Shenmue
Hi,

Recently started playing Shenmue I on steam via proton and tried to apply some mods that I followed from the "Shenmue Mods - A Step By Step Guide" video. So far I tried the widescreen fix, audio restoration, special K textures and a couple of the various texture mods but I noticed that none of these actually work when I start the game.

I also noticed that when trying to apply the shenmue II textures with special K, Shenmue II stops launching until I remove it.

Honestly the mods are not necessary for me to play but I am curious if anyone ever got the mods to work when running via proton? I did try taking a look through protondb but did find any reports that mentioned the use of mods.

Hi,

Recently started playing Shenmue I on steam via proton and tried to apply some mods that I followed from the "Shenmue Mods - A Step By Step Guide" video. So far I tried the widescreen fix, audio restoration, special K textures and a couple of the various texture mods but I noticed that none of these actually work when I start the game.

I also noticed that when trying to apply the shenmue II textures with special K, Shenmue II stops launching until I remove it.

Honestly the mods are not necessary for me to play but I am curious if anyone ever got the mods to work when running via proton? I did try taking a look through protondb but did find any reports that mentioned the use of mods.
Don't use Special K it's horrendous. We did an updated video. Get rid of all the mods you have installed thus far and follow the update video here

Thank you for the information. I was not aware of the issues with special K mod. Fortunately I had a copy of my installation before applying the mods and was able to revert and apply the "Better texture for Shenmue". Can confirm that it now works!

Did you get widescreen working? If not, it's an awkward workaround but you may just need to use the patcher in a Windows VM and then copy the patched .exe files back across. I can't see WINE working too well with it.

Did you get widescreen working? If not, it's an awkward workaround but you may just need to use the patcher in a Windows VM and then copy the patched .exe files back across. I can't see WINE working too well with it.
That is exactly what I did, just sharing the shenmue installation directory on a windows VM. Unfortunately the cut scenes still do not play in widescreen. I will note that when dragging the exe to the batch file on the VM, there was an error of not being able to find a specific file which I forgot. The batch file does go through the process saying completed successfully. I can probably try migrating install to a native windows installation and do the patching from there but that will probably be more trouble than it's worth.

The batch file does work on Wine like: wine '/path/to/DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE.bat' '/path/to/Shenmue.exe'

In any case all it does is edit some hex values, so you can just use ghex or okteta or whatever hex editor you want and search for the 4 patterns written in the bath file for the v1.07 (like 89 15 1C BB BB 00) and replace them with the corresponding "patch-patterns" (90 90 90 90 90 90).

For mods that use Forklift, right-clik on the game in Steam and select Properties and add the launch option: WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xinput1_3=n,b" %command%

The batch file does work on Wine like: wine '/path/to/DRAGnDROP Shenmue EXE HERE.bat' '/path/to/Shenmue.exe'

In any case all it does is edit some hex values, so you can just use ghex or okteta or whatever hex editor you want and search for the 4 patterns written in the bath file for the v1.07 (like 89 15 1C BB BB 00) and replace them with the corresponding "patch-patterns" (90 90 90 90 90 90).

For mods that use Forklift, right-clik on the game in Steam and select Properties and add the launch option: WINEDLLOVERRIDES="xinput1_3=n,b" %command%
Thank you, will give this a try.

Back