Shenmue I & II: PS4/xbox version or dreamcast version?

which do you prefer? ps4 or dreamcast version?

• ps4 is sooo much better

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • never can beat the dreamcast

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • both are great

Votes: 14 56.0%
  • the xbox version is just amazing

• neither

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • what is a ps4?

• i never heard of a dreamcast!

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Favourite title
Shenmue
Currently playing
Shenmue II
which one do you prefer to play?
there is the classic dreamcast version of Shenmue I & II then there is the xbox 360 version of Shenmue II, along with newer editions for xbox one & ps4.
i am new here so if i have made a mistake creating a thread that already exists, i am sorry, otherwise please share your opinions and vote for your selection.

i have the first and second game for both playstation 4 and dreamcast.

I had both games on the Dreamcast and really enjoyed both. I had beat both a few times on the Dreamcast.

Once the HD Collection was announced on PS4, I sold my Dreamcast and the games with it. I only have the PS4 versions now and that's fine. I find that the camera control is a much welcome addition. Obviously the HD enhancement is great as well given that I had only played it on Dreamcast via regular AV cables.

Dreamcast versions are definitive. The ports have a lot of improvements but too many faults and missing content/features to be considered definitive. I'll still play the ports, they're finally at an acceptable level, but they're still inferior...

I like both versions at the same level. I started playing the DC versions in 2018 before the hd versions where announced and I really enjoyed them. With VGA 480p output the dreamcast still holds up pretty well. I like both versions the same though. for connivance nothing beats the ps4 version. I cannot say that the ps4 port is inferior. Besides a strange bug that Ryo gets invisible sometimes in Shenmue 1 everything was fine. Shenmue 2 had no bugs at all.. Finally I could experience Shenmue 2 without any fear. Finishing Shenmue 2 on Disc was quite a ride. I always got a strange error message and was really afraid I could not finish the game. Luckily with lots of patience and savings I could finish the Dreamcast Version. Bur for a flawless experience I prefer the ps4 version. I will never touch the DC version of Shenmue 2 again. Do not want to see this stupid error message again.

Currently, I play Shenmue 1 on the PS4 & Shenmue II on the Xbox 360.

The HD Ports are one of the biggest disappointments of this generation. I can just about play Shenmue 1 on PS4 in 4:3 (Reluctantly), but I simply cannot even attempt Shenmue II with it's 4:3 & Letter box cut scenes... It's just such a let down! All I wanted as Shenmue Remastered in 1080p 30fps and in full widescreen - I've played many other PS2 to PS3 Remasters do this fine, so I can brush this aside and I haven't forgiven it.

Luckily, I have managed to get the Xbox version of Shenmue II to slightly stretch to a near wide screen image on the 360, which really doesn't look bad at all - So as of now that is the version I play.

I have the Dreamcast versions, which are fine, but i don't have a good way of upscaling them to HD sadly.

I have to agree vivi gamer the aspect ratio of the HD Release is indeed weird. I do not consider it as big drawack though. But thats just I am primerly a retro gamer.at least 90 per cent I play retro content were 4:3 is the standard and just 10 per cent modern gaming if at all. So I am used to 4:3 and it does not bother me because I am playing this stuff all the time. But from a modern standpoint the choice of the aspect ratio i was flawed. No doubt about that. Could be real nightmare for somebody who just plays modern games only and is then just force to back to 4:3 and only use half of the screen.

I'll quote my post from last time this came up:

The convenience is not something to be understated - it's absolutely the biggest draw of the re-release. It was the main reason I wanted a re-release in the first place - I'm starting to run out of Dreamcasts! It's absolutely great that we have a version of Shenmue on modern consoles, and if I only want to play the game (e.g. experimenting with things, speedrunning) then I'll pick this version out of convenience.

The biggest improvement of the re-release comes with massively reduced load times, especially when it comes to saving/loading files. That along with being able to save anywhere in Shenmue (I mean a proper save) makes it great for doing things like grinding the raffle. The new collection screen is pretty cool too.

Every other "improvement" comes with caveats, though.

An increased resolution means next to nothing when very few of the assets have been retouched to compensate. It wouldn't matter that the game's running in 8640p if you still have trees made up of four polygons and a 64x64 texture.

The game's in widescreen, except when it isn't because they wanted to preserve the original art (fair)... but then there are some cutscenes which are still in 16:9 and are broken because of it; there are times when the game is letterboxed despite no cutscene taking place; and there are some cutscenes which have complete changes in camera position, most notably those involving the kitten. Every time the camera changes position there's this strange fading effect where it starts dark and then grows brighter over the course of about a second, which can be incredibly off-putting.

It's nice to be able to choose between English and Japanese, but unfortunately you're stuck with the English dialogue timings either way, so it's a choice between bad voice acting or awkward pauses between different parts of sentences; meanwhile, the audio quality itself is significantly reduced for no reason whatsoever, things like footsteps no longer work, and there are still problems with the music (although it has come a long way since the first patch), especially the Shenmue II notebook mus??????wns everything else out.

The promised "modern" control scheme turned out to be literally the equivalent of pressing the ANALOG button on a PS1 DualShock with a game that doesn't support analogue controls, and as such is outdated by even the Xbox version of Shenmue II. The controls of the arcade games, particularly Space Harrier, are broken to the point of being near-unplayable, with D-pad movement having artificial elasticity where none existed before.

The re-release is missing features of the original games, like the passport disc and the promo movies; there are numerous additional bugs that still remain despite being known about and reported from before Day 1 (many of which should be easy fixes, like the Space Harrier controls or the timer in the motorbike section); and of course, it wouldn't be a DigitalDuck post without mentioning the many crashes.

There is absolutely no way I could recommend the re-release over the original. It's not terrible, but it's definitely inferior.

the bars on sides of screen going from 16:9 FREE play to 4:3 cutscene isn't nearly so jarring as anticipated. Although I also don't mine playing entirely 4:3 so long as it is upscaled.

Last edited:
Though there are pros and cons to the HD versions (the latter having been well discussed around here), it's quite nice to have a form of Shenmue with more save states, easier reloading/resetting, and the like.
S2 addressed some of this (though a bifurcated way: DC soft reset with fewer save states, Xbox save state paradise but hard reset), so it seems less beneficial.
I prefer DC, but I'm glad they're now accessible with greater ease.

I like both versions. It is nice to have a native PC version without having to fire up Demul to play it even though I still would play on real Dreamcast hardware as well.

The games were on a pretty bad state at day 1, i would argue they were close to Silent Hill HD. Now with all the patches its a massive improvement and they are on a good state where i can enjoy the titles but it sadly they are still not perfect.
It is very difficulty for me to choose, convenience with issues or the not as easily accessible original perfect vision. Some days i would say one, other days i would say two.

Last edited:
so they didn't get to patch the Shenmue II notebook music festival on consoles? cuz that was pretty annoying on PC.

Each has their benefits and pitfalls.

The OG's obviously work properly and play nicely with music all being OK. However the textures don't look great on modern TV's.

The new versions look lovely on modern TV's and play generally OK. It's just the music in some cases for me which is a bugbear. I play the modern ones generally but I may head back to the DC before 3 comes as a tip of the hat to where this all started.

Dreamcast for stability .
PS4/XBONE for accessibility.

How do the games emulate on DEMUL these days? You need a pretty beefy CPU, right?

How do the games emulate on DEMUL these days? You need a pretty beefy CPU, right?
Depends on your options, but generally you want a good machine to run it...

Back