Shenmue I & II Subtitle Question

With over a week of Shenmue I & II's release there's one question I've wondered from day 1 that I haven't been able to find the answer for, does the rerelease include a seperate subtitle track for the Japanese dialog that accurately translates the original script or do both audio options use the same subtitle track? The reason I ask is because I know that the Japanese version had more dialog for characters than the English version and I'm wondering how d3t addressed this if they even did at all.

With over a week of Shenmue I & II's release there's one question I've wondered from day 1 that I haven't been able to find the answer for, does the rerelease include a seperate subtitle track for the Japanese dialog that accurately translates the original script or do both audio options use the same subtitle track? The reason I ask is because I know that the Japanese version had more dialog for characters than the English version and I'm wondering how d3t addressed this if they even did at all.
I’ve been playing with the Japanese dubs and have noticed a few mistakes with the subtitles which weren’t present in my original playthroughs on DC with the English dub and subs. I doubt that they rewrote or changed the English subtitles for the English dub and so can only assume that there is a separate English sub track for the JP dub.

I’m sure one of the modders who has been poking around in the game files will confirm this to be the case soon enough.

Have you also noticed the odd little mistake with Yuan between he and she references in the Japanese subs?

Have you also noticed the odd little mistake with Yuan between he and she references in the Japanese subs?
I haven’t got that far yet but am assuming you’re referring to her transgender status? I wonder whether that one might have been intentional.

I haven’t got that far yet but am assuming you’re referring to her transgender status? I wonder whether that one might have been intentional.
Yeah that's the stuff.

I've not played through in English yet so have nothing to compare it with. I'm sure all Japanese text referred to Yuan as a he and then it was censored here.

It would be quite clever if it was intentional.

There are 2 different files, you can easely spot them in \Steam\steamapps\common\SMLaunch\sm1\archives\dx11\data
They are audio_jap_5b69b0ee.tac and audio_eng_5b69b0ee.tac
They contain afs files and each of them is composed by unique audio and subs files.
I suppose they translated the missing lines for the jap dubbing.

Yeah that's the stuff.

I've not played through in English yet so have nothing to compare it with. I'm sure all Japanese text referred to Yuan as a he and then it was censored here.

It would be quite clever if it was intentional.

I noticed this too, but couldn't work out whether it was intentional or not!

The Japanese are a bit funny with their pronouns and titles, sometimes using gender neutral ones (San) rather than kanojo / kale. Will check out the audio and see if it’s a mistranslation or ambiguous when I get there.

Back