Shenmue I & II - which voice language will you all choose?

I don't see a problem with that being an option. Unless something has to be set in stone because of how the files are handled, wich I don't see happening.

Japanese. I've never played the first game in Japanese, so I'll be doing that one for the new experience.

And I've never been a giant fan of the English VO. It has a certain charm to it sure, and the nostalgia of it all makes me smile, but overall I just don't like it as much as the rest of the fandom seems to. I'll still probably play it in English for my second playthrough, though.

English for both games on my first playthrough. Japanese second.

English. I find that when games have subtitles I spend most of my time reading than actually watching and taking everything in. Though without em I thought Ryo was being a racist cunt when he first met Goro.

I think I will go for Japanese because I'm looking forward to a new experience. I'm guessing you'll be able to switch midway through so maybe I'll mix it up.

I like Corey Marshall, I really do. But the English dub on both games is terrible to the point where it's comical. I will be avoiding the English dubs like the plague.

As charming as the English dub is, it really doesn't hold a candle to he Japanese VA. I'm from Sweden so I got to experience the second game with the much superior Japanese VA on DC. I've yet to play the first one in Japanese though as I'm a purist (against modding/emulation) so I'm hyped to play it in Japanese finally.

I will however play it in English as well on subsequent playthroughs.

Same, Norwegian here. Excited to hear I in Japanese, didn't care for what I heard of II in English having played it in Japanese first.

I will experience the games the opposite way I experiecend them first. I played Shenmue 1 and 2 on the Dreamcast. 1 in English and 2 in Japanese.

So I will play Shenmue 1 in Japanese and Shenmue in English.

I prefer the japanese dub in general it seems more professional although the English dub has a certain charm. The voice actors of Ryo and Nozomi were pretty solid I think. Lan Di also sounds quite cool. Not as cool as his japanese Counterpart though but still good. Some other minor characters where not that good but hey that was in 1999 or 2000. Voice Acting in Games was quite new back then and there are games that have a much worse dub.

The Voice Acting in Shenmue is first class compared the voice Acting of the first Resident Evil.

I'll be playing in Japanese, mostly because for the last few years I've been playing them exclusively in English.

This is the hardest decision for me. The temptation to play these games in Japanese VO is great (to help create a first, new impression of the game) yet I kinda was to revisit my nostalgia a bit by playing it in English at first.

Maybe i'll do the first game in English (like a playthrough to just screw around with or something), then again in Japanese and then the second game in Japanese then English (or such switch between both like a maniac in the same playthrough now that it's an option).

Still undecided tbf, now I want to play the first game in Japanese :LOL: I just want to do EVERYTHING at once tbf, I want it all!

i (or we, because i always played Shenmue with a friend) always played Shenmue in English.
i'm German and there are so many funny English pronunciations in Shenmue. it would be the same thing
if a German would try to say all the Japanese and Chinese names. it sounds funny. its a weird mix
because everyone looks asian but the chinese people in Shenmue 2 are speaking with a bad accent and so on,
its like you are watching a "silly" 90's cartoon.

but i think our last playthrough on the Dreamcast and emulator was like 5, 6 years ago
so i think i will play it in japanese this time to get a nice and fresh experience.

Just English for me. Even though I'm European, my first experience with shenmue 2 was in English on xbox so I don't have the nostalgia for the Japanese voices most people do here. I'll probably play it in vost afterwards though.

I'll go for English dub with no subtitles on my first playthrough for both games. This will be a new experience for me, since I never had an Xbox. I will play S2 in English for the very first time. Very excited about it, especially about listening to Corey's performance on the second game.

I've played the Japanese versions of both S1 and S2 many times so it won't be new to me but I'm definitely gonna do a Japanese audio playthrough at some point. I'd like to try out the German subtitles but as BlueMue already pointed out, the quality of German translations on console games tends to suck. Also I might stick to English subtitles with Japanese audio to create that Dreamcast vibe on S2.

For subsequent playthroughs, I think it will depend on my mood if I will play with Japanese or English dub. But if I start with either one, it will stay in that language throughout both games. I'm not the type to change the audio language in the middle of a playthrough.

Ever since Shenmue undub became a thing, I've been playing in Japanese. I always disliked the dub in the first game, but I at least had nostalgia towards it so it was tolerable. But in Shenmue 2 since I always played the PAL Dreamcast version, the dub from the xbox version just sounds god awful. So for the sake of consistency, I just play both games in Japanese. Feels stupid doing anything else at this point honestly...

English with (hopefully german) subtitles. I played the Dreamcast-Version of Shenmue II and that was in japanese, so for the first time i will play the english version, too. :-)

First playthrough will definitely be with Japanese voices, as the chance to play S1 with the JP voices but with English subtitles will be a cool novelty (I played through the JP version once, but there was a lot of trial and error involved in some parts due to the lack of English subs, thinking of the password when calling Master Chen in particular...) Then S2 in Japanese as well, then next playthroughs will be in English for nostalgia's sake :p

Back