Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

anyone found the new values for the patch released this morning?

it didn't work.the status stopped.
I have no idea why that would be the case. It should take less than 2 seconds. Also there's the file with the "patching" extension which seems to indicate that the process has started but somehow it stalls at that point. Can you check if there is a file named "sed.exe" running on the task manager process list? Can it be that some Antivirus or sandbox is blocking the operation? I also don't think that the OS language could be an issuse, but I am not certain. Unfortunately I cannot reproduce this issue so I must assume that something in your system is interfering and I can't do much about that. Try @masterchan777's

tested ner0 and works fine, also masterchan777 but his tool dont work for me, cant "find" Shenmue.exe even when I select it .

thanks both.

Really love your patch ner0! However can you position the subtitles more to the bottom in the proper fullscreen patch for Shenmue 2?

Really love your patch ner0! However can you position the subtitles more to the bottom in the proper fullscreen patch for Shenmue 2?
Glad you appreciate it.
I have actually done some research on this subtitle positioning discrepancy during cutscenes, but was only partially successful - meaning that I didn't find a reliable way to do it without causing glitches and/or crashes. I'll have to look further into it, possibly during the next week as I will have some free time.

I wasn't able to find the exact routine that the game uses to change subtitle positioning exclusively for cut-scenes, and I really tried hard. That being said, I did create a workaround that seems to work without any collateral damage. Hope you enjoy and leave some feedback if you have the time.

As always, the latest patch can be found in this post: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

One last thing: I recorded a tech demo of this workaround which I think some of you might be entertained by, so I'll just share that too below.

Shenmue II
Properâ„¢ subtitle positioning in fullscreen cut-scenes (tech demo)

Last edited:
Just tested it for a bit, and wow! It works perfectly.
Though I noticed that in the loading screen, the in-game date has been positioned to the bottom too overlapping with the "Now Loading" text:
Screenshot (378).pngOddly enough, this didn't seem to happen in your tech demo video.
Other than that, from what I've played so far, it works just fine. Thanks for the hard work ner0!

Though I noticed that in the loading screen, the in-game date has been positioned to the bottom too overlapping with the "Now Loading" text:
View attachment 1273Oddly enough, this didn't seem to happen in your tech demo video.
Other than that, from what I've played so far, it works just fine. Thanks for the hard work ner0!
Yeah, I guess the date text in the loading screen shares the exact same position.
If there was enough free empty space inside the executable I could possibly deal with that, but unfortunately it's not the case.
I may try to look into it though.

EDIT: The reason why it didn't show in my tech demo is, I think, because the game sets that value only once on the first start. I probably was already running the game for hours and when I did that tweak it didn't affect it because it was already initialized.

Thanks!

Last edited:
View attachment 1273
This issue should now be resolved, I added some new bit of code in the new patch that checks if it's at the point where it initializes the position for the date at the loading screen. I hope nothing else shares the same values... we'll see.

As always, the latest patch can be found in this post: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

Code:
00007FF6674489DE  | jmp 0x7FF6676D670A               ->|--|
00007FF6674489E3  | mov dword ptr ss:[rbp+0x4C],eax  <-|--|-------|
                                                       |  |       |
00007FF72F31670A  | cmp eax,0x4443000                <-|--|       |
00007FF6676D670F  | je 0x7FF6676D681A                ->|----|     |
00007FF6676D6715  | mov rdi,qword ptr ss:[rsp+0x60]  <-|----|--|  |
00007FF6676D671A  | jmp 0x7FF6674489E3               ->|----|--|--|
00007FF6676D671F  | int3                               |    |  |
                                                       |    |  |
00007FF6676D681A  | cmp esi,0x1FB                    <-|----|  |
00007FF6676D6820  | je 0x7FF6676D6715                ->|-------|
00007FF6676D6826  | mov eax,0x44638000                 |       |
00007FF6676D682B  | jmp 0x7FF6676D6715               ->|-------|
Note: cmp esi,0x1FB changes to cmp esi,0x1F6 in the initial game release version (v1.00).

Last edited:
Hmm, the new patch doesn't seem to work for me, the in-game date is still positioned to the bottom overlapping with the loading text. Any idea?

Hmm, the new patch doesn't seem to work for me, the in-game date is still positioned to the bottom overlapping with the loading text. Any idea?
Well, the code is sound, as can be demonstrated here (executable is v3.00):

I do have a theory though.
Since the game was released I have been asking for the executables just to update the patch and I haven't bothered downloading the game updates myself, which possibly have resources that change one of the values that I check for. That is the theory that I'm going with. Now I realize that possibly there's no way around it and I have to download the updates, I just wonder if I can download previous updates like v1.01 and v2.00. This will take a while though.

Just to dispel any doubts, @JustAGuy , could you upload your Shenmue2.exe file for me to check against mine?

Back