Shenmue I Re-Release 16:9 Cutscenes Fix

Now that would be a really welcome change! That camera icon can get a bit distracting, at least for me.
Never seen anyone complaining before, although I have the exact same opinion. Don't worry, one way or another I'll release an update to patch that out of the picture ;)

I think I nailed this, no more camera icon nagging on the top-right corner.
Of course that until someone plays it enough I won't know if it brings collateral.
Also, this applies not only to cut-scenes, but to action sequences too - as far as I could tell.

As always, the latest patch can be found linked in this post: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

Last edited:
Just tried ner0's patch. Everything seems to be working well. I'm liking the no black bars mod on s2 quite a lot.

Is the camera removal not optional like the black bars or did i miss an option when patching?
Would be nice for people like me who do like em.

Just tried ner0's patch. Everything seems to be working well.
Is the camera removal not optional like the black bars or did i miss an option when patching?
Would be nice for people like me who do like em.
You didn't miss it, it isn't optional.
I thought of what you are saying at the last minute.
I'll do one for the people who like to keep the top/bottom black bars for cut-scenes.
Still, I don't see any reason to keep the camera icon there and make that an option on the patch... it's even more distracting when you have the black bars.

I think I nailed this, no more camera icon nagging on the top-right corner.
Of course that until someone plays it enough I won't know if it brings collateral.
Also, this applies not only to cut-scenes, but to action sequences too - as far as I could tell.

As always, the latest patch can be found linked in this post: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

Code:
00007FF7E4A18D3E  | jmp 0x7FF7E4C599C1               ->|--|
00007FF7E4A18D43  | mov dword ptr ss:[rbp+0x4C],eax  <-|--|--------|
                                                       |  |        |
00007FF6B61E99C1  | cmp eax,0x44430000               <-|--|        |
00007FF6B61E99C6  | je 0x7FF6B623699A                ->|----|      |
00007FF6B61E99CC  | jmp 0x7FF6B6236AAA               ->|----|--|   |
                                                       |    |  |   |
00007FF6B623699A  | cmp si,0x198                     <-|----|  |   |
00007FF6B623699F  | jne 0x7FF6B6236AB5               ->|--|    |   |
00007FF6B62369A5  | mov eax,0x44638000                 |  |    |   |
00007FF6B62369AA  | jmp 0x7FF6B6236AB5               ->|--|    |   |
                                                       |  |    |   |
00007FF6B6236AAA  | cmp eax,0x42480000               <-|--|----|   |
00007FF6B6236AAF  | je 0x7FF6B623816B                ->|--|--|     |
00007FF6B6236AB5  | mov rdi,qword ptr ss:[rsp+0x60]  <-|--|  |     |
00007FF6B6236ABA  | jmp 0x7FF6B5FA8D43               ->|--|--|-----|
                                                       |  |  |
00007FF6B623816B  | cmp si,0xFF                      <-|--|--|
00007FF6B6238170  | ja 0x7FF6B6236AB5                ->|--|
00007FF6B6238176  | mov eax,0xFFFFFFFF                 |  |
00007FF6B623817B  | jmp 0x7FF6B6236AB5               ->|--|
Notes:
  • This code checks if the game is trying to change the position of an UI object to the coordinates 0x44430000, if it is then it checks for the next thing on its list;
  • 0x198 is the value that represents the subtitle object during cut-scenes - when the game is about to change the object position, it checks if it's during a cut-scene, if it is not then the code returns to its original routine;
  • This code checks if the game is trying to change the position of an UI object to the coordinates 0x42480000, if it is then it checks for the next thing on its list;
  • 0xFF is a value which should at most be the limit which represents the camera icon object - when its value is being set, it is instead changed to a bigger value which will be by far out of bounds and not visible on the screen;
Awesome! I'm currently playing some Shenmue 1, but I'll definitely try this later.

You didn't miss it, it isn't optional.
I thought of what you are saying at the last minute.
I'll do one for the people who like to keep the top/bottom black bars for cut-scenes.
Still, I don't see any reason to keep the camera icon there and make that an option on the patch... it's even more distracting when you have the black bars.
Yeah you are right it's a little odd but i guess some of us are purist in weird ways, im just so used to the camera icon being there.

Also heads up for people using the mod, seems like the subtitle position mod when the using the s2 black bars mod does not work when the UI Display scale is on anything but 100%. I had it on 95% without realizing it and was wondering why it was not working. Reseted my options and boom, all is perfect now.

Also heads up for people using the mod, seems like the subtitle position mod when the using the s2 black bars mod does not work when the UI Display scale is on anything but 100%. I had it on 95% without realizing it and was wondering why it was not working. Reseted my options and boom, all is perfect now.

I had no idea about this, nice to know, thanks!
There isn't much I can do in terms of coding around that, but I'll definitely add a warning in the main post (even the patch probably).

wow thats awesome. thanks so much. now i have my ultimate shenmue 1 and 2
I think that the ultimate Shenmue 1 and 2 experience will take a few more updates and patches from SEGA and D3T :smirk:
And the full commitment of the fan modding community, of course :p

I think that the ultimate Shenmue 1 and 2 experience will take a few more updates and patches from SEGA and D3T :smirk:
And the full commitment of the fan modding community, of course :p
i know. but when i heard it was coming out, i always said i hope it fullscreen and no black borders in shenmue 2. the camera always annoyed me too, a silly feature. now just for better audio...

ner0, I just found a bug in Shenmue II caused by your widescreen patch. When I patch the .exe and choose to also get hid of the top/bottom bars, that little UI to choose options such as "put in" and "don't put in" doesn't appear no more.

You can see better in the images, the first is what it looks like with your patch and the second without it. I still can select the options as long as I know were they are and continue with the game normaly, so it isn't that the UI isn't there, is just that it has become invisible. I think this is being caused by your patch to remove the camera icon, because if I patch the .exe selecting to not remove neither top/bottoms bars and the camera icon, that UI reappears again.

Attachments

• werf.png
    werf.png
    3 MB · Views: 17
  • werf2.png
    werf2.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yep, this what it looks like without the top/bottom black bars patch, but with the camera icon patch. That UI is also affected by it. Could you update your patch to give us an option to install the black bars patch without the camera patch?

Attachments

• werf3.png
    werf3.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
Last edited:
ner0, I just found a bug in Shenmue II caused by your widescreen patch. When I patch the .exe and choose to also get hid of the top/bottom bars, that little UI to choose options such as "put in" and "don't put in" doesn't appear no more.

You can see better in the images, the first is what it looks like with your patch and the second without it. I still can select the options as long as I know were they are and continue with the game normaly, so it isn't that the UI isn't there, is just that it has become invisible. I think this is being caused by your patch to remove the camera icon, because if I patch the .exe selecting to not remove neither top/bottoms bars and the camera icon, that UI reappears again.
You're right, I did not notice this because it doesn't happen in the resolution which I used to test (640x480, windowed).
I'll have another go at it tomorrow and hopefully fix it, then I'll make it optional nonetheless.
Thanks!

Last edited:
Yep, this what it looks like without the top/bottom black bars patch, but with the camera icon patch. That UI is also affected by it. Could you update your patch to give us an option to install the black bars patch without the camera patch?
It should be fixed now: https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?posts/10013/

There really was that issue which didn't show up during testing in 640x480 windowed.
The patch is getting too convoluted, I'm hoping there are no other issues cause by it... it will already be a pain to maintain for future updates as is.

Weird. It works just fine for me.
That is also weird, because as soon as I turned the game to 1920x1080 borderless I then got the same issue as @oregano9.
Were you using v2.1 of the patch, @JustAGuy?

To be honest, there is a chance that some randomness and /or that save-games play a role in it.
I only tried "New Game" and then getting into the scene oregano9 showed with the old couple playing at the pier, when the kid encourages you to put some money in the choice was invisible.

I was using the previous patch, the one that wasn't patched yet. I'm on 1680x1050 borderless if that matters. Really odd.

I was using the previous patch, the one that wasn't patched yet. I'm on 1680x1050 borderless if that matters. Really odd.
I've tried that and yes, as with my 640x480 testing, the resolution is what creates the conditions for the glitch, for whatever reason.
I have switched to 1680x1050 and the glitch didn't happen while using previous patch v2.0 or v2.1(.0). But if you switch to 1920x1080, then it will probably happen, but I think the latest patch (v2.1.1) sorts this regardless of the resolution used.

I rolled back to my v1.9 patch script, before the injected code to remove the camera icon, then I went back to the drawing board.
I've released an updated patch which doesn't use anymore injected custom code for the icon removal, it just patches the existing game code and should have a 99.9% reliability, mostly when compared with the previous approach; it's a win-win, less complication for me and more reliable for players.

Back