spud1897

Administrator
Favourite title
Shenmue II
Currently playing
Destiny 2, Shenmue HD ;)
PSN
spud19870
Similar to the collectors edition topic, this is your one stop shop for any of the day 1 editions, details and where to purchase. Links and prices will be added as soon as they are available and the topic updated regularly.

All variants worldwide contain:
  • Snake Power: Three bottles of ‘Snake Power’ elixir to replenish energy during battle.
  • Playing Tokens: 5,000 playing tokens for the in-game gambling area.
  • “Blazing Kick” Advanced Training Scroll: Unlocks the advanced ability of the “Blazing Kick” to better challenge Ryo’s foes.
  • Toy Capsule: Set of 24 tickets to exchange for in-game capsule toys.
?? North America ??
Overview: https://gematsu.com/2019/08/shenmue-iii-north-american-pre-order-bonuses-announced

Amazon: Kenpogi Training Wear DLC Exclusive:

Best Buy: Steelbook Exclusive: $59.99: Onsale Now!: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/shenmue-iii-playstation-4/6342250.p?skuId=6342250&intl=nosplash

Gamestop: Dragon and Phoenix Medallion Exclusive Item: Price: $50: https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/shenmue-iii/174205

??Canada: Gamestop: Dragon and Phoenix Medallion Exclusive Item: Price: $50: https://www.gamestop.com/ps4/games/shenmue-iii/174205

??Japan/Asia??

??UK??
All retailers have the same variants currently. To be updated

Digital Day 1

Last edited:
But these collectors editions are starting to sound like a bit of a cash in and the Kickstarter that we backed are now missing out
Putting the fact KS backers are getting a raft of bespoke and exclusive digital and physical items depending on their tier to the side - none of this is particularly new or unacceptable behaviour from publishers, nor is it the most egregious example of this practice out there.

I don't think it's justified for Shenmue III to be made an example of just because it has Kickstarter roots, because this is all clearly the action of the publisher just... doing what a publisher does. We're all happy to accept Deep Silver may have given upwards of $3 million in additional development funding towards the project (which ALL backers will benefit from at no additional expense to them) alongside the marketing the distribution clout a publisher brings, but that does come with "compromises".

Last edited:
Putting the fact KS backers are getting a raft of bespoke and exclusive digital and physical items depending on their tier to the side - none of this is particularly new or unacceptable behaviour from publishers, nor is it the most egregious example of this practice out there.

I don't think it's justified for Shenmue III to be made an example of just because it has Kickstarter roots, because this is all clearly the action of the publisher just... doing what a publisher does. We're all happy to accept Deep Silver may have given upwards of $3 million in additional development funding towards the project (which ALL backers will benefit from at no additional expense to them) alongside the marketing the distribution cloud a publisher brings, but that does come with "compromises".
I agree.
I'm a backer. nothing wrong with this. on the contrary. I actualy enjoy seeing shenmue 3 being pushed with things like this.

these collectors editions are starting to sound like a bit of a cash in

Yes, but that's literally the point of running a business - to make money.

and the Kickstarter that we backed are now missing out

We also get a lot exclusive items that those preordering from retailers will not. The steel book is really cool, I'll give you that, but that's an exclusive to a particular retailer and Ys NET doesn't really have any control over things like that.

I won't be buying a collector's edition because I have backed $175 already and that's my decision. But I won't fuss either way

And that's fair enough and exactly my point. It's a personal choice, but no backer is entitled to collector's editions and steel books etc just because we backed. The whole point of retailer exclusives is to entice consumers and increase sales. More sales = more chance of Shenmue 4 and beyond.

So... Does the Collector's Edition contain the normal day one edition?

we don't know because they didnt update all the versions for every region yet.
there is no info about the Day One bonuses in Germany, France, Italy, Austria or Netherlands for example
so there is a chance that the CEs will have different Day One Editions too if its all region-specific.
but i'm pretty sure that at least the normal Day One Edition will be included in all CEs
(with the four ingame items)

It would seem a bit daft if the Collector's Edition doesn't contain the day one bonuses.

BTW, those on the fence, just pre-order the steel book edition and/or collector's editions, then sell/trade in the extra copies of the game and keep the steel book or collector's edition bonuses. If you do it the same week as release (or asap) you probably won't even lose much money on it.

I am pretty certain the DLC bonuses will become available at a small cost a few months down the line (I think Resident Evil 2 did the same recently?)

The steelbook is very nice and would've been perfect as the Kickstarter backer bonus case. Hopefully you can buy them seperately in the same way Game would sell Fallout 4 Steelbooks for £5.

Can't say i'm terribly pleased (i'm a little OCD and want everything), but then again as I paid $300, i'm not going to get all the capsule toys anyway. That and after that initial dopamine hit of getting everything, you are left with some toot that doesn't really amount to much.

Still - if it helps Shenmue IV, i'm all for it.

It would seem a bit daft if the Collector's Edition doesn't contain the day one bonuses.

BTW, those on the fence, just pre-order the steel book edition and/or collector's editions, then sell/trade in the extra copies of the game and keep the steel book or collector's edition bonuses. If you do it the same week as release (or asap) you probably won't even lose much money on it.

Or - give the excess copies as Xmas gifts for friends and family :)

Unconfirmed at the minute, but it looks like all retail standard versions (for the pre-order printing at least) have been upgraded to being the Day One Edition. In theory that means it'll be in the CE too, perhaps?

Have to wonder if backer copies might get that too, actually. The Day One bonuses are really just some starter pack consumables, so it might be something that can be swung without treading on Deep Silver's toes.

Exactly right. Some will be annoyed by the various editions and that's their prerogative.

Personally this is good marketing by Deep Silver. Lots of variants knowing that there's some very serious Shenmue collectors out there that will want all of these.

Top that with wanting to appeal to the wider market and it's a good move. Now I must get my hands on that Steelbook. That thing is so good!

Meh I'd like to have everything, but already gave enough money, and have 2 versions of the KS edition.
I hope that the outfit is just a recolor, it looks great.

i hope they are selling the Steelbook separately in Europe on Amazon.
i bought the Resident Evil 2 Remake Steelbook for 12€ or something like that. we dont have Best Buy

What are the chances of us getting the steelbook in some format here in the UK and/or Europe?

I agree.
I'm a backer. nothing wrong with this. on the contrary. I actualy enjoy seeing shenmue 3 being pushed with things like this.
Yeah, it's nice (and somewhat surreal) seeing a new Shenmue game being released and marketed like more than just some random crowdfunded indie game.

A physical version, retailer-exclusive bonuses, a digital deluxe edition, season pass, starter pack pre-order DLC, etc. All the same stuff that many AAA games these days have.

Back