Shenmue III on Xbox...

FEN4t9UXwAURO-q.jpg
So a couple of years later and we've still not seen any news of Shenmue III on Xbox systems. I must say I am surprised, the HD Ports we release on Xbox One & of course Steam/Epic have the game digitally on PC.

With the rise in interest with the Animation recently shown it could be a decent time. Of course I'd like a Physical Edition but I'd still be happy to see it reach the console digitally.
ShenmueIII_MockUp_Market_Banner_CE.png

The Best result would be for them to release a Complete Edition and include Xbox. Limited Run have announced a Complete Edition of the game with all DLC on disc... but they've been quiet on that for a while now and who knows when that may arrive?! To get the game with all the DLC on disc for PS4 you have to buy the Collector's Edition with all the extras the Complete Edition isn't available on disc otherwise - Yet! It could be possible a Standard Edition of the Complete Edition (The game on disc and case) could still be released & included Xboxers in on that.

What are your thoughts on this, I've been wondering about Shenmue 3's stance on Xbox a lot recently... however I recently got an Xbox One so that could be why :p

Last edited:
If they can somehow manage it (I'm not too sure about the specifics of this Sony exclusivity deal) I do think it's a good idea to put Shenmue 3 on Xbox and Switch, especially if it's one of their goals to make this series appeal to wider audiences.

I feel like if Shenmue III came out on Xbox it would sell worse than on PS4 or PC. Xbox is a system that just doesn't work with Shenmue at all. It would be a waste of time.

Having moved to the Series X I would love to see this come out (especially as the console scales games from the last gen so well). I assume its down to licensing and Sony putting a certain amount of money in.

With it being on the unreal engine you'd have to imagine there wouldn't be a huge amount of work to get it to run - especially on Series S/X.

Obviously the Switch and XBOne would require an amount of work in terms of scaling due to their different (lower) performance to the base PS4.

They did put the S1&2 remasters on Game Pass for a while (as they are pretty close with Sega these days) but i'd love to see 3 running in 4K60 on a home console (I don't quite have the PC power to make it worth buying again over my PS4 copy).

They did put the S1&2 remasters on Game Pass for a while (as they are pretty close with Sega these days) but i'd love to see 3 running in 4K60 on a home console (I don't quite have the PC power to make it worth buying again over my PS4 copy).

The game thanks to its uncapped frame rate runs at 60 FPS on PS5 but I concur a port on Series X with 4K visuals would be nice. Also I wonder if it would be possible for them to implement HDR with a port as Bailu in particular would really benefit from this.

I am firm believer that Shenmue on more platforms can only be a good thing.

Xbox is a system that just doesn't work with Shenmue at all.
🤨

Anyway, it'd probably cost more to put on there than they'd sell. Even with all of us buying multiple copies (as seems to be the standard procedure)

Last edited:
Xbox had first crack at Shenmue 3 for years, according to Yu Suzuki; he offered them it numerous times but they just weren't interested. Sony were the ones who finally took the plunge, got it on their stage at E3 and helped launch the Kickstarter.
Sony probably tied it down as an exclusive due to this. For how long, who knows.

Xbox lost out and it was entirely of their doing.
Would I like to see it on Xbox? Of course I would. Anything that helps sales of the series.
I'll hope, but I aren't holding my breath either.

Two years on, the amount of players willing to drop money for S3 on Xbox is probably tiny, but it'd be worth porting if they could get it up on GamePass, as an effort to grow the fanbase.
This is about the only value I can really see at this point in having it on Xbox. I don't know if it's still up there, but the HD ports of 1 and 2 were also on GamePass, no?

This is about the only value I can really see at this point in having it on Xbox. I don't know if it's still up there, but the HD ports of 1 and 2 were also on GamePass, no?
They were for a brief period, but haven't been back since. Some titles rotate in and out, like Nier Automata, but Shenmue HD hasn't.

I think an XBox release is fine, but I'm sure it'll only be limited to the US and Europe since the Shenmue HD release didn't get an XBox release in Japan since the XBox has never been popular there.

I dont think there will be a Xbox Version.
After Deep Silver came on board, there was an interview in a german game magazine i think
where both parties said something like Yu Suzuki wants to show his respect to Sony with a Playstation version
because they allowed him to go on their stage and no one else was interested
and Deep Silver is going to respect that decision too.

So there already clearly was some special deal going on because normally
Deep Silver doesnt release like platform exclusive stuff. All of their products are on PC, PS and Xbox. Except S3.
LimitedRunGames and PixNLove still needed Deep Silvers agreement for the new Collectors stuff,
so if Deep Silver wont make a Xbox version, then there never will be one.
And i doubt that they are even thinking about it.

I first became a Shenmue fan because I played the remasters on Xbox and I liked it so much that I now have a Dreamcast with both games. I still haven't played Shenmue III.
I'd kill for an Xbox port, I would even accept a digital only release. However since I really can't hold my breath on it ever coming to Xbox I'm probably going to have to get into PC gaming because I don't really want a PS4 for any other reason. I am intrigued to know what systems Shenmue IV will be available on though.

I think at this point if it hasn't already been announced then it's most likely because it's not happening. I don't feel like the release was well received enough for someone to pick it up this late and port it to another system. I get the feeling Deep Silver is done with Shenmue 3 now, and I also doubt that there's a significant amount of XBOX-only players who are pining and campaigning for a release.

And to what extent does Sony's exclusivity rights cover and for how long?

I think at this point if it hasn't already been announced then it's most likely because it's not happening. I don't feel like the release was well received enough for someone to pick it up this late and port it to another system. I get the feeling Deep Silver is done with Shenmue 3 now, and I also doubt that there's a significant amount of XBOX-only players who are pining and campaigning for a release.

And to what extent does Sony's exclusivity rights cover and for how long?
I might be wrong but I don't think porting it would be that much work.

The issue is the deal with Sony and its unknown, in the public domain, how long it was for. Cedric seemed to imply it was pretty long when I spoke to him last year.

So in a nutshell I can't see it happening at this point.

The issue is the deal with Sony and its unknown, in the public domain, how long it was for. Cedric seemed to imply it was pretty long when I spoke to him last year.

So in a nutshell I can't see it happening at this point.
I wonder if we will ever learn the nuts and bolts of the deal with Sony.

Still is sacrilegious that the original games haven’t been ported to Switch.

I don't think it would take much work either; they have two version to work from, but would it be worth the effort, however minimal? Is there a worthwhile demographic on XBOX systems that doesn't have access to both PS4 or PC?

I think the number 1 issue would be Sony's deal, but once that expires, would it be a direct port? Would Ys Net port it or would it be outsourced? And then would it be upgraded for XSX with improved performance, higher resolution and bugs fixed, or would it be a direct port of the last gen systems?

Maybe if XBOX systems do much better than they have in the past 10 years, maybe there will be some value in having it on Gamepass? I really don't know. XSX is still hard to come by so it's not like the XBOX platform is exploding in popularity at the moment. Shenmue 1 and 2 are not on Game Pass atm either.

Just doesn't seem likely at all, imo.

I wonder if we will ever learn the nuts and bolts of the deal with Sony.

Still is sacrilegious that the original games haven’t been ported to Switch.
Its crazy they haven't. Around the 2019 E3 there were really rampant rumours it was happening, so much so we prepared artwork for the socials. It then all died a death as quickly as it started.

I don't think it would take much work either; they have two version to work from, but would it be worth the effort, however minimal? Is there a worthwhile demographic on XBOX systems that doesn't have access to both PS4 or PC?

I think the number 1 issue would be Sony's deal, but once that expires, would it be a direct port? Would Ys Net port it or would it be outsourced? And then would it be upgraded for XSX with improved performance, higher resolution and bugs fixed, or would it be a direct port of the last gen systems?

Maybe if XBOX systems do much better than they have in the past 10 years, maybe there will be some value in having it on Gamepass? I really don't know. XSX is still hard to come by so it's not like the XBOX platform is exploding in popularity at the moment. Shenmue 1 and 2 are not on Game Pass atm either.

Just doesn't seem likely at all, imo.
I'd imagine they'd just do a straight port with minimal upgrades like the PS version. I think all we got there was an uncapped frame rate now brute forcing to 60fps and some improved pop in

Gamepass would be a great move IMO. 1 and 2 were on there ages back IIRC.

Also put all 3 as freebies on PS+. That's a no brainer for me, especially after the success VF5US had.

Back