Shenmue III PC Update v1.03 - January 2020 - 340mb

In case anyone is wondering, this is the Bailu cutscene where you meet that master who lives by the big tree that looks like the Shenmue Tree. The one where he tells you he knew Iwao, and that Lan Di was Suming Zhao's son, then tells you to go to Man Yuan temple for more information.

I don't know specifically what about this cutscene changed because I haven't actually updated myself, but I just opened up the subtitles for it to figure out which one it was.
I should have a save right near that (as I saved in a new slot every single time I saved and have over 300 of them) so I'll try and find it later to see what's changed.

No 30fps cap on the PS4 frame rate then? That would have been top of the list for me. They maybe could have used some of the headroom to increase NPC numbers/draw distance. Bummer. I'll stick with the modded PC version.

Right, I found the save just before the cutscene at Ternary Spring. Just heading down there now. I'll record and upload the scene. I don't have an recording of the original but I guess we can A/B it with some on youtube etc.

Edit: On first glance there doesn't seem to be any difference at all lol I've just taken a look at it alongside Peter's playthrough and am pretty confused lol. I'll try and find a full screen version of it, will download it and slap it into Adobe Premiere and see what's up.

Last edited:
For those who want to see the "changed cutscene" here it is:-

Here is another that I've been trying to check it against. Both PC on very high.

You can start the at the same time to line them up frame perfect with , and . but I cannot find anything different lol There is no different in timing, subs, music, animation, camera cuts, LoD, nothing that I can see.
Anyone notice any changes? As I haven't seen this scene for like a month, I thought maybe the music had changed, or the petals falling, but they seem to be the same.

Last edited:
For those who want to see the "changed cutscene" here it is:- Currently processing and being trimmed by YouTube.

Here is another that I've been trying to check it against. Both PC on very high.

The scene starts at 0:40 for now. Anyone notice any changes? As I haven't seen this scene for like a month, I thought maybe the music had changed, or the petals falling, but they seem to be the same.
I honestly can't tell any differences lol.

PS4 user in Canada. Downloaded patch now on Version 1.03. All it says under update history is “content fixes”.

Loading a previous safe I honestly don’t notice any discernible differences. Big items like ability to skip dialogue is sadly not implemented. Not sure if stamina is draining at same level but this on safe with pretty high endurance, will try and do more testing later.

Side note:

That actor in your avatar:
What do you think of the idea of him playing as Doctor Doom in the MCU?

Did they change the foliage or textures?

@Kiske just posted about ANOTHER update in the Random S3 Thoughts thread

Just read about a Shenmue III 1.04 patch, possibly on PS4.

Shenmue III Update 1.04 Patch Notes
  • Made adjustments to certain game contents.
  • Optimized background displays.
  • Made improvements to the conversation function.
  • Updated localization texts and displays.
  • Made adjustments to the credits roll.
  • Made fixes to backer contents.
  • Made preparations for DLC application.
  • Other minor bug fixes

Can anyone confirm this?

It's kinda weird. They didn't need to turn it into 2 seperate updates when they could add these stuff in 1.03

Does PS4 has beta test for some updates like steam games ?
Maybe that 1.04 update is in beta on PS4.

Edit:
Does this mean that they have added that skip feature to repetitive dialogues ?

Last edited:
Does PS4 has beta test for some updates like steam games ?
Maybe that 1.04 update is in beta on PS4.

Edit:
Does this mean that they have added that skip feature to repetitive dialogues ?
Also the Shenmue theme for the end credits would be really cool.

So strange that that's patch 1.04. I've just seen a change log on reddit for 1.03:-

Shenmue 3 update 1.03 changelog
  • Added fixes for some crashing.
  • Addressed audio-related issues.
  • Addressed issues related to UI.
  • Added fixes for framerate drop and freezing issues.
  • Added performance and stability improvements.
  • Fixed blue screen issues on PS4.
  • Added fixes for stuttering/lag issues.
  • Other under the hood fixes.
Source.

At this point, it doesn't look like the 1.03 has gone live in the UK for PS4 yet either.

Last edited:
I wonder if it's insane to hope for a fix on the conversation jump cuts. I'll settlr for a skip function so fingers crossed there. And I'd be much more willing to play through the lackluster ending again if I didn't have to get slapped in the face with the chawan sign music afterwards, lol

I tweeted at TwistedVoxel about the 1.04 patch to see in which region they are from. They reply saying that it went live in Asia/Hong Kong, and they they assume it will go live everywhere else later today. I guess we will have to wait and see.

Back