Shenmue III sales

It's hard to know what they would consider a success. Exactly 1 million copies? 800K? 700K? If say 35,000 people brought another copy of Shenmue 3 for PS4 or PC then that comes to 1.4 million, depending on the price of a retail copy. I guess there will be other things to pay with the total profit but I don't know, I don't do business in that area.

Every Shenmue fan on the planet should buy or try to buy another copy of Shenmue 3. There's no guarantee that a Shenmue 4 kickstarter will happen if the game doesn't sell well. We need to support this game as much as we can because already I can already tell that not every review is gonna give this game top marks.

Last edited:
Yes every Shenmue Fan that has still faith in the game (just the game not the politics arround it) should really buy as many copies as he can.

i allready did my part. Bought the game digitaly on PSN just now (although I am not a digital fan at all) Now in total I have bought the game 3 times. 1 physical copy via Slacker Backer, another physical PS4 copy via online retailer and now a digital copy as well. But that is it then. There is nothing left to do..

But is too early to say anything about the sales yet. if the game is good and can attract the right People it will be bought. The negative backlash arround it at the Moment can be a bit disarmed when DS does the right Thing concerning the Epic controversy.

Yeah totally agree with you I already pre ordered twice through slacker backer campaign also pre ordered through Amazon and I plan to buy physicaly 5 times when it released also I want to buy for some friends of mine who doesn't know anything about shenmue so yeah if we the hardcore fans of shenmue buy the game multiple copies I believe the game will exceed their expectations regarding sales

Another Kickstarter if the game does poorly is probably out of the question after the epic games fiasco.

It's a shame that Sega hopped on board a little too late with the Shenmue 1+2 remasters. I would have been delighted if we got the real remastered version of the games (the project that was canned) for the first two and a third title using the same engine. We'd be able to play the trilogy the way it was supposed to be played, with items and moves being carried from one game to the next.

Yeah totally agree with you I already pre ordered twice through slacker backer campaign also pre ordered through Amazon and I plan to buy physicaly 5 times when it released also I want to buy for some friends of mine who doesn't know anything about shenmue so yeah if we the hardcore fans of shenmue buy the game multiple copies I believe the game will exceed their expectations regarding sales

That's the spirit.

The game isn't going to sell well at all if it releases and is as bad as all the impressions say. You can't capture millions of sales for the third game in a niche series and also be of low quality. The appeal to outsiders just isn't there, and you've also got to make sure your core fans are also happy.

There's no chance of another successful Kickstarter. They can't debut the game on Sony's E3 stage again, bridges have been burned, and the series depends on the quality of Shenmue 3. Here's hoping the 'polishing' phase is intensive. We already know the English voice acting is going to be bad, so that's out.

Wish I could be more optimistic, but every week just seems to bring bad news and no progress.

I remember Ninja Theory was very happy when Hell blade reach 1 million sales
Same thing for Vampyr, it is a a big success with 1 millions sales

They are both AA game

So I would say 1 millions would be very good for Shenmue
500k / 600k I think they wouldn't loose money with it

Kickstarter, GameStop, Amazon, Digital Deluxe Version on PSN, and once Limited Run’s US store opens up it’s limited edition of Shenmue 3 I’ll pick it up there too. That’s all I can realistically do, still have rent and bills to pay lol.

I tried vampyr which is a game in Shenmue 3 league and I liked, I think it looks and plays good. I hope Shenmue 3 to be at it's level at least.

It's honestly going to be hard to gauge how many copies Shenmue really sells. Digital gaming is taking up greater marketshare each year and none of those online stores actually publish any hard numbers. We'd have to wait until Ys Net or Deep Silver announces a press release to get the full numbers. Everybody likes a bit of self-promotion where they can say their game has sold over a 1 million copies.

IMO Kickstarter is out of the question. The series needs a AAA budget behind it. You're not going to get that from Kickstarter. I think we'll be ok everything I'm hearing is really positive. For the people talking about facial animations and combat we knew sacrifices had to be made.

Seems like a pretty good sign considering people were certain all the fans had already bought a copy on Kickstarter...

It is worth mentioning here, in regards to sales, that Bloodstained is just now releasing. Outside of backers, there are no sales numbers.

That being said, a Community Manager already revealed that a sequel will not be crowdfunded. Of course, that doesn't mean it is greenlit. But if it isn't going to be, Shenmue IV won't either I'd wager.

I am completely against Kickstarter for sequels of an already Kickstarter project, otherwise it is Inafune shit behaviour. Also the Shenmue III Kickstarter was the perfect storm all together, we help the game became a reality, now they have to deliver a product good enough to get revenues to create sequels.

That's probably why they're doing 'anti-consumer' bullshit right now. They're trying to strengthen their ability to continue operations and make more games. I am really not opposed to them offering 'backer-excusive' rewards for a price or releasing season passes if it means more Shenmue and I find it disappointing that's become everyone's latest focus of contempt.

Back