Shenmue III... secrets and easter eggs?

Given the suspicion that things began to be "rushed" somewhere in Niaowu, I'm admittedly skeptical. So too, as things like side-quests are now made explicit, it strikes me as less being less likely that there are hidden ones. I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd also like to see if anyone has purchased every item or little goals like that to see what happens, if anything.

I do think there's the option for things like posters or odd dialogue (for instance, I found a woman on New Paradise who recognizes Ryo as the hotel Niaowu manager).

I may be off the mark here, but I'd think they'd be more likely in Bailu: though it has less to do, it seems the more polished location.

I was just thinking about this the other day. I honestly believe the reason there was a plethora of secrets and hidden items, locations and easter eggs in the game was given its lengthy development cycle. I mean we saw environments and minor elements get iterated and iterated upon if you look at any of the beta footage, not forgetting they were basically making Shenmue 1 & 2 at the same time, which meant lots of files ended up being found in first game.

Given Shenmue 3 was on opposite end of spectrum when it came to development, I would be curious if modders were able to discover any surprising elements hidden in the files? I know there was some unused soundtracks, someone found during the trial and I believe there was perimeters coded for potentially a stealth section discovered. I frankly would be surprised to find out if anything substantial is found but I’d loved to be proved wrong.

Not sure if this egg was posted already. But here it is anyways. This one is in Niaowu. You can find red hair lady just sitting at the little cafe area to the left of the pawnshop in New Paradise. Its also the first floor of the prize exchange building in New Paradise. She's only there when you reach the point where you have to raise 5k for a move scroll. You can talk to her. Thought that was pretty cool.

Also did anyone find out if the amber pendant Elder Yeh gives out can actually be given to Shenhua?

Not sure if this egg was posted already. But here it is anyways. This one is in Niaowu. You can find red hair lady just sitting at the little cafe area to the left of the pawnshop in New Paradise. Its also the first floor of the prize exchange building in New Paradise. She's only there when you reach the point where you have to raise 5k for a move scroll. You can talk to her. Thought that was pretty cool.

Also did anyone find out if the amber pendant Elder Yeh gives out can actually be given to Shenhua?
Which red haired lady?

Which red haired lady?
Niao Sun in disguise.

Not so much an easter egg but in the beta footage, someone who isn't Chai comes from behind Ryo with a baseball bat after Ryo beats Yanglang. This could easily have been a placeholder for Chai, rather than a retcon. After all, Ryo is also seen fighting the guards who protect the verdant bridge and even in the beta for Shenmue 1, Mark was an enemy.

It does make you wonder if Chai was shoehorned into the story for fanservice, though. I guess it's hard to say.

I posted a few videos of meeting her in another thread. I'll try and dig them up :p

Edit: Here is the video below - Spoilers obviously: D

There's also another time where you can meet Shenhua on the Hotel balcony, and she talks about Li Feng too. Sorry the start was cut off, but Shenhua just says something like she met a beautiful lady today in the city. She was on the boat with us. Ryo replies that he remembers her or something similar, then the clip plays out:

Last edited:
Chai is not fanservice. Ryo didn't kill him, he works for Lan Di. Of course he would come back. You are on his home turf. There is good fan service, like Avengers Endgame , and there is bad fanservice, like the forced teturn of Gendry in in Game of Thrones. Chai is the former. I think with Shenmue III the secrets are frontloaded because of the side quest system. The quest are not part of the main story, but easy to find nonetheless. Yu Suzuki probably felt less pressure to pack major hidden quests in Shenmue III because he had the opportunity to add content with DLC.

Despite the side quests system is being implemented within this new Shenmue iteration, I want to believe that Yu has included some untraceable events into his game, no matter the form (hidden place opening at a specific moment like the one to obtain bronze medal in Shenmue II, unique dialogues,e etc).
Can't find it... but I remember a Yu Suzuki interview he was saying that several playthrougs would be needed for whoever has intention to hear/see everything. Was it truth or Peter Molineux' syndrome (kidding 😉)?

This thread is more about in-game stuff, not beta.
However I am curious knowing where those screenshots are coming from ?

I think the screenshots contain some secrets, but yeah, you're right, I guess you were looking for more story-related things.

They're inside the game, just unused.

Back