Shenmue III stage presentation TODAY (19th) @ EGX London [6pm BST]

Kind of disconcerting all they continue to show is the backer demo. Maybe Yu will reveal more at Paris Week or closer to launch; he's probably just keen to not reveal too much and spoil things for fans.

Spoiler alert; there was snippet of new footage in some of those EGX previews. Mostly cut scene and conversation stuff from the first hour or two of the game. Nothing majorly new though.

I'm surprised we still haven't seen a proper QTE.

Should have guessed this was going to be the trial version again...especially with no Yu in the house...but still, was interesting to see running on PS4...I still kind of want to see fishing in motion...but at the same time, I kind of like the fact that there is so much we haven't seen yet. Makes me all the more eager to dig in.

I don't know how that translates to general sales, but I like the fact that there is so much we haven't seen yet. I mean we only just recently saw character models for Niao Sun. Something I would have expected to see a long time ago. They clearly are holding so much to their chest with this. But it's kind of nice.

I still imagine there will be one last trailer next month at Magic Kyoto. The one trailer that brings it all home and sells it as a whole.

So far we have a 50 fps PS4 video which doesnt make any sense, so maybe it was 60 fps on PS4 and
they downgraded it to match it with their real cam output or something or they "fake upgraded" the 30 fps footage to 50 fps.
Then we have another PS4 preview video that is only available in 30 fps, another one that is listed with 60 fps but its not 60 fps
and then we have the EGX stream where its still unclear.

It could have been 60 FPS, but there was no way of knowing that from looking at the stream footage, which was not 60 FPS. I'll remain sceptical that it will be 60 on PS4 until there's actual footage in 60 FPS or the developers confirms that it is, but I agree it still looked good.
Pretty much where I'm at as well, its looking great so far, but these recent PS4 vids make me think the game is 30FPS, just with 60FPS Youtube playback. I'm fine with either way, I was more concerned with the level of detail being reduced for console, as I'm used to playing Shenmue @ 30FPS via the first two games anyway.

no it wasn't dude :)
i liked it.
I see that many here build big expectations for this.

it was nice. and the ladies did a good job.
thet meat more exposure and promotion for the game and thats a good thing.

How does showing the same area and same mini games over and over again, ad nauseam, sell the game though?

Everyone's seen all this a million times.

I'm not saying they should spoil the whole game, but it's like them promoting Shenmue 2 by showing nothing but the very first part of the game in the harbour and just doing the arm wrestling and gambling over and over again.

Also, not particularly sure why we're shit talking the stream.

Who cares if we've seen and experienced it before? This has hopefully put it in front of people who haven't been exposed to it yet. I see lots of kvetching about needing to appeal to outside the fanbase in marketing the game, so why are we throwing exposure like this under the bus because we aren't being catered to? It's a contradictory argument.

Not actually true. Outside the bubble there are still people who don't know Shenmue III is even happening, amazingly. On the Dojo's social media pages I see questions being asked about the game that have had answers to them for years in some cases, and that probably any of us here could answer ourselves; but not everybody knows this stuff even within the fanbase.

Putting it out there is more vital than ensuring anoraks like us are seeing something new every time.

How does showing the same area and same mini games over and over again, ad nauseam, sell the game though?

I'm not saying they should spoil the whole game, but it's like them promoting Shenmue 2 by showing nothing but the very first part of the game in the harbour and just doing the arm wrestling and gambling over and over again.
You're mistaking yourself and the most hardcore fans with everybody else man.

Not everyone in this world has seen that demo. I garantee you that.

Also, not particularly sure why we're shit talking the stream.

Who cares if we've seen and experienced it before? This has hopefully put it in front of people who haven't been exposed to it yet. I see lots of kvetching about needing to appeal to outside the fanbase in marketing the game, so why are we throwing exposure like this under the bus because we aren't being catered to? It's a contradictory argument.
Exactly.

Last edited:
I think, after watching it, that we were not the target, it is has been like a Nintendo Treehouse kind of thing, someone playing it live for a wider audience. You can get an idea of what Shenmue 3 is playing the backer demo, so a different audience may have not watch it before. For me is a possitive move towards the wider audience we need, but I understand that the content for fans is redundant

Die-hard fans are getting desperate to see more of the game lol, it's understandable. But yeah, it was a pretty good demo for the wider audience.

I really enjoyed watching them play it (I tried to avoid the backer footage, but figured now was OK). They seemed really enthusiastic and genuine about the game which was very pleasing :)

Yeah the hosts were likeable and they did a good overview of everything In the 30 mins they had. She really kicked the shit out Red Tiger too. I can see a few more people checking it out because of that so it was a good showing. For us here though roll on magic kyoto ?

Back