Shenmue III to appear at MAGIC Kyoto?

iyapol

Dried Fish or Fried Tofu?
Shibuya Productions (Cedric's company) have released a teaser trailer for the upcoming MAGIC Kyoto which includes a still of Yu Suzuki, Ryo, Shenhua and the Shenmue III logo.

The event is scheduled for 10th November. With Yu's connections with Shibuya Productions, there's a real chance we may see some sort of update.

Whilst I would like to be hopeful, I don't know if I can really see it. He isn't listed among the guests at the event which is usually a big red flag. Possibly a surprise guest? But with his reputation, the first sign of Yu Suzuki being at the event, you would be screaming it from the hills.

Another thing to consider is that it would be just over a week until the Eastern release of the Shenmue re-releases, and considering they haven't been his project, he might want to keep his head down, and avoid a million questions he would be asked about them.

Finally, whilst this is my own opinion, I still don't think we are going to hear anything meaty about Shenmue 3 for a while yet. Christmas is my only realistic hope. Outside of that, we are still not quite there in the sweet spot yet to start releasing major info and content. It's been quite clear for some time now that the strategic approach for the promotion of this game has been small, drip fed updates and I doubt that's going to change at this stage. I personally like that approach, although I can see why others don't. I feel that when proper promotion does start mid 2019, it's going to hit us all like a sledgehammer, creating Shenmue fever. Releasing stuff of that magnitude now would be cool, but you would just have inconsistent momentum, and the fizz would go out of it all.

Keep it cooking I say, until it properly reaches boiling point, and the lid flies off to hit you right in the face.

Coming into next year they're probably going to ramp up marketing efforts, I wouldn't expect many more updates until release. New information will be highly public.

Yu Suzuki and the other people at the start of the video are past guests; the guests for MAGIC Kyoto are listed after the word "GUESTS" appears.

I think the next time we'll see Shenmue III will either be MAGIC Monaco 2019, or E3 2019.

Yeah, that's gonna be a no from me, dawg.

There's 0% indication in that video that either Shenmue III, YSnet, or Yu Suzuki will attend MAGIC Kyoto in any capacity.
I mean IF it happens, that'd be great but don't get your hopes up. If Yu and Shenmue III does appear just treat it like a nice surprise but don't be upset when it doesn't.

The developers are most likely hard at work touching up animations and gameplay and are probably too busy to have anything ready to show off.

Shenmue III launches on 8/27. At the very earliest I'd expect to see something would be somewhere around February. But I'd be shocked if we didn't see a huge reveal trailer with some gameplay footage by E3 2019. At this point I'm fine with it. I'd just rather sit back, let Yu Suzuki do his job and enjoy what comes out of all of this. The more recent footage I see, the more that it looks Shenmue to me. That's all I can really ask for at this point.

However, I do strongly believe that a tweetathon might need to take place to #savetheoldshenmuelogo if changes aren't made by the tail end of development.

I don't expect much to be revealed before the end of the year. I stated in a previous post that many games don't get a super early peek behind the curtain, so we're fortunate on we have seen so far.

Resident Evil 2 wasn't even shown until late last June, when it was 7 months away from release. It looked phenomenal by that point. We didn't see anything earlier than that at all.

MAGIC in February pegs Shenmue roughly 6 months from it's current release date, so the time to really show it's most current build is then.

Don't forget that Resident Evil 2 (remake) is a AAA game made by a AAA studio with a AAA budget, and Shenmue III is a kickstarter project with a bit of extra funding by a few third party companies. It's amazing what Shenmue III has been able to accomplish thus far, it has no right looking as awesome as it does now.

Don't forget that Resident Evil 2 (remake) is a AAA game made by a AAA studio with a AAA budget, and Shenmue III is a kickstarter project with a bit of extra funding by a few third party companies. It's amazing what Shenmue III has been able to accomplish thus far, it has no right looking as awesome as it does now.

Well, yeah. I'm not speaking in terms of budgets, as we know RE2Make has a pretty blank check.

Shenmue III does not. We don't know it's final budget, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is higher than many of us have guessed.

However, I am talking about when games are shown off in a strong way. Many games aren't shown in substantial fashion until they are a year or less from release. It varies from game to game, developer to developer.

Yu's developmental method would be strongest for a reveal closer to the release date, which is why I think MAGIC in February is our best bet.

It is possible that he could maintain his reclusive nature and show very little of the game, if any, until E3 2019.

However, that would leave very little time to release a demo, garner feedback and make any changes/improvements from that demo or an extensive trailer in a reasonable time frame.

Look at Red Dead Redemption 2--it was shown some time ago, but man, Rockstar are wizards at keeping a tight lid on *anything* coming out unless they say so.

Back