Shenmue III's Expansion on the Series Lore - What Did We Learn?

I know we've spoken about how Shenmue III is a bit Underwhelming in regards to it's Plot developlment, however I wanted a thread that actually notes important points it does progress in - Because in all honestly when I reflect back on the journey, I really can't think of Many at all! (I'm not tyring to be rude, I genuninely would like help form you guys on this)

Bailu
- We learn of the Verdant Bridge built in 1910 & how it was built to welcome an Evoy from the Emporer, carrying fags with the Pheonix & Dragon Mirror.
- Shenhua's Family have been experts in making Mirror's for generations & her Great Grandfather made the Dragon & Pheonix Mirror.

Niaowu:
(Struggling here...)

Fortress/Ending:
-
Niao Sun had little regard for Lan Di & has aims to take over the Chi You Men.
- Mr. Yuan Mentions how Zhao Suming (Lan Di's Father) Wanted to retrieve from the Cliff Temple & They were entrusted to him, but Mysterious events happened.
- Lan Di was then raised by the Chi You Men.
- The Chi You Men have a base held at the Cliff Temple (Located in Bailu???)
- The Cliff Temple is Where the Dragon Mirror is & Niao Sun posses the Pheonix Mirror.

That's about all I can recall now, but I'll add more bullet points when I get contributions Which I am hoping you'll all assist me with :)

There is a video on Youtube with all the Cutscenes for reminders:

In the conversations with Shenhua...we learn that she dreams of past lifes. Could be something that might come into play later on (either she's a descendant of the royal family or something else)
This is really interesting, I didn't get this scene. Can you elaborate on what she said?

It really bothers me when they say "died in mysterious circumstances", it just feels like obfuscation for the sake of it, and every time Ryo acts like he found a way to reconcile quantum and classical theories.
Man, the first thing we hear from Lan Di is that Iwao killed his father in Meng Cung, is he ever going to ask ?

This is really interesting, I didn't get this scene. Can you elaborate on what she said?

In her dreams, she can vividly remember living a past life of someone of great status to the point where her dreams feel completely real. Something along those lines...can't remember the dialog exactly.

It could be nothing, but I doubt Yu would just put that in for no reason.

Not to mention there is that US Shenmue Dreamcast cover that has Shenhua dressed up in Royal Attire.

Considering she's adopted and what we found out about the Royal family...I'm willing to bet she is indeed a descendant of the Royal family in question. Seems pretty damn obvious to me. Entrusted under the protection of her adoptive father -- from the same bloodline who carved the mirror.

latest

Last edited:
In her dreams, she can vividly remember living a past life to the point where they feel completely real to her during the moment. Something along those lines...can't remember the dialog exactly.

It could be nothing, but I doubt Yu would just put that in for no reason.
It's not nothing, she gets a flashback for when she was an infant in SII, with the background not resembling current Bailu (looks like an ancient high-class garden)

After Shenmue 3 the biggest story question I have is this:

Ryo is basically going up next against Lan Di and the other Chi You Men leaders, how the fuck is he gonna compete with them considering they are all masters and he still can’t even touch higher level martial artists?

I thought he would train in Shenmue 3, or learn some secret about his hidden potential, but he just barely learnt 2 new moves.

It's not random, YS said that Shenhua could "channel" her ancestors of something to that effect.

This has been alluded to in promo material from way back:
it's possible that Shenhua has been reincarnated several times. It would explain the S2 flashback when she is a baby, and her 'nostalgic' feelings for Luoyang.

I'll have to look out for this scene. I'm just bummed that more of this didn't make it into forefront of this game.

I thought he would train in Shenmue 3, or learn some secret about his hidden potential, but he just barely learnt 2 new moves.

Well technically he did train in Shenmue III. Quite a bit. That''s one of the things I liked about III, was the heavy emphasis on trying to implement training into gameplay.

To praise the game, I kind of like the idea of gaining XP through training rather than gaining it through battle. It's an interesting subversion that puts the focus less on combat and more on training. I know that won't be for everyone but early on in the game when hanging out in Bailu...it did kind of dawned on me as I was doing my daily routine of training that I was on the same soil as Iwao training. That was kind of neat...another reason why I really probably preferred Bailu over Chobu.

I will give this game credit...it did actually try to convey something through gameplay...which is more than I can say for most games.

I know the training to be everyones liking but I kind of enjoyed having that daily routine. And it fed into the WUDE (train every day without neglect)

Well technically he did train in Shenmue III. Quite a bit. That''s one of the things I liked about III, was the heavy emphasis on trying to implement training into gameplay.

To praise the game, I kind of like the idea of gaining XP through training rather than gaining it through battle. It's an interesting subversion that puts the focus less on combat and more on training. I know that won't be for everyone but early on in the game when hanging out in Bailu...it did kind of dawned on me as I was doing my daily routine of training that I was on the same soil as Iwao training. That was kind of neat...another reason why I really probably preferred Bailu over Chobu.

I will give this game credit...it did actually try to convey something through gameplay...which is more than I can say for most games.

I know the training to be everyones liking but I kind of enjoyed having that daily routine. And it fed into the WUDE (train every day without neglect)

I was talking more about “story training”, like going to some special place, or staying under the tutorage of some special person for a long period.

It seems to me Ryo didn’t really improve so much, unlike S2, he just learnt two new moves.

I was talking more about “story training”, like going to some special place, or staying under the tutorage of some special person for a long period.
It looks it was cut due to budget.
Sun training lacked weight because Ryo was already able to catch the chickens the first time, but kept doing it 2 more times. I bet there was supposedly a martial lesson in between failing to catch them at first to be able to, but it was cut.
For a drunk master certainly lacked the staple "don't spill the liquid" segment.
Then it was heavily implied that Feng was the real deal, while Sun just fell off the path. We never saw Feng again.
The fisherman was clearly about balance, the whole training in the little boat, but again, it felt like they just skipped it.

Also that she can talk to animals, I wonder if that will be brought up again?

I imagine it would considering they talk about it multiple times. Seems like its a big hint to her powers. I just love that every time they talk about it, Ryo is politely weirded out.

So I guess it's also worth asking, were we supposed to assume something supernatural happened between Ren and Shenhua when she gave him the stinkeye?

I imagine it would considering they talk about it multiple times. Seems like its a big hint to her powers. I just love that every time they talk about it, Ryo is politely weirded out.

So I guess it's also worth asking, were we supposed to assume something supernatural happened between Ren and Shenhua when she gave him the stinkeye?

I wonder the same for the interrogation scene, it seemed a bit.... Odd. I’m not sure what they were going for during that scene.

Back