Shenmue IV ~ The Chi You Men Arc ~

Shenmue IV ~ The Chi You Men Arc ~

Shenmue IV.jpg

Credits to XPOINTED

The Shenmue Community is eagerly anticipating updates on the next installment in the Shenmue series, Shenmue IV. As we eagerly await more news, I've taken it upon myself to craft a blog post envisioning Shenmue IV. In this post, I'll delve into my imagination, exploring how I envision the continuation of the story, the development of characters, the diverse locations Ryo will explore, the pacing of the game, and the answers we might receive regarding the storyline, among other aspects. So, let's unlock the door to my imagination and delve into how I imagine Shenmue IV unfolding.

~ Ending of Shenmue III ~

header.jpg

At the end of Shenmue III, we witnessed several significant events: Ryo lost the Phoenix Mirror to Niao Sun, Niao Sun betrayed Lan Di, Ryo was defeated in a fight against Lan Di, and ultimately, Ryo left Niaowu. The final scene depicted Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren walking along the Great Wall, presumably headed towards the Cliff Temple. This marked a significant development, as now Ryo has two companions joining him on his journey, forming a trio.

I found the ending of Shenmue III to be particularly impactful for a few reasons, as mentioned earlier. These events unfolded in a way that leaves ample room for Shenmue IV to be a truly remarkable and captivating continuation of the series.

~ Story ~

1693927601984.png

Credits to XPOINTED

In the ending of Shenmue III, Ryo lost the Phoenix Mirror. I envision Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren embarking on a quest to infiltrate Chi You Men's hideouts to reclaim the Phoenix Mirror. These moments hold immense potential for exhilarating fights and action sequences reminiscent of Shenmue II.

I picture Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren extensively traveling by train to reach these locations in pursuit of the Phoenix Mirror and, naturally, to confront Lan Di. Ryo remains driven by his desire for revenge.

The train scenes I envision could be rich with meaningful interactions between Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren. I anticipate that in Shenmue IV, the bonds between these characters will deepen, becoming even more emotionally resonant. I envision the trio travelling by train and also by foot.

It would be compelling to delve further into Ren's, Lan Di's, and Ziming's backgrounds in Shenmue IV. The conclusion of Shenmue III revealed that Lan Di was raised by the Chi You Men.

These characters play crucial roles in the story, offering ample potential for an intense and captivating narrative in Shenmue IV.

I envision Shenmue IV as the Chi You Men arc, characterized by rigorous training, action-packed sequences, the introduction of new characters, revelations, a dynamic pace shifting between fast and slow moments, and much more.

FEkYDJdX0AAay0I.jpg

Wallpaper made by RikenZ

The game would primarily focus on the Chi You Men Organization, featuring all its leaders Lan Di, Niao Sun, Koutei, Gentei, and the ultimate leader, Tentei. Additionally, I imagine we'll encounter other significant members of the Chi You Men, including Ziming and various individuals holding important positions within the organization.

I also anticipate Xiuying making a return to the story, where she might reunite with Ziming. This reunion could be one of the most impactful and emotional moments in the entire Shenmue series.

A confrontation between Xiuying and Ziming would be incredibly powerful and emotional to witness. Moreover, I'm eager to see at least one showdown between Ryo and Ziming. Ziming is akin to Ryo but has succumbed to the darker side, making the dynamics between him and Ryo particularly intriguing. Witnessing their interactions unfold in various ways would be fascinating and enriching for the storyline.

I'm really excited about the concept of The Chi You Men organization having four leaders and one ultimate leader. It holds immense potential to be incredibly intriguing, especially if Shenmue IV delves deep into the organization's backstory—how it was founded, its purpose, recruitment methods, and more. I sincerely hope that Yu Suzuki doesn't overlook this aspect of the story, as it could pave the way for a riveting narrative in Shenmue IV.

213743-vf4_leifei.jpeg

In Shenmue IV, I envision Ryo training under a new master, possibly a Shaolin Monk Master akin to Lei Fei from the Virtua Fighter Series. This master could be encountered in Luoyang or a nearby location, perhaps even the Shaolin Temple. I anticipate that Ryo's training with this master will be rigorous and transformative, with him acquiring invaluable knowledge and skills.

Additionally, I imagine that Luoyang will serve as a pivotal setting for delving deeper into Shenhua's backstory, including her parents, her abilities, her past, and the significance of the Shenmue tree and the mirrors.

20240209_013238.jpg

In Shenmue II, we catch a glimpse of Shenhua's past through a flashback featuring her parents and herself as a baby, with a Shenmue tree prominently featured. It's evident that this location isn't Bailu Village, suggesting the existence of another Shenmue Tree. I believe Shenmue IV will unveil more revelations about this iconic element.

Given that "Shenmue" is the namesake of the game series, I'm hopeful that the Shenmue Tree will play a central and impactful role in the storyline. Shenmue II hinted at spiritual and supernatural elements associated with the Shenmue tree, and I anticipate that Shenmue IV will continue to explore and expand upon these themes.

~ Locations ~

tiantang-595.jpg

For Shenmue IV, I envision the main locations being Luoyang and significant nearby areas like Dengfeng, which the trio will reach by train.

I also picture Shanghai in the game, and maybe Suzhou too. As for the finale, I imagine Ryo arriving in Cangzhou, a pivotal location in the Shenmue story and renowned as the birthplace of the Bajiquan fighting style.

In Cangzhou, I foresee Ryo undergoing his final training with a Bajiquan master, where he may uncover the truth about the past altercation between his father and Lan Di's father.

Ending Shenmue IV with Ryo's arrival in Cangzhou with a powerful speech could deliver a poignant and impactful
conclusion for the game, and after that Shenmue V would then mark the series' finale.

~ Characters ~

1420-9.jpg

Credits to XPOINTED

I believe the game's focus would revolve around the trio of Ryo, Shenhua, and Ren, emphasizing their interactions. Ryo's dynamics with his new master would also be a central aspect, potentially involving interactions with new characters. Perhaps characters like Ming Ming could be introduced to enrich the story—I certainly hope so.

As for Ryo's training, I'm uncertain if he'll have two masters in this installment. Currently, I envision Ryo being under the guidance of the Shaolin Monk Master, likely situated in the Shaolin Temple.

Furthermore, I'm eager to delve deeper into the backgrounds of characters like Ziming, Lan Di, Niao Sun, Xiuying, and others. I anticipate that the leaders of the Chi You Men and the organization itself will take center stage, offering the potential for a gripping and impactful storyline in Shenmue IV. I truly hope that this storyline comes to fruition, as I envision Shenmue IV as an emotionally charged and intense arc focused on the Chi You Men.

~ Gameplay ~

ShenmueIV..jpg

Made by ShenmueForever

Yu Suzuki has emphasized multiple times that he developed Shenmue III for the fans, which likely contributes to its similarities with the first two installments and its preservation of the Shenmue experience.

In discussing Shenmue IV, Suzuki expressed a desire to approach the game differently, aiming for a more inclusive experience that appeals to both casual gamers and newcomers. It seems that for Shenmue IV, Suzuki intends to adopt a more modern approach.

Based on Suzuki's interviews, it appears that significant changes are on the horizon for the Shenmue experience in the fourth installment. I'm open minded about the modernization of Shenmue about the gameplay because I trust that Suzuki will also maintain the series' essence.

I'm open-minded about the alterations Suzuki will implement in Shenmue IV. Some changes I'll likely appreciate, while others may not resonate with me as much.

Regarding the combat system, I envision an evolution of the fighting mechanics from Shenmue III, possibly incorporating throws. Perhaps Suzuki will be able to put the Virtua Fighter fighting combat system into the game, a dream scenario for many fans.

Ultimately, I hope that Shenmue IV retains the essence that sets the series apart, preserving its uniqueness and special qualities.

I don't have any issues with the Shenmue experience, but I understand why Yu Suzuki wants to explore a more modern approach this time. I'm open-minded about seeing the changes in the gameplay.

I have faith that Suzuki will strike a delicate balance between modernizing Shenmue while remaining true to its core essence. Only time will tell how the gameplay will unfold in Shenmue IV.

~ Soundtrack ~

I envision an epic soundtrack featuring numerous intense and powerful tracks, alongside others that are sweet and calming. The music in Shenmue games has always been epic, and I anticipate that Shenmue IV will continue this trend, maintaining the epic vibe throughout its soundtrack.

Shenmue III ~ The Calm ~

Akira.jpg

Shenmue III embraces a deliberate, slow-paced style reminiscent of the first game, and I find that aspect quite appealing. The nostalgic vibe and leisurely pace of Shenmue I resonate with me, especially after the frenetic experience of Kowloon. The serene pace and ambiance of Shenmue III, particularly in Bailu Village, fit seamlessly into the narrative.

For me, Shenmue III represents the tranquil segment of Ryo's journey—a time when he settles into life in Bailu Village, considering it a second home. During this period, he forms a close bond with Shenhua, deepening their relationship. Now, Ryo and Shenhua are close to each other, a dynamic I truly cherish. Shenmue III's peaceful atmosphere holds a special place in my heart.

While I acknowledge that Shenmue III isn't flawless, its pacing and overall vibe align well with the narrative. To me, this aspect makes Shenmue III truly unique and memorable. I see Shenmue III as the calm before the storm, with Shenmue IV poised to deliver the storm—a progression that feels natural and exciting, and i believe after the release of Shenmue IV the slow pace of Shenmue III will make even more sense and will be even more special.

Shenmue IV ~ The Storm ~

~ Final Thoughts ~

EUYepJfXsAEWeuD.jpg

Made by ShenmueForever

Shenmue IV holds the promise of being a compelling, emotionally charged, and overall remarkable game, as I mentioned earlier.

It could feature a blend of action-packed sequences, intriguing revelations, character training, insightful flashbacks, intense moments, as well as serene and heartwarming scenes.

In Shenmue IV, we might delve deeper into the story of The Chi You Men Organization and its members, explore Shenhua's, Ren's, and Lan Di's backgrounds, uncover revelations about the Shenmue Tree and the mirrors, and much more.

There's immense potential for Shenmue IV to be an unforgettable experience, and I firmly believe that it's achievable. I see Shenmue IV as a natural evolution from Shenmue III, much like how Shenmue II expanded upon the first game in various ways.

I genuinely hope that by 2024, we'll receive the exciting news that Shenmue IV is officially in development. If we don't hear anything about the future of Shenmue by then, I'll start to feel concerned about the situation. However, for now, I remain hopeful for the release of Shenmue IV.

If I remember more of my ideas for Shenmue IV I will edit this post.

Shenmue III to me is similar to the first game in many ways and I love that, and I believe Shenmue IV will be similar to Shenmue II.

Shenmue III to me is the calm before the storm, I believe Shenmue IV will be the storm, The intense The Chi You
Men Arc.

How do you envision the game Shenmue IV? How do you picture the story unfolding, the characters developing, and the locations expanding? Feel free to share your ideas in the comments below. Thanks for taking the time to read, and remember to cherish your loved ones. Until next time, take care, bye bye. ~ Hikari ~ (Hiki)

images.jpg

Last edited:
Genious Hiki! As usual, your envisions resounds to me pretty much in line with the series mood and vibe. I can see those things happening and believe me when I say that many times find myself thinking "no, this sounds off" when comes to other series anticipations from the fandom.

Personally I would love a comeback of the more detectivesque tone from the past episodes, specially S1. The train scenario could work really well with this, maybe implemented with multiple branches depending on our decitions in real time. Ideally, subsquent scenarios would be affected by our decitions in the train*.

Im also expecting new alliances being forged and maybe past allies stepping out as foes who were using Ryo for their own goals. I expect this being potentially harmful and divisive for many fans but brave in the end.

Learning more about the truth from Iwao's past and specially Lan Di's father/tutor is also something that has me on the edge. Lets not forget that flashbacks in Shenmue 1 set straight that every scroll hanging inside Hazuki Residence were put there by Iwao himself for something more than simply setting a martial arts dojo ambiance, those were guidelines truly believed at heart to be "the path" (Hazuki-do) and yet... "All good deeds shall be rewarded" stayed concieled at the secret basement, as if a bitter past experience made Iwao not believing in that anymore. A treason? Some accident with deadly results?

A crowded Luoyang could serve for a dreadful gameplay segment which can be sum in the RE Nemesis mechanic.
Ryo still out of focus and while improved, he clearly still inferior in skills against Lan Di. But Lan Di now realizes that Ryo isn't a mouse and pose a danger so instead of keep going forward without aknowledging him, he could go give chase in-game. The populated streets would help into keeping Lan Di essence of "quiet killer" as I can't for the life of mine imagine a running Lan Di.
He would walk among the people looking for Ryo and whe will must to keep an eye for him no coming any closer or else...

* A well crafted example of this system can be experienced in Zettai Zetsumei Toshi 2/Raw Danger (PS2). And shows that, even with a small budget, some clever twists can be pulled and both surprise the player and add replayabilty value.

The populated streets would help into keeping Lan Di essence of "quiet killer" as I can't for the life of mine imagine a running Lan Di.
Ha, you’re absolutely right, Lan Di ain’t running anywhere.

The Chi You Men conflict must be integral to S4 surely. Seeing how Ziming is introduced and his role, that’d be great however it’s done - there’s so many possibilities with him.

Thank you Hiki!

Shenmue IV holds the promise of being a compelling, emotionally charged, and overall remarkable game, as I mentioned earlier.

It could feature a blend of action-packed sequences, intriguing revelations, character training, insightful flashbacks, intense moments, as well as serene and heartwarming scenes.

In Shenmue IV, we might delve deeper into the story of The Chi You Men Organization and its members, explore Shenhua's, Ren's, and Lan Di's backgrounds, uncover revelations about the Shenmue Tree and the mirrors, and much more.

There's immense potential for Shenmue IV to be an unforgettable experience, and I firmly believe that it's achievable. I see Shenmue IV as a natural evolution from Shenmue III, much like how Shenmue II expanded upon the first game in various ways.

View attachment 19653
You’ve summed up my overall thoughts about S4 here. Absolutely, 100% think it’ll be the best one in the series. I love the others obviously, but S4 has the potential and the set-up to reveal so much and maybe the most meat of the story. I hope it happens and I think it will, somehow. I’m sure the same was said about S3, but I’d like to think S4 will re-contextualise the third one. I’ve always seen the series as a slow building thing, the story builds, slows, builds, slows, builds, peaks, plateaus and ends.

Pardon the double-post sorry, it’s a pain in the arse sending anything other than brief replies on my phone.

Back