Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Josh Fairhurst, CEO of LRG. He said he couldn't afford to fund two games, but would be able (and willing) to fund one game. Therefore, if someone would fund Shenmue 4 and didn't wish to also fund Shenmue 5, then he said he would do it.

2e06469cc51b060aa3930337b2888896.gif
Maybe he should just fund 5 if it's the the ending. That way if we don't get a "prequel" it won't be the end of the world.

That's just guesswork and we have no proof of that.

Again, while I have no concrete evidence I expect it comes down to the very strict requirements China has around video games and content that is set there.
We do know that the British flags were removed from Hong Kong in S2. That confirms that changes were made to appease the communist censors in China.

We do know that the British flags were removed from Hong Kong in S2. That confirms that changes were made to appease the communist censors in China.
Removed in only the Xbox and modern versions. They are present in the DC version.

S3 likely didn't pass those strict checks.

Removed in only the Xbox and modern versions. They are present in the DC version.

S3 likely didn't pass those strict checks.
Perhaps every Shenmue game post Dreamcast has been subject to Chinese sensors?

I wonder why it wasn’t sold in China? I mean it’s set IN China you’d think it would make some money there. Suzuki was also trying to make money from China with Shenmue Online 20 years ago. …

Last edited:
Here is the where Yu Suzuki said he'd move his family to the USA to make Shenmue 3.

JM: So, back to your plans for the future. I don't know if you've heard, but [Resident Evilcreator] Shinji Mikami's studio, Tango, was recently acquired by Bethesda parent company, ZeniMax. Would you ever consider working with a Western publisher if you could get the funding to make Shenmue 3?

YS:
That depends on the terms of negotiations. If we're given the freedom to make what we want, it doesn't matter where the company is from. I would take my family and move to the States.
Noted. He indeed showed willingness to move. That was a nice interview, loved the Nagoshi suntan moment. So you were right at that and I was wrong. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna ragequit now. BrrrAwlll!

Noted. He indeed showed willingness to move. That was a nice interview, loved the Nagoshi suntan moment. So you were right at that and I was wrong. Now if you excuse me, I'm gonna ragequit now. BrrrAwlll!
Its good to know that if Microsoft executes a hostile takeover of Sega Sammy in the interest of reviving dormant IPs like Shenmue we can count on Yu Suzuki to move to the USA.
S1 & 2 Remaster was released in Hong Kong on PS4. I own a physical copy.
Yeah but not in China proper. Hong Kong won’t be fully integrated into China until 2047.

Its good to know that if Microsoft executes a hostile takeover of Sega Sammy in the interest of reviving dormant IPs like Shenmue we can count on Yu Suzuki to move to the USA.

Yeah but not in China proper. Hong Kong won’t be fully integrated into China until 2047.
You really think he will actually move?

You really think he will actually move?
If he was given the opportunity to head a major western studio and allowed full creative freedom to continue Shenmue? Absolutely. Why would he stay in Japan where they don’t appreciate him and force him to waste his genius on mobile games?

After the hostile takeover Phil Spenser could reestablish AM2 in Los Angeles and Yu Suzuki could move into a mansion in the Hollywood Hills and drive a red Ferrari to work everyday.

Last edited:
If he was given the opportunity to head a major western studio and allowed full creative freedom to continue Shenmue? Absolutely. Why would he stay in Japan where they don’t appreciate him and force him to waste his genius on mobile games?

After the hostile takeover Phil Spenser could reestablish AM2 in Los Angeles and Yu Suzuki could move into a mansion in the Hollywood Hills and drive a red Ferrari to work everyday.
Let's be honest.... it's not happening.

Where's the lie in his statement though lol. It might sound like he's being overdramatic but it's 100% true.

We don't have forever to make more Shenmue games. Yu Suzuki's time as limited and so is the Shenmue fan base as we're decades older from when we first experienced the game.

We needed Shenmue 4 yesterday. If this game isn't at least in a prototype state at the current moment, then it doesn't have a chance.

Again I don't blame Yu Suzuki for this, I blame Sega. They could have easily funded this game and gave him an engine to use to crank out more sequels bi-yearly if they wanted to

Where's the lie in his statement though lol. It might sound like he's being overdramatic but it's 100% true.

We don't have forever to make more Shenmue games. Yu Suzuki's time as limited and so is the Shenmue fan base as we're decades older from when we first experienced the game.

We needed Shenmue 4 yesterday. If this game isn't at least in a prototype state at the current moment, then it doesn't have a chance.

Again I don't blame Yu Suzuki for this, I blame Sega. They could have easily funded this game and gave him an engine to use to crank out more sequels bi-yearly if they wanted to
Agreed. Sega is to blame for all this. Specifically Sammy. Sammy is involved in a dirty business (gambling) and only bought Sega so they could launder their money by putting out a Sonic and Yakuza game each year.

Hopefully a more reputable company comes in and takes over Sega.

And we have near proof that Shenmue 4 isn’t in development. If it was then YsNet would tell us so. No way Suzuki would leave us hanging for this long.

Last edited:
It could happen.

Tell me how and when we are going to get Shenmue 4 if you’re so certain about the future.
I'll tell you why - even if MS did buy SEGA there's no way YS would sod off to the USA at 66/67 to head up a team - from what I know he's very happy in Japan, close to his family and likes the low key lifestyle.

So onto how to get Shenmue 4. Discussing pie in the sky takeovers ain't getting Shenmue 4. Actually getting out there and making some noise will.

Example: they announce VF6 (unlikely but its more likely than this takeover idea) we then start pushing for Ryo as a guest character. Pushing the Yu Suzuki name with it seeing as it's his creation and then you get people attached to the history of YS and his other games leading onto Shenmue. If they guested Ryo in VF6 that would get everywhere. That's the sort of coverage we need.

Living on cloud cuckoo land. Phil Spencer couldn't give two hoots about Shenmue, let alone AM2.
He was offered S3 by Yu on a few occasions, each of which were turned down.
He even stated it was the most requested sequel by Xbox fans, yet did nothing.
And let's not pretend he was remotely serious about not funding Shenmue 3 because it was a third party IP while he was focusing on first party. Xbox's first party output has been mediocre since the start of his tenure and there's been plenty of support for non-Xbox franchises (I wonder how much Xbox pay to get games on their Game Pass subscription).

Why does it not have a chance? Because Yu is getting old? Sorry, but that doesn't cut it. Any one of us could drop dead at any moment :tearsofjoy:

I do agree with you on SEGA though. They're abysmal.

I'll tell you why - even if MS did buy SEGA there's no way YS would sod off to the USA at 66/67 to head up a team - from what I know he's very happy in Japan, close to his family and likes the low key lifestyle.

So onto how to get Shenmue 4. Discussing pie in the sky takeovers ain't getting Shenmue 4. Actually getting out there and making some noise will.

Example: they announce VF6 (unlikely but its more likely than this takeover idea) we then start pushing for Ryo as a guest character. Pushing the Yu Suzuki name with it seeing as it's his creation and then you get people attached to the history of YS and his other games leading onto Shenmue. If they guested Ryo in VF6 that would get everywhere. That's the sort of coverage we need.
Well we got Ryo in Sega all Star Racing in 2010 and Shenmue 3 didn’t release until a decade later. Ryo being in VF6 would be seen as throwing a bone to the fans and nothing more.

Yu Suzuki used to be a rockstar at Sega and but they betrayed him and forced him to retire and life a quiet unassuming life.

If YS was offered the opportunity to be great again in the USA why would he say no?

YS was at the top of his game and in his element heading a team of hundreds of people at AM2 making ground breaking games chain smoking and pouring over every last detail until the games were perfect. He is now reduced to making useless mobile games and that is NOT YS in his element.

YS is a triple AAA game developer through and through its in his DNA and if given this opportunity again in the USA he would be sure to take it.

Well we got Ryo in Sega all Star Racing in 2010 and Shenmue 3 didn’t release until a decade later. Ryo being in VF6 would be seen as throwing a bone to the fans and nothing more.

Yu Suzuki used to be a rockstar at Sega and but they betrayed him and forced him to retire and life a quiet unassuming life.

If YS was offered the opportunity to be great again in the USA why would he say no?

YS was at the top of his game and in his element heading a team of hundreds of people at AM2 making ground breaking games chain smoking and pouring over every last detail until the games were perfect. He is now reduced to making useless mobile games and that is NOT YS in his element.

YS is a triple AAA game developer through and through its in his DNA and if given this opportunity again in the USA he would be sure to take it.
How do you know? Its all conjuncture like you saying how do I know?

Last edited:
Back