Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Yeah but i hope it’s not on the same level as 3

Oh, come on. Shenmue 3 for the most part was fine. The only real issues it had were it was a bit short on story (even though we still learned some important beats) and the stamina system wasn't really up to scratch.
It's too easy to keep hating on S3. They had to build everything from scratch AND get a Shenmue experience in a $20 mill budget. I think they did remarkably well considering. It has the atmosphere, the mood, the colourful arcade-like DC visuals, the little things that make it Shenmue...
If they expand on S3 for the next game and correct the aforementioned issues with 3 we're golden.

Last edited:
Oh, come on. Shenmue 3 for the most part was fine. The only real issues it had were it was a bit short on story (even though we still learned some important beats) and the stamina system wasn't really up to scratch.
It's too easy to keep hating on S3. They had to build everything from scratch AND get a Shenmue experience in a $20 mill budget. I think they did remarkably well considering. It has the atmosphere, the mood, the colourful arcade-like DC visuals, the little things that make it Shenmue...
If they expand on S3 for the next game and correct the aforementioned issues with 3 we're golden.
I agree they did remarkably well

@Sonoshee do you think shenmue 4’s budget will higher?
I know you are not asking me, but the thing is they don't need a bigger budget now to get a better quality game because they can re-use some of the stuff they did for shenmue 3

I know you are not asking me, but the thing is they don't need a bigger budget now to get a better quality game because they can re-use some of the stuff they did for shenmue 3
Ik but it’s better for them to get a bigger budget anyway even cedric said a bigger budget would allow them to meet the standards of the market not just the fans plus i got a question when did you get into shenmue?

Ik but it’s better for them to get a bigger budget anyway even cedric said a bigger budget would allow them to meet the standards of the market not just the fans plus i got a question when did you get into shenmue?
Me ? 2018. I discovered shenmue thanks to the HD collection, shenmue is older than I.

We can also see it in this way.

FREE could be defined is an immersive world, achieved with simulation of real life elements like the passage of time, weather system, realistic npc behaviour etc. to give player the freedom to interact in realistic and coherent ways in a world that exists and works with its rules, even without input by the player (like instead happen in the vast majority of games).

I think Suzuki's description is still perfect:

View attachment 7740

To make it simple, we didn't fought and waited 20 years just to see Shenmue transformed in a Telltale game.
The amount of story that remain can't be covered with just Shenmue 4, probably even ending with S5 could be problematic.
But forcing the conclusion in 4 will result 120% in a total mess, and I'm already hearing you guys complaining again for the story in 4...
Not only this, you even want to downgrade the entire Shenmue experience...

It would be a total disaster.

I understand being realistic, but does it make sense to continue the series this way?

Better to not rush things, we achieved Shenmue 3 after all, with some patience we well achieve also S4 and S5.

Trust me, sometime it's better to have nothing, and I say it as a Panzer Dragoon fan that seen one of his favourite series butchered by amateurs with the mediocre PD Remake.

generally positive I think.
general sentiment could've been way better if some ex-fans weren't costantly spreading negativity on places like Gaf, resetera etc....
I know this is a old post but what you mean ending it in 5 can be problematic suzuki said he can end it in 4 but he prefers 5 and we can’t wait for a shenmue 6 it’s most likely not happening i think shenmue has a chance to end in V and leave the unused and missing story bits in an anime potentially of course a season 2 of the shenmue anime

I don't have the link, but I recall when someone asked Yu Suzuki if he would prefer to end the story in Shenmue IV or V, he responded "Why not VI?" Clearly he has planned the story to be able to be scoped to whatever the budget will allow.

However, one thing that we should consider is this. Would it be worth it to fully express the story in twelve-fourteen chapters, as originally planned, if each subsequent chapter would have to regress through the time and era of previous styles of games? So Shenmue IV would resemble a Saturn game, Shenmue V-VI would be 16-bit RPGs, VII-VIII would be side scrolling 8-bitters, IX-XI would be early 80s personal computer games, and ultimately the final battle with Lan Di would be represented as a game of Pong in which Ryo is one paddle and Lan Di is the other paddle?

I don't have the link, but I recall when someone asked Yu Suzuki if he would prefer to end the story in Shenmue IV or V, he responded "Why not VI?" Clearly he has planned the story to be able to be scoped to whatever the budget will allow.

However, one thing that we should consider is this. Would it be worth it to fully express the story in twelve-fourteen chapters, as originally planned, if each subsequent chapter would have to regress through the time and era of previous styles of games? So Shenmue IV would resemble a Saturn game, Shenmue V-VI would be 16-bit RPGs, VII-VIII would be side scrolling 8-bitters, IX-XI would be early 80s personal computer games, and ultimately the final battle with Lan Di would be represented as a game of Pong in which Ryo is one paddle and Lan Di is the other paddle?
I don’t get what you’re saying in the 2nd paragraph are you joking lol

I agree with Kenzo, I don't think a bigger budget is needed. The same again would be fine, IMO, they have the assets/tools in place now and the visuals were fantastic, they'll more than hold up now in a S4 even after four years.
Focus on the story, cinematics, new areas and tighten that stamina system and I think we'll be on to a winner with 4.

As long as they add throws and a new area for me to search for Chobu-chan, I'd be happy. The story could be about Ryo jerking off in his new Chinese apartment for 3 weeks straight, I'd still be happy... I mean, I'd prefer the story be about something else in a perfect world, but you know what I mean.

• Eyes
Reactions: JP_
I know this is a old post but what you mean ending it in 5 can be problematic suzuki said he can end it in 4 but he prefers 5 and we can’t wait for a shenmue 6 it’s most likely not happening i think shenmue has a chance to end in V and leave the unused and missing story bits in an anime potentially of course a season 2 of the shenmue anime

I remember that discussion.
Well I mean even Suzuki mentioned Shenmue 6 once, of course he still don't want to compromise the series stories, and I agree with him.

The ideal scenario would be ending with Shenmue 5, two chapters maybe could be enough to end the story (but I still imagine there will be many compromises).

But ending with Shenmue 4 means to butcher the entire story, unless S4 will be a monster with like 50 hours of cutscenes and 200 hours of gameplay...

Ending with Shenmue 4 will be absolute disaster. There is still 60 percent of the story left.. In my opinion, if they release one or two better accepted games, there is potentially a chance for wider audience for the final sixth game. :D Any game that manages to stick around long enough, sooner or later catches people's attention.

It would be nice if they somehow managed to make the games as standalone stories. A little bit like Yakuza.
Each game should be part of a larger story and at the same time have a separate completed plot. In my opinion, the main problem with the story of the third game was that it starts in the middle of nowhere and ends open ended. (at least for people who haven't played 1-2 recently or at all)

Last edited:
Ending with Shenmue 4 will be absolute disaster. There is still 60 percent of the story left.. In my opinion, if they release one or two better accepted games, there is potentially a chance for wider audience for the final sixth game. :D Any game that manages to stick around long enough, sooner or later catches people's attention.

It would be nice if they somehow managed to make the games as standalone stories. A little bit like Yakuza.
Each game should be part of a larger story and at the same time have a separate completed plot. In my opinion, the main problem with the story of the third game was that it starts in the middle of nowhere and ends open ended. (at least for people who haven't played 1-2 recently or at all)

Yep, if Shenmue can remain active with 4, 5, and 6, it will find some success even with new audience, like basically any previously niche series, that after 5 games are finally noticed by the public.

That's probably the best way to manage things:

self contained stories, with the larger plot "beat Lan Di" in the background + MORE Games (= more presence on the market).

Of course Shenmue being a long journey is a little difficult to adapt to be a self contained story, you will always have a beginning that is a little hard to follow for newcomers (but at some point people don't cares, for Yakuza, people don't have problems buying a new game without knowing all the details of the protagonist's past).
The rest of the game can be adapted without problems, yuou just need a strong story full of content and a charismatic villain.

Probably with Niao Sun we can achieve that in Shenmue 4, in Shenmue 5 we will have another chiyoumen boss and finally Lan Di in Shenmue 6 :D

It's not something impossible to achieve.

Yeah, absolutely. You describe it very well. One self-contained game with Niao Sun as a villant.

If someone had told me 10 years ago that the Atelier game would become popular and sell 1.6 million, I would have told them they were crazy! :D I know that they have a great team and a publisher that supports them for years (or decades?).... and this is a little different to Shenmue, but.... We can dream, right? :LOL:

If a publisher guarantees us two Shenmue games in the next 4 years... What a magical years for gaming awaits us. :hearteyecat:

I remember that discussion.
Well I mean even Suzuki mentioned Shenmue 6 once, of course he still don't want to compromise the series stories, and I agree with him.

The ideal scenario would be ending with Shenmue 5, two chapters maybe could be enough to end the story (but I still imagine there will be many compromises).

But ending with Shenmue 4 means to butcher the entire story, unless S4 will be a monster with like 50 hours of cutscenes and 200 hours of gameplay...
I wonder how much trimming can be done like with shenmue 3 it would’ve benefited from more trimming of small story bits like the gangs and instead including more important story bits and character progression i think it is the ideal choice to end it in V, but not IV

Back