Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Just on a sidenote: I have recently looked into Metacritic and the overall user rating for Shenmue 3 is a solid 7.7 - If you round up thats a 8! There are still many people that rediscover or discover the magic of Shenmue with the HD Ports and 3. That being said Shenmue 3, while dealing with a lot of problems on and off the screen due to the kickstarter and marketing, is still a god damn miracle to me.

Furthermore we got a full on Shenmue Experience that was never certain at the initial start of the kickstarter and even deep into the development. I think when everything is done and we get to the end of the saga ( I personally believe it will be as a game) Shenmue 3 will tie smoothly into the saga when you play it through. (between the fast pace of Shenmue 2 and hopefully a wild "new experience" filled Shenmue 4)

That being said i believe Yu will announce next year the next project and i hope it will be IV... Because when that happens...we will certainly get to the end of the saga. And just to think that we started in the year 2000 on that journey together boogles the mind... i cant wait for next year.... YSNET keep them coming.... (If they announce it next year i will make babys through the whole of europe...just saying... :ROFLMAO:šŸ¤ŖšŸ˜)

Common sense is getting started on Shenmue 4 right now. Weā€™re out of time. Shenmue 1 came out a quarter century ago and Yu Suzuki is now a senior citizen. Itā€™s now or never for Shenmue 4.

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just on a sidenote: I have recently looked into Metacritic and the overall user rating for Shenmue 3 is a solid 7.7 - If you round up thats a 8! There are still many people that rediscover or discover the magic of Shenmue with the HD Ports and 3. That being said Shenmue 3, while dealing with a lot of problems on and off the screen due to the kickstarter and marketing, is still a god damn miracle to me.

Furthermore we got a full on Shenmue Experience that was never certain at the initial start of the kickstarter and even deep into the development. I think when everything is done and we get to the end of the saga ( I personally believe it will be as a game) Shenmue 3 will tie smoothly into the saga when you play it through. (between the fast pace of Shenmue 2 and hopefully a wild "new experience" filled Shenmue 4)

That being said i believe Yu will announce next year the next project and i hope it will be IV... Because when that happens...we will certainly get to the end of the saga. And just to think that we started in the year 2000 on that journey together boogles the mind... i cant wait for next year.... YSNET keep them coming.... (If they announce it next year i will make babys through the whole of europe...just saying... :ROFLMAO:šŸ¤ŖšŸ˜)

Every time I revisit Shenmue 3, it grows on me that bit more.
I feel like people were too quick to fob it off. Their are downfalls, we've drilled those to death, but there are moments of magic too that only the Shenmue games can give and Shenmue 3 is no different.
We've got an amazing time ahead with Shenmue 3 laying the groundwork for what I imagine will be a bigger, bolder Shenmue 4.

Every time I revisit Shenmue 3, it grows on me that bit more.
I feel like people were too quick to fob it off. Their are downfalls, we've drilled those to death, but there are moments of magic too that only the Shenmue games can give and Shenmue 3 is no different.
We've got an amazing time ahead with Shenmue 3 laying the groundwork for what I imagine will be a bigger, bolder Shenmue 4.
I feel the same way. Looking at the river at night in Niaowu from the balcony is one of the most magical moments for me in my gaming history. That was just absolutely brilliant. It just feels like you are on a journey in a completely unfamiliar foreign land by yourself looking into sheer mystery, if you know what I mean. Top3 Moment in Shenmue for sure! I can't even imagine how it must have been as a kid if Shenmue 3 was released back in the day. Besides that I think especially young serious gamer who connect to the game are in for a treat.

(Top1 - The first steps out of the dojo; Top2 - Guilin Trip Disc 4 with Shenhua - if you asked :D)

Yes, I think playing directly Shenmue 3 after finishing Shenmue 2 the slow pace fits perfectly. And if Shenmue 4 picks up the speed of the second one it will be awesome. It is bound to because of new mechanics it will be a little faster automatically. Hopefully not to fast though :D

YSNET has to keep the doors open. Assuming 4 isn't in development how do you expect them to keep the lights on if they don't make other projects?

You've also more chance of a 4th game than Anime season 2 currently.
I just donā€™t understand if YsNet is working right now and expanded their office space what would be the reason to work on multiple projects instead of just Shenmue 4? Wouldnā€™t working on Shenmue 4 also keep the lights on?

Also Iā€™m pretty sure a season 2 of the anime is more likely since the producer is gonna try to get is made after the company mergers are done.

I just donā€™t understand if YsNet is working right now and expanded their office space what would be the reason to work on multiple projects instead of just Shenmue 4? Wouldnā€™t working on Shenmue 4 also keep the lights on?

Also Iā€™m pretty sure a season 2 of the anime is more likely since the producer is gonna try to get is made after the company mergers are done.
He's literally said it's mothballed and can't even get a home release. That's not happening for a long time.

They need a Publisher first though.

Why shouldn't he work on more than just Shenmue? For years people have been asking him for Shenmue, give the guy a break and let him flex his creative talent on other stuff as well.
He's always said if he can see Shenmue through to the end, he will.

Why shouldn't he work on more than just Shenmue? For years people have been asking him for Shenmue, give the guy a break and let him flex his creative talent on other stuff as well.
As I said we are out of time. Yu Suzuki is 65 years old the life expectancy in Japan is 84 that means Suzuki is only guaranteed 19 more years.

We canā€™t afford another long wait.

Suzuki will want to spend the last 10 years of his life retired spending time with his family so that just gives us 9 years to play with (to put that short timeframe in perspective itā€™s been 1/2 that long already since Shenmue 3 released).

Best case with just 9 more years of working is that Suzuki starts Shenmue 4 RIGHT NOW and the game is completed in 5 years and then the remaining 4 years he does Shenmue 5 which would be the final game.

Last edited:
I feel like I'm constantly being trolled every time you make a post.
Iā€™m serious. Yu Suzuki isnā€™t going to be around forever. We canā€™t want another 20 years like we did with S3. Already best case scenario is itā€™s a 10 year wait from S3 to S4 (and thatā€™s if they start work on it today!)

Iā€™m serious. Yu Suzuki isnā€™t going to be around forever. We canā€™t want another 20 years like we did with S3. Already best case scenario is itā€™s a 10 year wait from S3 to S4 (and thatā€™s if they start work on it today!)

hasn't Ys completely planned out the story? if he does decide to retire, someone else can make the games, probably with Ys permission.

hasn't Ys completely planned out the story? if he does decide to retire, someone else can make the games, probably with Ys permission.
Who should the baton be passed to? Iā€™m thinking Corey Barlog.

Last edited:
He's got some succession planning in place - not sure what but it was mentioned in the kickstarter

This is directly false. Yu Suzuki never stated this. Why inventing?
Here is the where Yu Suzuki said he'd move his family to the USA to make Shenmue 3.

JM: So, back to your plans for the future. I don't know if you've heard, but [Resident Evilcreator] Shinji Mikami's studio, Tango, was recently acquired by Bethesda parent company, ZeniMax. Would you ever consider working with a Western publisher if you could get the funding to make Shenmue 3?

YS:
That depends on the terms of negotiations. If we're given the freedom to make what we want, it doesn't matter where the company is from. I would take my family and move to the States.

As I said we are out of time. Yu Suzuki is 65 years old the life expectancy in Japan is 84 that means Suzuki is only guaranteed 19 more years.

We canā€™t afford another long wait.

Suzuki will want to spend the last 10 years of his life retired spending time with his family so that just gives us 9 years to play with (to put that short timeframe in perspective itā€™s been 1/2 that long already since Shenmue 3 released).

Best case with just 9 more years of working is that Suzuki starts Shenmue 4 RIGHT NOW and the game is completed in 5 years and then the remaining 4 years he does Shenmue 5 which would be the final game.
Mate, nobody is ā€œguaranteedā€ any time at all. Anyone can fall under a bus, get sick or die in some other way at any time. Please think before posting if you write something so stupid.

We're starting to see a shift away from this whole Games as a Service thing. There's beginning to be quite a bit of backlash when it comes to the way games are made.

It's still all about money, but there's a very real reason Sony, Larian, Remedy, etc are finding more success with strong single player games.

I'd like to go ahead and say Baldurs Gate III is one of the most refreshing, in-depth and overall astoundingly immedsive games I've played SINCE Shenmue impressed me all those years ago.

My wifes game is ENTIRELY different than mine. She finds things I never did, has dialogue choices I didnt have, finds solutions to puzzles that are so *out there*, but work because the developers actually realized someone may think of that and put it in the game.

There's room still for Shenmue IV, just need to have the right time frame. By 2025, I might begin to worry.

Yu Suzuki had a 14 year Shenmue break between 2001-2015.

Break time is over buster get moving on Shenmue. Games like Air Twister are nice and all I guess but seriously all we really want is Shenmue.

Last edited:
Back