Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

I never understood it. FF7 is an incredible game. Why remake it? What’s the point? Presumably money, but it has cost a fortune and flopped.
There has been a fan demand for a Final Fantasy VII remake since the PlayStation 3 technical demonstration in 2005. Square Enix initially refused due to technical restrictions and their work on the Fabula Nova Crystallis series, which consisted of the Final Fantasy XIII and Type-0 trilogies, along with Final Fantasy XV. However, times change as key developers on the original were entering into a "Now or Never" stage in their life and Final Fantasy VII is Square's most profitable Final Fantasy title.

As for Shenmue IV, all I will say is that if I had Elon Musk's wealth, I would write Suzuki-sama a blank check to complete the saga on the condition he uses the latest Virtua Fighter engine for the combat. Also, I would write SEGA a blank check for a Shenmue trilogy remake.

Last edited:
I never understood it. FF7 is an incredible game. Why remake it? What’s the point? Presumably money, but it has cost a fortune and flopped.

I don't think it'll add up to anything significant, but there's a lot of people like me waiting for it to be finished in entirety before starting it. When they can sell it as a complete game I'll be in.

It’s gonna be a long hard road toward S4. It’s already been 4 1/2 years since S3 came out (about 1/3rd of the wait we previously endured for S3).

I lay a lot of the blame on Super EyePatch Wolf. His intellectually dishonest bashing of S3 to his millions of followers really hurt the future of the series.

S3 was damn good in many ways and it really was a miracle what YS was able to achieve given the meager resources he was given. All the problems with S3 were due to the budget… it’s only 2/3rds of the game YS planned to make and naturally that hurt the story telling. With a higher budget YS could have built upon S3s systems to make a great S4 easily on par with S2.

Unfortunately Shenmue is no longer saved but a dormant IP again. Damn….

Last edited:
Reactions: JP_
I suggest we leave the regret for the next year. Let's push Sammy-SEGA one last time this year and show in every way possible that there is still interest in the series.

If there's no news about Shenmue 4 by the end of the year, it's already clear that the dream of seeing the series completed by Yu Suzuki will not come true. He will be too old to start a new project for 2025-2030. Not impossible, but unlikely.

That of course doesn't mean that's the end of the Shenmue. (if there's no news in 2024) There are many ways to continue the series in other forms. I really hope Yu Suzuki makes a statement about Shenmue in some interviews soon. Even if the news are bad, we will be able to adjust our expectations and look for other ways to complete the story in 2025.

He absolutely must give an update on the series soon. This silence is so bad for the series and the fans. I can’t even believe we are in the same position we were pre-kickstarter announcement. Absolutely no indication of anything at this point. There are no more rationale reasons why there is complete silence. We saved Shenmue so at least give us an update on the future.

He absolutely must give an update on the series soon. This silence is so bad for the series and the fans. I can’t even believe we are in the same position we were pre-kickstarter announcement. Absolutely no indication of anything at this point. There are no more rationale reasons why there is complete silence. We saved Shenmue so at least give us an update on the future.
At this rate, we'll be lucky to get a generic "no plans at present" tweet.

Guys, what are you talking about... Around past september/december a interview was shared here and many of you even discussed there that was nice to hear YS addressing Shenmue (while it wasn't exactly the best news).
It was at TGS and the medium IGN, with Esra making the interview.
The main points were:
- There wasn't solid plans for Shenmue4.
- Due lack of publisher.
- YS sees a prequel set in Dobuita as a interesting project.
- They're working in another game and he couldn't share more info about it.

I mean, its nothing like no indication at all or absolute silence (unless you pretend to get a report every three months). The situation has been addressed and isn't the best (basically same as that "no plans at present" tweet @ShenGCH ).
The game they're working could be anything unrelated or the hinted prequel.

In a different topic, the YSnet website renewed host period for another year. And as it was pointed to me, was a auto-renew but still serves as indicator of the studio being alive and with future perspective.

Edit: ok here's the thread
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...wister-and-40-years-of-game-development.5475/

Last edited:
I agree with Seaman but I also understand japalp.

If Shenmue were my creation I would stay in touch with Shenmue fans through social platforms, even if I had to hire someone to do that for me.

I’m not saying to do this so we can get updates about Shenmue IV everyday, what I’m saying is posting many things about the Shenmue universe, and this way stay in contact with the Shenmue Community.

Yu-San is from an older generation, maybe he doesn’t care that much about social media, but I think someone at YSNET could do this for him, at least post something Shenmue related one time per day or per week, I believe it’s important to stay in contact with the community this way, gets people talking about the Shenmue series.

I would also make a Shenmue Manga Version now, in my opinion now it’s the perfect moment to have a version of Shenmue in manga form while we wait for Shenmue IV.

I wished SEGA with the “new Era new Energy” would help Yu-San to make two more Shenmue games and this way complete the series. If a new Virtua Fighter is really in development maybe Yu-san is involved and it could be good for Shenmue. SEGA could make a Shenmue DLC this time.

I guess all we can do now is wait and continue to share in social platforms how much we need Shenmue to continue.

Shenmue is my favorite video game series. All I know is that I will continue to believe in the continuation of the Shenmue Series.

The things I try to hold onto in regard to Shenmue 4:

Yu Suzuki wants to do it, it still has a fan base (evidence present)

Shenmue 3 may not have been a blockbuster, but it didn’t seem to disappoint financially.

He doesn’t say much publicly, but he’s also said he’s not at liberty to discuss anything in development. I don’t necessarily think S4 is being made right now and I’m aware this is “saying nothing means something” but…

Also no concrete plans doesn’t mean no plans at all.

I fear I lean too far on the optimistic side with Shenmue, but I do think something will happen. Just today there was some new merch announced, it’s not a new game, but it’s something at least.

Guys, what are you talking about... Around past september/december a interview was shared here and many of you even discussed there that was nice to hear YS addressing Shenmue (while it wasn't exactly the best news).
It was at TGS and the medium IGN, with Esra making the interview.
The main points were:
- There wasn't solid plans for Shenmue4.
- Due lack of publisher.
- YS sees a prequel set in Dobuita as a interesting project.
- They're working in another game and he couldn't share more info about it.

I mean, its nothing like no indication at all or absolute silence (unless you pretend to get a report every three months). The situation has been addressed and isn't the best (basically same as that "no plans at present" tweet @ShenGCH ).
The game they're working could be anything unrelated or the hinted prequel.

In a different topic, the YSnet website renewed host period for another year. And as it was pointed to me, was a auto-renew but still serves as indicator of the studio being alive and with future perspective.

Edit: ok here's the thread
https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/i...wister-and-40-years-of-game-development.5475/
What we mean is that YS needs to level with us. It’s no longer enough to just hear YS think out loud saying “I’d like to make 4” “Quest markers would be nice” “Wouldn't it be cool if I could make a prequel?” If we are no closer to getting Shenmue 4 then we were 5 years ago, he needs to contact the fan base (the people who ostensibly saved Shenmue) and give us a sober assessment of our chances for getting another game.

I’m all for never giving up and one day we WILL get closure (even if it’s just Ryan Peyton telling us the broad outline of the main story) but it’s now pushing half a decade since Shenmue 3 came out and if YS hasn’t found a publisher yet what is going to change? We all know Shenmue 3 did not do very well critically or commercially so I don’t see a realistic path unless there is another X factor which got us S3 (in that case the Kickstarter fad).

At this point I’m holding on to hope that Sega will do something with Shenmue due to their IP revivals. But Sega will only make it if they think there’s money in it…. remember Sega doesn’t give a crap about us and how much we want Shenmue they are a company and therefore only care about making money off us…. it’s a business.

Can a Shenmue 4 with a solid AA budget make a profit? Unless the answer is yes it can’t happen anytime soon.

Last edited:
Back