Shenmue IV Will Happen - Here's Why!

Niao Sun was described by Yu himself a long time ago as mysterious, seductive and manipulative. These traits explain themselves. I believe there's a reason beyond "bad storytelling" that we didn't find that much out about her in Shenmue 3 and that her role will be highly extended upon in Shenmue 4.
The fact that her character hasn't been spelled out for you in the first game she appears in is okay.
But as usual, it just feels like another reason to bitch for the usual culprits in here.

Niao Sun was described by Yu himself a long time ago as mysterious, seductive and manipulative. These traits explain themselves. I believe there's a reason beyond "bad storytelling" that we didn't find that much out about her in Shenmue 3 and that her role will be highly extended upon in Shenmue 4.
The fact that her character hasn't been spelled out for you in the first game she appears in is okay.
But as usual, it just feels like another reason to bitch for the usual culprits in here.

Yeah, a long time ago. But Yu Suzuki spelling out 5 years ago or even 15 years ago a few details about Niao Sun isn't story telling.

You can keep being an apologist if you wish (I'm going at your level here, since you complain about "usual culprits bitching again" as if you were any better), but the thing here is bad story telling. It's not about Niao Sun being introduced late. Of course she's going to appear later and be more fledged. But the thing is there are elements we can judge. The way her whole betrayalton is introduced is poorly written and rushed.

Easy explanation:
- What is a betrayalton ? When you deceive someone in which they gave you trust or expectations toward you.

Thing is, none of that happens in Shenmue III because Li Feng is transparent af. She has no screen time. Was she introduced as a character more fledged, with a fake story, fooling Ryo and the player and bringing sympathy for her character, then it would've been meaningful. But no connection is established between her and Ryo/the player. Nothing. She appears in barely 2 cutscenes and sometimes in the city, where's she's irrelevant. And the only meaningful time she appears, she's suspicious af. And when the whole thing is revealed, it's explained with a really straightforward flashback telling you "oh, I remember her !!" without any buildup. This is poor writing. And this is rushed.

Now, you can sugarcoat it as much as you wish, pretend that "It's amazing !" "It's just an unconventional way of story telling !" "People are used to Marvel" when in fact, it's neither subtle or unconventional. It's just rushed.

I think you're just wrong here.
Again either quantify your comment or leave it alone.

By all means if you feel they're wrong, not an issue, but drive-by posting isn't happening.

Yeah, a long time ago. But Yu Suzuki spelling out 5 years ago or even 15 years ago a few details about Niao Sun isn't story telling.

You can keep being an apologist if you wish (I'm going at your level here, since you complain about "usual culprits bitching again" as if you were any better), but the thing here is bad story telling. It's not about Niao Sun being introduced late. Of course she's going to appear later and be more fledged. But the thing is there are elements we can judge. The way her whole betrayalton is introduced is poorly written and rushed.

Easy explanation:
- What is a betrayalton ? When you deceive someone in which they gave you trust or expectations toward you.

Thing is, none of that happens in Shenmue III because Li Feng is transparent af. She has no screen time. Was she introduced as a character more fledged, with a fake story, fooling Ryo and the player and bringing sympathy for her character, then it would've been meaningful. But no connection is established between her and Ryo/the player. Nothing. She appears in barely 2 cutscenes and sometimes in the city, where's she's irrelevant. And the only meaningful time she appears, she's suspicious af. And when the whole thing is revealed, it's explained with a really straightforward flashback telling you "oh, I remember her !!" without any buildup. This is poor writing. And this is rushed.

Now, you can sugarcoat it as much as you wish, pretend that "It's amazing !" "It's just an unconventional way of story telling !" "People are used to Marvel" when in fact, it's neither subtle or unconventional. It's just rushed.
While I appreciate you taking the time to explain the point theres no need to adopt a condescending tone which this is decending to.

@Sonoshee I get the frustration but saying people are bitching is just going to wind people up.

While I appreciate you taking the time to explain the point theres no need to adopt a condescending tone which this is decending to.

@Sonoshee I get the frustration but saying people are bitching is just going to wind people up.

I didn't want to. I shouldn't have lost patience but honestly, that kind of hostility is annoying at times.

I wont pursue that tone though.

I'm not familiar with the 500k, is that a fan site? How many people participate in the tweetathons? Especially now that the hype of S3 has died down.

You're probably right that this isn't that majority of fans, the majority are probably largely silent and don't participate in online discussions. My point being that Shenmue had about 70k backers and some of those were either not fans to begin with, or have since been alienated. How many of them remain? I'm not saying only 1000 people like Shenmue, but relatively speaking, the fanbase is small compared to most games and not going to get any bigger. Shenmue 4 is going to be for those of us who remain interested and not garner any new interest at this point.

I'm aware of all those interviews. I know there was stuff added for the fans, especially the forklifts (for some reason, who asked for that!).

Do you think that Suzuki made Shenmue 3 with his perceived fan expectations in mind in spite of what he wanted to make? Every creator keeps the fans in mind to a certain extent, and with KS you have to even more especially when bringing back a franchise from the dead with the fans support. I guess what I'm asking is despite that did Suzuki feel he fundamentally compromised what HE wanted for S3 to give the fans what he thinks they wanted? And if he did, why would S4 be any different.
Apologies for the late reply.

Shenmue 500k is a Facebook group, we work with them regularly but a separate entity nonetheless. Some of the discussion mirrors here but overall it's a good group.

Now your correct for sure in that the fanbase is small but neither here or the 500k encompass all of us. Wider of the community groups theres still a bunch of fans who want a 4th game. Numbers for the tweetathon are down from Shenmue III but increasing month on month. This tweetathon we saw all our tweets reach at least half our followers and that doesn't include the retweets etc. Eyes are definitely on it and going up.

Theres also this
Two thirds of the comments are Shenmue. Lots of names I've not seen before too so there is a wider love for the games. Maybe more so 1 and 2 but it's there.

As for your final point I dont know but I do expect that they played a big part in what we got amongst the other points made.

This annoyed me too.

When Li Feng was first introduced it was really weird. It was just like "ugh ok..." and I agree she came across as suspicious as fuck too. In fact, straight away I thought she might be Niao Sun. So when the final reveal happened, not only was I like "well I already figured that out", it also made little sense in terms of the story and the character's development, because as you point out, there's no relationship built up with Li Feng. It was really rushed and sloppy writing.

That's the main issue with Shenmue 3, particularly in the Niaowu half. They introduce new characters and expect the player to feel a connection to them, but the game doesn't invest any time in developing them or allowing Ryo to build friendships or deeper connections with them.

The characters feel tacked on to fill a perfunctory requirement within small story sections, but are not integrated well within the wider story and the gameplay in order to build bonds between the player and each personality. Hell, they have little personality. They feel like empty entities.

I'm offering constructive criticism in my opinion. I've been an ardent defender of Shenmue 3 and think it's a great game, despite its flaws. Lots of people and parts of the media exaggerate, but the game isn't perfect and Suzuki isn't infallible, much as I admire him. I loved the Bailu village part of the game, but I expected the story to pick up in Niaowu, especially given the sheer size of the area, but it kinda fell apart a bit.

Again either quantify your comment or leave it alone.

By all means if you feel they're wrong, not an issue, but drive-by posting isn't happening.

Wrong. I don't have to quantify my comment, because it was referring to an attack on me and people who share my opinion. I don't have to quantify anything because "people who didn't like the game had unrealistic expectations" is objectively false. The only "drive-by" posting happening is from the previous poster. But, I guess they don't have to quantify THAT opinion, huh?

Wrong. I don't have to quantify my comment, because it was referring to an attack on me and people who share my opinion. I don't have to quantify anything because "people who didn't like the game had unrealistic expectations" is objectively false. The only "drive-by" posting happening is from the previous poster. But, I guess they don't have to quantify THAT opinion, huh?
At least they quantified their position. You're coming in here and saying someone is wrong without backing it up and claiming it's now a personal attack.

Get real

But, I guess they don't have to quantify THAT opinion, huh?
While he was wrong to say "all" in
all the extreme hate comes from exaggerated expectations that people created during the 18 years.
he did at least explain his reasoning. And fwiw, I do unfortunately suspect that the statement is correct if you replace "all" with "most".

At least they quantified their position. You're coming in here and saying someone is wrong without backing it up and claiming it's now a personal attack.

Get real

Come on, dude. We all know why he said what he said. It’s the same straw man argument that has been used ad nauseum against people who criticize the game since release. Someone dares not blindly praise Yu Suzuki, so they have to justify why someone has a dissenting opinion by whichever means necessary. It reeks of insecurity.

And I didn’t mean to insinuate that it was a “personal attack.” I just meant that the presumption was selling people’s opinions short, and that much should be obvious. I shouldn’t have to quantify my statement on him being wrong on his assumption, when anyone with any sense knows that it’s not the truth.

In this interview, Suzuki was asked what he thought Shenmue fans wanted. He thought they wanted a slow and smooth life, so he slowed everything down in S3.In fact, he was wrong. The most important thing for fans is how the story goes.I think he will be really aware of the fans' demands after this failure, just like he learned from S1 and improved S2.

Interestingly Suzuki admitted he gave Shenmue 3 a slightly higher pace than before because players we were in 90's are not the same today.

Suzuki makes me think of Al Pacino in The Way Out, a then glory Mafia boss who spent years in prison before leading his company again, having to deal with the madness of modernity!

Last edited:
I do wonder if he’s seen much of “comparable” games. Certainly he’s seen a bit of Yakuza by now. I wonder what he likes about it and what he doesn’t like.

Come on, dude. We all know why he said what he said. It’s the same straw man argument that has been used ad nauseum against people who criticize the game since release. Someone dares not blindly praise Yu Suzuki, so they have to justify why someone has a dissenting opinion by whichever means necessary. It reeks of insecurity.

And I didn’t mean to insinuate that it was a “personal attack.” I just meant that the presumption was selling people’s opinions short, and that much should be obvious. I shouldn’t have to quantify my statement on him being wrong on his assumption, when anyone with any sense knows that it’s not the truth.
That rhetoric is implying we don't allow criticism of the game(s) where clearly we do and both sides gave been dealt with fairly.

You should be quantifying it when you're going around and accusing someone of being wrong. I don't disagree with your point that some have been tarred with the same brush but why not tell that person that?

Shenmue III has a very unorthodox style of storytelling, relative to mainstream games, movies, TV shows, etc, and I can understand how people who don't enjoy interacting with media at anything other than face-value would find it lacking.
Could you unpack this? I don't see how S3 is doing anything different than S1 and 2 and those were very traditional bildungsroman/hero's journey stories.

It does well by the main characters, introduces what appears to be a rather complex antagonist in Niao Sun
How is Niao Sun a complex antagonist? She isn't even given a name.

The focus for the story continues to be on imagery, symbolism, and metaphor, which I suppose aren't as immediately 'accessible' for audiences to engage with as just straight dialogue is.
With all due respect, this seems like an excuse. Stories are not written with subtext first.
(EDIT) Unless you're Darren Aronofsky.

There are enough details at this point that I can speculate on my own about the gaps. I wouldn't have that luxury if every character were just giving their inner monologues at all times.
This is a false equivalence. We learn a ton about Yuan and Dou Niu because they're actually in the game and part of the story; they never even give one monologue. Speculating about character development is not the same as actually having well developed characters.

This is something I think people have lost sight of. The fact is that Shenmue III was originally intended to focus heavily on Ryo and Shenhua.
Sure, but that doesn't mean it's good or anything different from what we got at the end of S2. Ryo and Shenhua meet at the end of S2 and get to know each other and they're basically just doing the exact same thing in S3; we don't even find out why the village recites a poem about the two of them meeting or why it's such a big deal.

Niao Sun was described by Yu himself a long time ago as mysterious, seductive and manipulative. These traits explain themselves.
And if you haven't read that description from Suzuki, you would have no idea that's what she's supposed to be like from S3.

These traits explain themselves. I believe there's a reason beyond "bad storytelling" that we didn't find that much out about her in Shenmue 3 and that her role will be highly extended upon in Shenmue 4.
Sure, you may be fine with that, but surely you can understand why "wait till the next game to find out about a character who was supposed to be the main antagonist of this game" would rub people the wrong way.

Niao Sun being a nothing character who isn't even named and is barely in the game is a perfectly valid reason to bitch imo. So is the amateurish and haphazard "twist" that "reveals" her.

Last edited:
I thought it was enough just to set GhostTrick as an ignored user, but his inanity is too far reaching.

An exemple I love to take is the Legend of Heroes serie. It's been going since what, 2004 ? They've released 9 games so far, all interconnected, building a huge world, a huge cast of characters while maintaining interesting locations to visit and really well developped NPCs, which you can even meet again in later games, with their own story lines. Sure, the visuals are subpar. And you cant open the drawers. But guess what ?

It does really well at what its trying to do. It's not fully voiced, and yet there's a shitload of script.

And in the end ? It's still reviewing well. It's still fairly respected among its fanbase and critically. It's not an on-going joke/meme among the press/industry.
Are you serious? So, you must be talking about the Kiseki series, because the original Legend of Heroes games, made by the unparalleled Kiya Yoshio, were made in 1989 and 1992, respectively--and those two games are great. If you think it's reasonable to compare the scopes of the Kiseki games to Shenmue, in terms of world detail, NPCs, scripting, gameplay, structure, etc, then you have very misguided ideas about what goes into making Shenmue. This is very elucidating, though. I can certainly see now how you would think that Shenmue III is something altogether different from the first two games.

By the way, if you think the fluff Falcom pumps out these days is serviceable, you should really up your standards a little, and play something like the Suikoden series.

As for the part about Niao Sun... Please, let's be serious for a second. You're selling it as a well done moment and well prepared when it's basically a poorly made "haha I was the mean character since the begining !". A plot twist that has been done over and over. It's not a problem by itself. The problem is that its too poorly written to give a shit. You say it's because "people are used to Disney/Marvel so they need things to be straightforward". I'd say: "watch more movies, play more games" because if those are your references, I understand why you think so much good of Niao Sun's reveal.
Ugh, stuff it. The only movie in the MCU I've seen was Black Panther, and it's probably the only one I ever will see, because I don't bother with most Hollywood blockbuster movies. They're fine entertainment, but mostly devoid of artistic value. I've been through university courses in Russian film, and regularly watch notoriously difficult films like the animated works of Satoshi Kon, Solaris (1972 and 2002), 2001, Mullholland Drive, etc. That doesn't make me an expert, but you seem painfully ignorant about artistic media, as evidenced by this plainly stupid argument that the reveal of new information about a character wasn't earthshattering enough, by some arbitrary assessment, to validate the character. In fact, you're so hung up on this worthless idea to the point that you've entirely missed the point of the character. I already covered this. Whether or not one can guess that Li Feng is Niao Sun (which is somewhat intended to happen anyway, since that's how foreshadow works), she is presented at first as a kind, gentle, helpful person. She turns out to be anything but, which has a range implications for who she pretends to be in her daily life, and that reflects deeply in her general character. Sorry, but that's one of the most interesting things to be presented about any antagonist in the series to this point. Lan Di looks like a bit of a simpleton by comparison.

Easy explanation:
:ROFLMAO: I really hate to pick on people for their English (it's tough learning any language), but "betrayalton" isn't a word. I suppose it technically has some use, since there's an Urban Dictionary entry for it related to video game exclusivity, but the word is just "betrayal." You're just so sure you're right, you don't even bother to check, lol.

Okay, great. You believe it's rushed, and that she has no screen time. Glad you got to share your opinion about this character who is more nuanced than most other antagonists in the series (and will be relevant to the story going forward). I mean I guess you must have been this pissed off about Lan Di in Shenmue II, also. What a shitty character he is. I mean he pretty much shows up for just one scene in the first game. Can't even be bothered to get off the helicopter for his one appearance in the second game, and doesn't even say a word. Wow, I guess we should just shove him into the waste basket. What a rush-job they did on Shenmue II. I mean, there's no way we could possibly learn anything about his character if he has so little screen time. Terrible writing, indeed.

Could you unpack this? I don't see how S3 is doing anything different than S1 and 2 and those were very traditional bildungsroman/hero's journey stories.
Easily: Watch the intro again. Ryo and Shenhua turn, in what appears to be a sort of awkward way, to face toward opposite corners of the screen. Their positions mirror the reliefs of the mirrors behind them. The details in this scene further establish Shenhua as being represented by the phoenix, and Ryo being represented by the dragon. Lan Di and Ryo being represented by the mythical Chinese dragon brings with it many other implications. Similarly for Niao Sun, Shenhua and the phoenix. These sorts of details are well represented in Shenmue III.

This is actually really important, because people seem to have this idea of story telling now that is warped by big budget movies. What details go into a story in a novel? Is it just things that characters do and say to each other? No, it includes things like the weather, scenery, colors, architectures, objects, etc. These are all parts of a story. In films, real films, directors often spend a lot of time on these details. It gives us things like the highway scene in Solaris:
This clues us in to things like thoughts, feelings, symbols, and metaphors. Sure, you can tell a story without these things, and that's what a lot of video games, movies and TV shows do. The Shenmue games, though (all of them) apply more of a film perspective to the story telling. It's even woven into the fabric of the regular gameplay. It's not as artful as Satoshi Kon's meticulous editing, but is more so than most contemporary video games.

With all due respect, this seems like an excuse. Stories are not written with subtext first.
(EDIT) Unless you're Darren Aronofsky.
Stories are often written with themes and messages first. Literary devices help to move toward these ideas. What are you talking about?

This is a false equivalence. We learn a ton about Yuan and Dou Niu because they're actually in the game and part of the story; they never even give one monologue. Speculating about character development is not the same as actually having well developed characters.
Please regale me with these "ton(s)" of things you know about Yuan and Dou Niu from their screen time in Shenmue II. They're on screen more because they're chasing Ryo around most of the time. We know that Yuan likes birds. Okay, you got me there. They are fine characters, but please, now you're just being silly.

Sure, but that doesn't mean it's good or anything different from what we got at the end of S2. Ryo and Shenhua meet at the end of S2 and get to know each other and they're basically just doing the exact same thing in S3;
Wait, so you're saying that Ryo learned everything there was to know about Shenhua in the two days he spent walking through the mountains with her? Yeah, I disagree. I learned a lot more about who she is as a person from Shenmue III, but the fourth disc of Shenmue II, and the beginning of Shenmue III basically straddle the same chapter, anyway.

we don't even find out why the village recites a poem about the two of them meeting or why it's such a big deal.
This reeks of intellectual laziness. Why don't you think about it for a bit. Try to find the answer for yourself based on the details that are given. Because what you're implying is that you wanted this information to just be given to you. Also, I think you could be missing the point. The origin of the tradition is probably much less important than the meaning of the prophecy itself, and how it would compell Shenhua on her journey.

And if you haven't read that description from Suzuki, you would have no idea that's what she's supposed to be like from S3.
Unless you actually stopped to think about any of the things you were seeing on screen, yeah, I guess that's true.

Sure, you may be fine with that, but surely you can understand why "wait till the next game to find out about a character who was supposed to be the main antagonist of this game" would rub people the wrong way.
Pretty sure they did it for Lan Di, twice, without even giving it a second thought.

Aren't ya all getting off topic here?
Yes, very much so. I'm not going to waste time responding to anything else in this thread that isn't about Shenmue IV.

Easily: Watch the intro again. Ryo and Shenhua turn, in what appears to be a sort of awkward way, to face toward opposite corners of the screen. Their positions mirror the reliefs of the mirrors behind them. The details in this scene further establish Shenhua as being represented by the phoenix, and Ryo being represented by the dragon. Lan Di and Ryo being represented by the mythical Chinese dragon brings with it many other implications. Similarly for Niao Sun, Shenhua and the phoenix. These sorts of details are well represented in Shenmue III.
Nothing in Shenmue implies that Ryo has any connection to dragons or dragon imagery, you're pulling this from thin air from the way one cutscene is framed. You might as well say that Ryo is connected to fire and Shenhua to water based on this image:
1587255299848.png

Shenmue 3 is not subtle at all in its use of dragon and phoenix imagery (nor are the first 2 games, really). Shenmue 1 and 2 provided wonderful sub textual imagery with snow turning to rain, constellations, and storms to underscore its important moments.

This is actually really important, because people seem to have this idea of story telling now that is warped by big budget movies. What details go into a story in a novel? Is it just things that characters do and say to each other? No, it includes things like the weather, scenery, colors, architectures, objects, etc. These are all parts of a story. In films, real films, directors often spend a lot of time on these details. It gives us things like the highway scene in Solaris:
This clues us in to things like thoughts, feelings, symbols, and metaphors. Sure, you can tell a story without these things, and that's what a lot of video games, movies and TV shows do. The Shenmue games, though (all of them) apply more of a film perspective to the story telling. It's even woven into the fabric of the regular gameplay. It's not as artful as Satoshi Kon's meticulous editing, but is more so than most contemporary video games.
I agree completely. I just don't find S3 to be a good example of it. S1 and S2 aren't really either. Better Call Saul is probably my favorite show on TV and its filled with great visual storytelling; it's also often criticized for being slow and boring, but it's still a well written show first and foremost. They’re not mutually exclusive.

Stories are often written with themes and messages first. Literary devices help to move toward these ideas. What are you talking about?
Themes and messages are not the same thing as writing a story. You still need characters, plot, action etc. to describe the theme and message, unless you're talking about something that's abstract (which is not what Shenmue is).

Please regale me with these "ton(s)" of things you know about Yuan and Dou Niu from their screen time in Shenmue II. They're on screen more because they're chasing Ryo around most of the time. We know that Yuan likes birds. Okay, you got me there. They are fine characters, but please, now you're just being silly.
We know that they're lovers, that Yuan is trans, we know that Dou Niu is the head of the Yellowhead gang and runs Kowloon (and hates Ren and the Heavens), that Yuan hates germs, has very particular tastes, is cruel and psychotic (she's an asshole to everyone she talks to and chases Ryo with a chainsaw), we know that Dou Niu is ruthless (he kills Ryo in many fail states and threatens to throw Wong off a building) and wants to impress Lan Di etc. They're not the greatest characters ever written but they're miles ahead of anyone written in S3.

Wait, so you're saying that Ryo learned everything there was to know about Shenhua in the two days he spent walking through the mountains with her? Yeah, I disagree. I learned a lot more about who she is as a person from Shenmue III, but the fourth disc of Shenmue II, and the beginning of Shenmue III basically straddle the same chapter, anyway.
Not that he learned everything, but it didn't progress enough past it considering how much time we spend with them in S3. I get it, they're kind of the same chapter, that's true, but imo what was established in S2 was enough; there should have been more depth to their relationship in S3 beyond just getting to know each other.

This reeks of intellectual laziness. Why don't you think about it for a bit. Try to find the answer for yourself based on the details that are given. Because what you're implying is that you wanted this information to just be given to you. Also, I think you could be missing the point. The origin of the tradition is probably much less important than the meaning of the prophecy itself, and how it would compell Shenhua on her journey.
Unless you actually stopped to think about any of the things you were seeing on screen, yeah, I guess that's true.
I'm able to process the story in S3 thank you very much. Nothing about the poem or how it motivates Shenhua is made clear beyond the fact that the phoenix represents the empress, the dragon the emperor, and Ryo as the young man who doesn't know his potential and possibly the morning star. Shenhua spends the whole game trying to find her father, then she does, then she tags along with Ryo because...?

Pretty sure they did it for Lan Di, twice, without even giving it a second thought.
Chai and Terry are the main antagonists of S1, Dou Niu and Yuan are the main antagonists of S2. Not Lan Di. Besides that, we learn way more about Lan Di in S1 than we learn about Niao Sun in S3 (again, we don't even know her name!).

Yes, very much so. I'm not going to waste time responding to anything else in this thread that isn't about Shenmue IV.
Fine. This has been off topic for several pages anyway.

Last edited:
Back