Shenmue Killed SEGA Refutations?(The Rise & Fall of SEGA)

I prefer quality over mass. And the Dreamcast has more better games for my taste. The only memorably title on the ps2 I can think of are Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3.

And the ps2 might look good on a crt, but it looks like trash on a LCD. Even with a upscaler the image quality is horrible. The DC on the other hand just needs a vga box to still look awesome in 2019.

For me the ps2 is overrated and very hard to use on a modern day screen.

But that's just my opinion.

In the end it is a matter of taste.

I believe I have nailed down the approximate date Sega would slip and cease to regain their footing, November the 21st of 1994. On this date two events would transpire, Sega would launch the 32X add-on and on Nintendo's end, Rare would release Donkey Kong Country.

This may no seem astounding, but if taken at face value let's see how these products would perform.

1. The 32X would see an initial positive critical response and high sales however, this was due to the holiday seasons and as soon as they would end the 32X would see a steep decline due to the fact consumers saw the looming release of the much better 32-bit Saturn on the horizon.

2. DKC would hit the year end charts as the best-selling software on the SNES and it would receive critical acclaim for its at the time revolutionary pre-rendered 3D graphics and smooth platforming gameplay. In the end it would outsell the 32X and it was a mere software release in comparison to a major hardware launch.

The rest is history ultimately it would be politics and fear that would do them in. If each branch were ran like a tight ship Sega would very likely still be around. The major slip-ups.

E3 1995.
Not Marketing Saturn effectively.
The US Saturn Launch.
Saturn Era Bernie Stolar.
Sonic X-treme.
PowerVR and Nvidia lawsuits.
Not paying DVD license.
Japanese DC launch part shortage.
Confusing US/UK DC marketing.
Windows CE.
Not preparing for PS2 launch.
Hiring Peter Moore.
Even though it isn't what would kill them it would be the final nail -- Giving Yu Suzuki and Yuji Naka limitless budgets.

There’s probably so much we don’t know about what went on at SEGA during this time. Keep in mind that most of the knowledge we have from this comes from a handful of sources.

One thing I really would love to know is, what the intended result of the 32X was. It’s very easy to say in hindsight that it’s a bad idea, but I’d like to know exactly what they were thinking at the time. I just can’t fathom how they could have possibly thought it would be a good idea to introduce two new systems.

There’s probably so much we don’t know about what went on at SEGA during this time. Keep in mind that most of the knowledge we have from this comes from a handful of sources.

One thing I really would love to know is, what the intended result of the 32X was. It’s very easy to say in hindsight that it’s a bad idea, but I’d like to know exactly what they were thinking at the time. I just can’t fathom how they could have possibly thought it would be a good idea to introduce two new systems.

If you read the articles on Sega Retro you'll get very in depht information. The 32X was a bad idea because people in the states and europe already knew Saturn was coming by the time it launched.

If you read the articles on Sega Retro you'll get very in depht information. The 32X was a bad idea because people in the states and europe already knew Saturn was coming by the time it launched.

I also think that Infos about Sega about that time are quite clear. The only question is who to blame. Same say Sega of America others say Sega of Japan. I presume that the truth is somewhere in the middle.

They were to ambtious. Wanted to release too much Hardware at the same time. That confused customers. The 32x was unecessary for sure, as the Saturn was already on the horizon.

They just got to cocky due to the sucess of the MD in the states. They were able to fight Nintendo, a not very easy Task back then in the 90s.

so they thought they could do eveything.

The sad Thing is that their ideas were not too bad. the mega cd was not a bad idea as a stop gap solution to enhance the Mega Drive. Even the 32x although i bad idea in Retro perspective could have done better if they would have supported it more for a longer time.

But Sega used to drop stuff if was not a big sucess. They never tried to make it better. They just moved to the next Thing.

That's one of the main factors they did. A System that did bad on the start could improve during it's life cycle (Sony proved that with the ps3) but if you kill a System as soon as you say it is not the big sucess it will be a loss forever.

Safe to summarized as trend chasing and internal politics? I guess brand loyalty is what helped nintendo survived it's own "Dreamcast years" during its Wii-U era with only a 13m-ish life time sales but the attach rate of each First Party Title ranges in between 50-60%.

Safe to summarized as trend chasing and internal politics? I guess brand loyalty is what helped nintendo survived it's own "Dreamcast years" during its Wii-U era with only a 13m-ish life time sales but the attach rate of each First Party Title ranges in between 50-60%.
Nintendo survived by adapting, they introduced the Amiibo and NES/SNES Classic to offset their losses it also helps first party sales were strong. Nintendo acted the way Sega never would have conservatively and fiscally responsibly. Another factor was Nin tendo has A LOT of money in the bank, they could utterly fail two consoles gens and probably still be fine.

Sega fucked the SEGA brand.

32, Nomad should have never happened. Saturn should have had more marketing and focused on being a better 3d system, and Sonic should have been released on Saturn. The rest is history. By the time Dreamcast came out it was already over for Sega.

What's the problem with the Nomad? Aside from its battery consumption. There's even a new model of Nomad coming out this year.

The ultimate problem is that between the Genesis and Saturn, Sega released the Sega CD, 32x, Game Gear, and Nomad. Sega released too much in such a short amount of time span and dwindled their brand. So when Saturn came it was pretty hard to tell what it even was. 32x already advertised as being 32 bit. Sega CD already used cds to play games. Sega went too hard too fast and when Saturn came out failed to fully advertise it. Nomad factors into that. It's just stands out as another highly expensive and failed Sega product.

Back