Shenmue Locations

I recently went over to Hong Kong to meet my future in-laws and my fiance surprised me by arranging a few trips to some of the locations featured in Shenmue 2. I know this kind of thing has been done before, but I thought I would share a few pictures for anybody that's interested in seeing them. I've also added a couple of pictures from a recent trip to Yokosuka as I happened to have them to hand.

Aberdeen.
This is probably one of the areas that felt most like the game. Although it's clearly changed since the era the game was set, there are still a lot of small fishing boats around the harbor that really reminded me of the scenes with Wong towards the end of that section.

Aberdeen 1.JPG
Aberdeen 2.JPG

Man Mo Temple.
Although a really interesting place to visit, the temple was nothing like it was depicted in the game. The temple grounds were significantly smaller than they were made out to be although I supposed it did maintain some of the musty feeling I'd imagined thanks to the ridiculous amount of incense that was burning inside the temple. The exterior of the temple is currently being renovated, so you will have to excuse the lack of decent shots from the outside.

Man Mo Outside.JPG
Man Mo Insence 1.JPG
Man Mo Insence 2.JPG
Man Mo Shrine.JPG
Man Mo Wude.JPG

Wan Chai.
As with the original game, the scaling of Shenmue 2 is pretty off when it comes to the distance between the locations featured and many of those locations are fictional (albeit inspired by real world locations). With that in mind, it simply isn't possible to go from area to area and so there was quite a bit of wandering around the central area. There were plenty of pawn shops around and the area immediately next to the Man Mo temple was full of antiques shops (a little similar to the Wise Men's Quarter). Queens Road definitely had a Golden Quarter feeling to it, but that was about all we could find.

Pawn Shop 1.JPG
Pawn Shop 2.JPG
Antiques 1.JPG
Antiques 2.JPG
Queens Road 1.JPG
Queens Road 2.JPG

Kowloon.
The walled city of Kowloon was by far my favorite area of Shenmue 2, but unfortunately it was demolished in the 90's and replaced with a couple of parks. There are still parts of the original city left standing including some of the original gates, some walls and the foundations of one or two of the buildings though. They also put up pictures and information detailing the history of the city and built a scale model showing what the city was like, which was pretty interesting.

Kowloon Gate.JPG
Kowloon Park.JPG
Kowloon Wall.JPG
Kowloon Building.JPG
Kowloon Statue.JPG

Yokosuka.
I've been to Yokosuka a few times as it's not too far from where I'm living at the moment. I actually feel as though the original game is less representative of the real life Yokosuka than the sequel is of Hong Kong, which really did surprise me. That may well be because of how things have changed in the thirty years since the game was set though. The one thing that is definitely noticeable walking around the city is the Western influence that having a U.S. naval base stationed in an area is inevitably going to bring. Yu Suzuki was able to capture this very well in the game. Unfortunately, I did my 'let's look for Shenmue locations' thing on my first visit to Yokosuka and lost all of my pictures, so I only have a couple showing the whole area from the ocean and Dobuita Street.

Yokusuka (Wide).JPG
Yokusuka (Dobuita).JPG

Really enjoyed reading through this. Thanks for sharing!

There's a great feeling when you visit a real life location that Shenmue is based on. Any time I see a picture I miss the place so much. Fingers crossed I will get back to Japan before the release of Shenmue 3, but we will see what happens.

"Hung Fat" and "Hang Lung" sound more like butchers than pawn shops :p

Thanks for the pictures, dude!

Awesome report!

I never imagined that the Man Mo name was a real thing until I saw your picture above. Hope some day I am able to visit all those places.

Some good pictures, but I think you missed the best part, specifically in this picture:

Hangon1.png

Let me get a bit closer...

Hangon2.png

Almost there...

Hangon3.png

Hang On was in Wan Chai all along!

Thanks for posting these ! Did they make you clean the soot off the temple walls ?

Thanks for sharing your pictures. I have yet to visit Hong Kong (or Guilin), but I do my best to visit Yokosuka once a season.

The closest thing we:re getting to Kowloon is that arcade in Kawasaki

Yes thanks for sharing the pics. They are really nice. I will also travel to China soon, and when I do it I also want to visit the Shenmue II Locations. Hong Kong and Guilin seem to be intersting places. I will start with Hong Kong. I am not sure yet if i will make to Guilin too or just stay in Hong Kong.

Yes thanks for sharing the pics. They are really nice. I will also travel to China soon, and when I do it I also want to visit the Shenmue II Locations. Hong Kong and Guilin seem to be intersting places. I will start with Hong Kong. I am not sure yet if i will make to Guilin too or just stay in Hong Kong.

My SO went over to Guilin as a child and said that it’s definitely worth a visit. Unfortunately we were only in HK for five days and so didn’t have time to make it over to mainland China.

Has any of you ever been to Guilin? Im backpacking about 4 months a year, and when i checked the map I saw its only a small flight from Vietnam:D.

Nice pictures, it's awesome visiting these places. Kowloon Walled City and Man Mo Temple felt like a pilgrimage to me. KWC actually felt quite sad, knowing how much life was there in the past. It's staggering how small it actually is given how many lived there

I'd also love to go to Guilin, for its own sake as well as following the game locations

Looking at Aberdeen and Wan Chai photos they look almost nothing like depicted in Shenmue 2, so why is that? I thought the game was based on real locations but there are no skyscrapers in these parts in Shenmue 2, you can only see them on the other side of the river in the game. Was it different in 1986?

Looking at Aberdeen and Wan Chai photos they look almost nothing like depicted in Shenmue 2, so why is that? I thought the game was based on real locations but there are no skyscrapers in these parts in Shenmue 2, you can only see them on the other side of the river in the game. Was it different in 1986?
Wan Chai and Aberdeen are on HK Island and are near each other. The Skyscrapers/Financial District is on the island too. Across the harbour is the mainland area of HK that connects to China and on this side is Kowloon. Wan Chai and Aberdeen look like their real life counterparts wheras Kowloon looks more like the old walled city that used to be in Kowloon.

Wan Chai and Aberdeen look like their real life counterparts
How so? I don't see similiarities. As I've said they're no skyscrapers in Aberdeen or Wan Chai where Shenmue 2 takes place. It looks like an old town. Skyscrapers are only visible on the other side of the river from Aberdeen

The label "based on..." implies certain degree of creative freedom, specially in videogames where keeping a proper pace for the sake of gameplay is mandatory. Things like key locations for story events, businesses frequently requiring the player visit and such are swapped around not just once but many times during development. And changes again during final testing (some tester leaves a note about "was annoying going all the way back to X shop, suggesting changing its location to the closest entry point for that zone"). Even Yokosuka was portrayed this way and not a street by street, brick by brick recreation.

About Shenmue 2, devs had restrictions which didn't applied to S1. Being far from home, without a plublic map archive avaliable (like they did for S1) forced them to rely on pictures and video footage.

About if there's any difference with 1986, obviously there are a lot. I bet your home place has changed a lot since 1995.
If you want to see early 90s Aberdeen and Walled City of Kowloon video footage check the Van Damme's classic "Bloodsport". Aberdeen is featured as the "safezone" in the movie, and there's quite a nice travelling around during the goofy scene with the cops chasing Dux. You will feel the similar mood to Shenmue 2 despiste the differences here and there.

The label "based on..." implies certain degree of creative freedom, specially in videogames where keeping a proper pace for the sake of gameplay is mandatory...

i would also add

what yu saw
and what yu felt
might be something entirely different

the genesis of memory and feeling are littered with our passions

not to mention the dynamics of making a videogame and limitations of technology at the time

Back