shenmue reviews

red

seems like the reviews are hitting the web.

edit:

IGN-japan review "AMAZING"

s31.JPG

===
stuff : 4/5

==
screenrant "3.5 out of 5 (Very Good)"

===

metro 6/10
====
vg247: Shenmue 3 review: repetitive, rough, but strangely endearing
3/5

Last edited:
Kinda concerned about their closing comments that it doesn't provide a satisfactory conclusion and doesn't really move the story forward. I hope it's just them talking bollocks because RyO dOeSn'T kIlL lAn Di

Kinda concerned about their closing comments that it doesn't provide a satisfactory conclusion and doesn't really move the story forward. I hope it's just them talking bollocks because RyO dOeSn'T kIlL lAn Di
As Valoni said, some here have said something similar. Others have said that they're too harsh, it's better than the S1 and S2 endings, etc. It seems like it's going to be one of the more divisive parts in the game, but I'm personally optimistic.

Okay, that was one of my biggest conerns and now I'm kinda worried. After the climax of Shenmue 2, I really wanted the story to really start to take off. I was worried Yu Suzuki might sort of, I don't know how to say it respectably, but slowly meander with the story...

Last edited:
I cant wait for more people to actually finish the game. Impressions on the final segment and ending are things I really want to discuss.

10/20 from jeuxvideo.com (main and first video games website in france)

saying it's a poetic adventure but completely outdated, with very empty environments, uninspired cutscenes and staging, slow progession, a progression locked by the economy, poor in twists and turns and revelations

saying it's a poetic adventure but completely outdated, with very empty environments, uninspired cutscenes and staging, slow progession, a progression locked by the economy, poor in twists and turns and revelations
And so it begins. The one thing that should have been crucial for them to nail is not being well received..

Empty environments? I'm sorry what? Granted I'm just two hours in but it's as dense as its always been

I cant wait for more people to actually finish the game. Impressions on the final segment and ending are things I really want to discuss.

Agreed, I think I’ve had enough time to chew on plot and will post my detailed thoughts on story and wait to see other fans reaction.

FYI... despite being the first videogame website in France, Jeuxvideo.com is well known for having a teenager audience and for writting the shitiest reviews on Earth when a game doesn't show the EA/Activision/Nintendo/any big publisher logo on its cover.
Do you remember Dorito's Gate? Yeah!? Same here, nothing less.

Alright, good to know. Hope we get reviews from the usual suspects soon.

5/10 from gamekult (another major website in france)

negatives points :
the fights are lame, mini games are a necessity to progress which is unfortunate for them because they are no good, the game is inferior to shenmue I and II in every way, endurance is annoying

positives points :
emotion of an expected return
shenmue spirit is present
a lot of humour

FYI... despite being the first videogame website in France, Jeuxvideo.com is well known for having a teenager audience and for writting the shitiest reviews on Earth when a game doesn't show the EA/Activision/Nintendo/any big publisher logo on its cover.
Do you remember Dorito's Gate? Yeah!? Same here, nothing less.

The person who reviewed the game was in a controversy because he rated the latest ghost recon too high, maybe he took his revenge on Shenmue.

Last edited:
Jeuxvideo.com is the worst French vg website, in terms of contents and community (its forums are a French version of 4chan, even worse). But unfortunately, it is also the most popular, because it's using a very generic name, "jeuxvideo" = "videogames".

But when you know that they reviewed Final Fantasy XV a very kind 18/20, whereas it's the worst FF (empty open world, ridiculous car travels, broken cameras during the fights, very short campaign, totally inconsistent story... all that with a AAA budget)...
Moreover, "Silent Jay", the guy who wrote the Shenmue 3 review, is a former Ubisoft employee and is regarded as a corrupt "journalist" by many. He wrote very nice reviews about his former company's games :)

Jeuxvideo.com is the worst French vg website, in terms of contents and community (its forums are a French version of 4chan, even worse). But unfortunately, it is also the most popular, because it's using a very generic name, "jeuxvideo" = "videogames".

But when you know that they reviewed Final Fantasy XV a very kind 18/20, whereas it's the worst FF (empty open world, ridiculous car travels, broken cameras during the fights, very short campaign, totally inconsistent story... all that with a AAA budget)...
Moreover, "Silent Jay", the guy who wrote the Shenmue 3 review, is a former Ubisoft employee and is regarded as a corrupt "journalist" by many. He wrote very nice reviews about his former company's games :)

Wow. Things are worse than I thought. I think we can all agree that their review is a big heap of gross trash.

Its a shame the shenmue 3 wiki page says "VG247 gave Shenmue III three out of five, criticizing the "decades-old" design sensibilities." When actually, it said "Still, despite these annoyances, despite the fact that it’s a game designed with decades-old sensibilities, I enjoyed my time with it."

Its a shame the shenmue 3 wiki page says "VG247 gave Shenmue III three out of five, criticizing the "decades-old" design sensibilities." When actually, it said "Still, despite these annoyances, despite the fact that it’s a game designed with decades-old sensibilities, I enjoyed my time with it."

Looks like someone changed it.

Although I think it's too early to have a reception-section on the wikipedia page anyway.

Back