Shenmue The Animation S01E09 Distinct - Analysis

Welcome to my Shenmue anime Analysis, this time for EP9 distinct, this Analysis will have SPOILERS of the anime and the games.

ZhangyuandRyo.jpg

The episode begins at the same part that the previous episode ended, with Ryo at the library holding the Wulishu Book that contains the name of Yuanda Zhu. Ryo search in the book for more informantions and found the name of Sunming Zhao, the person that Lan Di said that Iwao killed.

A Flashback begin where we see Lan Di talking about this person. We see a paper falling of the book, Ryo is walking while returning to Xiuying's house, he say that Yuanda Zhu is the man who holfs the key to his father's murder. Ryo see the door a little open of Xiuying's room, he didn't enter the room but he see that Xiuying is there, Xiuying is sitting in the chair while looking at the photo of her with Ziming, her brother, Xiuying say... "Ziming" and starts to cry, Ryo see everything and the scene ends. The scene of Xiuying Crying is in the game so is nice to see in the anime as well.

The Next Day

Man Mo Temple

In the next day we see that Ryo and Fangmei continues to do the Books task that Xiuying asked for Ryo to do, i really love the way the anime team did the book task in the anime in the previous episode and in this episode, really nice.

Ryo and Fangmei finished the task for the day, Fangmei ask if Ryo found the Wulishu book, Ryo say yeah and that a paper tucked inside of it, he show the paper to Fangmei and ask if she knows what this means. Fangmei say she have no clue, that maybe this is some kind of code.

Fangmei.jpg

Ryo say he need to find about it and Fangmei say that she believe the owner of the Hong Kong Tea Shop in the Lucky Charm Quarter knows a lot about this sort of thing. Ryo go to the Tea Shop and show the paper, the owner say that this looks like a Chawan Sign, that Guixiang down at the Yan Tin Apartments know more about this.

Ryo go to the Yan Tin apartments, Guixiang ask what Ryo want this time, Ryo show the paper, she pick and look at the paper and say for Ryo to come inside. Guixiang say that this is the Chawan Sign, Ryo ask what exactly is that, Guixiang explained that this is a code created for private communication between masters of the same school of martial arts, that heaven denotes time, Earth indicates place, Friends refers to a person, and Dragon is an action.

Ryo ask why line them up like this, then Guixiang pick 4 teacups and put in the table, she explained that each word corresponds to how a teacup should be place. From the one on the far left... Heaven, Dragon, Earth, Friend like so.

Ryo show the other side of the paper and ask what is this, she say that if she is not mistaken, this is a sign that indicates that the person is an ally of Yuanda Zhu. Guixiang do the sign with the 4 teacups and say for Ryo to commit this arrangement to memory, to use it where people gather, like at a restaurant or bar, if an associate of Yuanda Zhu sees it, they will respond somehow. Ryo go to a bar and decides to try the Chawan sign, he do the sign and think it is right, someone that was eating at the other table saw the sign.

Ryo.jpg

Ryo waited a lot but no one showed, he ask for the bill for the attendant, the attendant give a paper for Ryo and say that the customer who was just there left this for him, Ryo open and see the message "Man Mo Park at 9PM" Ryo go to Man Mo Park, he enter the park and someone attack him with a steel rod from behind, Ryo fall on the ground and the scene ends. In the next scene we see Ryo running, he is trying to get to Lan Di, Ryo managed to get closer to Lan Di but Lan Di attacked Ryo. Ryo wakes up in Xiuying's room, the part with Land Di was a nightmare, Ryo is shirtless and we can see that he hurted a lot in the Man Mo Park situation.

He look at Xiuying's desk and see the photo of Xiuying with Ziming, in the next scene Ryo is talking with Fangmei, Fangmei say that she is glad Ryo didn't get hurt any worse, Ryo thanked for the help and wanted to know how on earth did he get all the way back there. Fangmei is surprised that Ryo don't remember what happened and that Ryo seriously need to look out for himself more, that Master Xiuying is concerned about him. Ryo make a serious face and Fangmei ask what is wrong, Ryo ask who is Ziming and if Fangmei know this person.

ZimingandXiuying.jpg

Fangmei make a sad face and explained that from a young age, Master Xiuying was raised in an orphanage, alongside her older brother, but that one day, without any warning, her brother up and left, and never returned, that Ziming is Master Xiuying's older brother. Fangmei change the subject and say that she should change Ryo's bandages, Ryo say she don't have to worry about that. Fangmei say that she won't take no for an answer, that Ryo need to get a full day of rest, for Ryo just let her hangle airing out the books, Ryo say he appreciate it.

It is really nice to see more about Ziming and Xiuying story in this episode, and i love the interactions of Ryo with Fangmei, Fangmei had a character development in the previous episode, now she treat Ryo better, i like that.

In the next scene we see Ryo in the Tea Shop, he try to do the Chawan Sign again, someone is standing near Ryo, looking
at him, he is Zangyu Kong, another NPC from the game so is nice to see him in the anime as well, Ryo ask what is it
and Zhangyu say that Ryo must be a martial artist, and that the Chawan Sign gave Ryo away, he saw one similar at the
Dou Jiang Diner.

Zhangyu say for Ryo to look closely, that he made a small mistake. Zhangyu explained that some Chawan Signs are
dangerous, even one misplaced teacup could put Ryo's life at risk. Ryo ask if Zhangyu is a martial artist, he say
he was a long time ago, but he had to call it quits, while saying this his showed his scar in the arm.

Ryo remember when Hanhui say that there are four Wude that he must achieve, that his first step should be learning
what all of them are, after that Ryo ask for Zhangyu if he know of the Wude, he respond... "And if i did?" Ryo say
that he would like Zangyu to teach him abou the Wude, Zangyu say for Ryo to follow him and they go to Zhangyu Barbers
Shop.

I love the way Ryo met Zhangyu in the anime, the anime team expanded a little bit more of Zhangyu and i like that.

Zhangyu.jpg

Zhangyu go near Ryo and say... "All right. Let's give you a little test" and try to attack Ryo, Ryo is surprised about
the attack, Zhangyu say that Ryo have excellent reflexes, that looks like Ryo is using that Chawan Sign to accomplish
some kind of goal, but unfortunately, he can't share his knowledge of the Wude with Ryo, Ryo ask why not, Zhangyu
say thats because he lack something very fundamental, that Ryo is not fit to learn about the Wude.

Ryo go out and remember a lot of things, he remember Iwao, Hanhui and Zhangyu, these 3 characters
saying that he is lacking, after Ryo remember these things he say that this is another tongue-lashing.

Ryo remember when Zhangyu say that he saw a Chawan Sign similar at the Dou Jiang Diner, Ryo decides to try.

At the Dou Jiang Diner he remember Zhangyu saying that he made a mistake, after remember Ryo say he have to get it
right this time, he do the Chawan Sign and an attendant say for him... "Telephone call for you, sir."

Ryo go there and say hello but no one talked on the phone, he came back to the table and saw a note, on the note
it says... "Tonight at 8... meet here" and the scene ends.

Xiuying.jpg

In the next scene we see Fangmei working at the Man Mo Temple when Xiuying appear, looks like she is looking for
someone, Fangmei ask if Xiuying is looking for Ryo, and that he left early this morning to visit a tea shop, Xiuying
looks really concerned about Ryo and say that his mind is far from where it needs to be, clear and serene as a mirror.

Fangmei do not understand what she said and ask why she meant by that, Xiuying say is nothing,

At Dou Jiang Diner, Ryo is there waiting, someone appear and thanked for his patience, this character is Shuqin Zhang,
another NPC from the game, really nice to see this character in the anime as well. He say that he is in the service
of Yuanda Zhu, Ryo say that Yuanda Zhu is who he is been searching for, Shuqin ask how Ryo know about him, Ryo was
about to explaing but a lot of guys enter the diner, they were searching for Shuquin. Ryo ask who are these guys
and Shuqui say that Ryo need to get out of there now.

After that Shuquin try to run but one of the guys grab him, Ryo say for them to stop and two of them try to attack
Ryo and he bests them. We see Yuan for the first time in the anime, another NPC from the game, nice to see in
the anime as well.

Yuan say for the goons that they will leave but ask where is the others and what is happening, Ryo defeated the other
goons and appear there with a serious face, one of the goons remember that he saw Ryo before. Yuan say that Ryo
is too cocky to realize just who he is messing with and we see Xiuying in the shadows.

Xiuying2.jpg

Yuan say that this is fine and asked the goons to fight Ryo, while Yuan say this the goons fall on the ground. without understanding what just
happened Yuan say that Ryo will be real sorry later, then Yuan run away while we see Xiuying in the shadows. I
understood that Xiuying defeated all the goons, Xiuying was so fast that we couldn't even see her doing this, amazing, i really
like that Xiuying followed Ryo and helped him in this scene.

Ryo didn't understood what happened and say... What just happened?" and the scene ends.

Ryo help Shuquin to sit and Shuquin ask... "Who in the world are you?" and Ryo say his full name and show the letter that
Yuanda Zhu sended for Iwao, Shuquin recognized that it is from Yuanda and ask who is Iwao Hazuki, Ryo explain that
Iwao is his fater, that he was killed by a man known as Lan Di. Shuquin say that the Chi You Men have extended
their reach to Japan, he say is full name and that he is Yuanda Zhu's aide.

Ryo ask where is Yuanda Zhu but Shuquin don't know, that Yuanda Zhu went into hiding after being targeted by the Chi
You Men, Ryo wonder how will he find Yuanda Zhu now, Shuquin say that there is one way, however, it is not for the
faint of heart, Ryo say for Shuquin to tell for him.

Shuquin say for Ryo to seek out Ren of the Heavens gang and tell where Ren's hidehout is. Ryo go to the hideout and
Ren's goons are there.

One of them ask what Ryo want and Ryo respond that he is looking for Ren, to show Ren to him, Ren's gooms get mad
and Ryo bests them and say for them to take him to Ren. Ryo follow one of the goons and Ryo ask if this is where
Ren is and the goon respond yes while smiling, Ryo turn around and one of the goons hit Ryo in the head with a metal
pipe, Ryo say... "Not... again... dammit" and fall on the ground.

Ryo wakes up in Wong's little boat, Wong saw everything from a safe distance. Ryo say that he is searching for a
man named Ren and ask if Wong know him, Wong say he knows Ren but that Ryo will have to get to him on his own.

Wong say he made a big scene earlier so nobody will believe a word he say, Ryo say that he was going to go alone
anyway, Wong say... "Then take this with you" and throw the lighter for Ryo to catch, Ryo catch and see that the
lighter have the heavens symbol on it.

Wong explain that only Heavens members carry those lighters. for Ryo to flash it at the entrance and say
this: "I came to pay Ren his cash" that Ren is a sucker for anything that could lead to money, Ryo thanked
Wong but Wong continue, Wong say for Ryo to just remember one thing that Ren won't take him seriously unless
he got nerves of steel, for Ryo to not show him any weakness, Ryo understood that and the scene ends.

Ryo go to the hideout again and the Ren's goons are there, they recgonized Ryo, Ryo show the lighter and say he
came to pay Ren his cash, this time the goons let Ryo enter.

Ryo2.jpg

Ren say that he heard that Ryo got some cash for him, that Ryo must want something and ask if Ryo is looking to
be friends. Ryo say no and that he want to know where he can find Yuanda Zhu. Ren say... "Yuanda Zhu? Yeah, no
sweat. But first things first... May the gods be with you" and then Ren pick his knife to attack Ryo but he
stop, Ryo didn't move, i like this scene.

Ren ask why Ryo didn't move, Ryo say for him to take a guess, Ren say whatever and that he will bring
Ryo to Yuanda Zhu, to follow him.

In one place we see Yuan with other characters, one of them say to Yuan that it's all there, the money.

Ryo and Ren arrive in the place and hide near them. Ryo see Yuan and ask if Ren know Yuan, Ryo realized that Ren is not there
anymore, the lights go out, Yuan tell the others to turn the lights on, one of them turn the light on and they
see that the money is gone.

Ryo is hiding but Yuan and the others heard and see Ryo. Yuan remember Ryo and ask where is the money, Ryo say he didn't take the
money, Yuan say Ryo can't wriggle his way out of this one and say for the goons to attack. We see Ren outside running with the money and saying
that idiots always make the perfect scapegoats, Ren open the purse to check the money when Ryo see him, we see that Ryo bests Yuan's goons, Ren see
Ryo and start to run, Ryo start to run as well to catch Ren.

RyoandRen.jpg

Ren enter in a construction site and go to the last floor, at the top Ren say "Peace out" and jumped off the building, Ryo say wait and jumped off the construction site as well and both of them fall on a truck just like in the game, really nice to see this scene in the anime.

Ren say that Ryo is still alive, Ryo say just barely, with the fall the Phoenix Mirror fall off Ryo's jacket, Ren see the Phoenix Mirror and ask what is that, he try to pick but Ryo is faster and picked before Ren. Ren ask what's got Ryo so determined to see Yuanda Zhu, Ryo explain that Yuanda Zhu is the only lead he have to finding the man who killed his father, Ren say that the kid is out to avenge his daddy, Ren continues... he say that he smell loads of cash behind all this, that he will tell where to find Yuanda Zhu, and in return.

Ryo will give for him a piece of the action, Ryo say "Suit yourself" Ren say that he is nothing like Ryo, that is obvious that chip on Ryos shoulder makes him gusty, but that money is all that matters to him, and that obviously, that he only profit if he stay alive, and that this is the reason he always on his guard to avoid legit threats, unlike Ryo. Ryo say... "Of course" and looks like he understood something bigger but Ren doesn't understand why Ryo say that and the scene ends.

The Next Day

Zhangyu's Barber's Shop

Dan.jpg

Inside the Barber's Shop Zhangyu do the test again and Ryo didn't move this time, Zhangyu laugh and say that Ryo seems to figured out what he was lacking. Ryo expalain that Zhangyu move with that razor may be sharp, but that he judged there was no threat behind it. Zhangyu say... "Never be shaken, remain calm and resolute to make the proper decision. That is the Wude known as Dan." Zhangyu continue... he say that anyone can have courage, but courage without any foresight that will land Ryo in all sorts of trouble, like when he started carelessly using that Chawan Sign.

For a moment Ryo remember Xiuying, and Ryo say... "So that's what she meant" and the scene ends. The next scene we see Xiuying in the Man Mo Temple when Ryo appear, Ryo say that he heard the story about Xiuying and Ziming, her older brother, that he don't know what reason her brother had for leaving, but he ask if Xiuying think it was a proper one.

Xiuying say "Why do you ask?" Ryo say that for the longest time, he couldn't figure out why she wouldn't help him. Ryo say "but back when we first met... and a flashback begin, Xiuying say that Ryo will one day be led astray if he continue down this path he is now. The flashback ends and Ryo say he started thinking what she said that out of concert with him, and he realized that someone in her life must have been led astray. Xiuying wants to know again the reason why Ryo is there in Hong Kong, why he searched for her.

Ryo respond that the reason is to find out the truth about his father's murder. Xiuying ask what he will do when he discover the truth, that what will happen if he find out that his father was killed by mistake, Xiuying say that the seeds of revenge will surely sprout in Ryo's heart. Ryo remember Lan Di for a moment and say he don't have an answer to that, Xiuying say she already know the answer to that question. Ryo say that they just can't get on the same page and apologized.

Xiuying say... "Even after learning the Wude, you still don't see it? Martial arts serve to preserve life, not destroy it, once Ryo allowed his emotions to control his fist he will stepped down the wrong path.

Ziming.jpg

Ryo say that he don't wish to burden her any further and because of that he is leaving. We see the flashback of when Ziming leave Xiuying while Ryo is leaving as well, to make the audience see that Ziming have things in common with Ryo and probably left for the same reason, and i really love the way the anime team did this in this scene.

Ryo get out of the temple while Xiuying is looking at him and remember about Ziming, the scene fade and we hear Xiuying
say... "As you wish" and the episode ends.

I love the conversation of Ryo with Xiuying in the ending, interesting scene.

What can we expect to see in the next episode?

shenmue2_gd3_4269.jpg

In the ending of episode 9 Ryo say that he will not stay with Xiuying anymore, so now i'm wondering what will happen in the next episode in this version of the story. Hard to say but it looks like Ryo will go to Kowloon with Ren.

To me the catching leaves training with Xiuying is important, Xiuying training Ryo is important. Ryo learn an important lesson in the game, the lesson to keep his mind as clear as a polished mirror, and with this lesson Ryo defeated Dou Niu in the game, i really hope we can see Xiuying teaching Ryo about this in the anime.

Xiuying told about this with Fangmei in episode 9 so i have hope that we will see Xiuying training Ryo about how to catch leaves. Even if this part happen in a different place i just hope that this lesson is not cut out in the anime, to me this part is really important.

Ryo said for Xiuying that he is leaving but where Ryo will go? Ryo will talk to Ren and then they will go to Kowloon in this episode? Xiuying will follow them? i remember that Xiuying appear in Kowloon in the game, it is possible but i'm really not sure exactly what will happen in the next episode. i say this because it depends if Ryo will change his mind or not about staying with Xiuying. The anime version have many different things in relation to the games so i'm really not sure how things will happen in this version. I feel that we will see Kowloon in this episode and probably a lot of action with Ryo and Ren there.

What NPCs do you want to see in the next episode?

I want to see Ren, Wong, Joy, Fangmei, Xiuying, Hanhui Liu, Yuan, Dou Niu, Ziming, Niao Sun and many others, and you? what NPCs you want to see in the next episode? tell for us in the comments bellow.

Final Thoughts

Good episode. Ryo learned about the Chawan Sign and it was nice the way the anime team did it, Ryo learned the Wude Dan, it was interesting that he understood more what he lacked because of Ren, was really nice to see more characters from the games like Yuan and Zhangyu Kong. More story about Xiuying with Ziming and Xiuying worried about Ryo, i like the scenes with Wong, and with Fangmei in this episode as well. I hope we can see even more about Xiuying and Ziming, i still have hope that we will see Ziming with Niao Sun just like in the manga side story.

It was nice that Ryo met Ren in this episode and i love the song that play in this part.

Ren didn't noticed that Ryo is the japanese he was searching, i hope in the next episode we can have some dialogue about that but maybe it will not happen.

It was nice to see some scenes from the games like Ryo and Ren falling on the truck and many other scenes.

I love the conversation of Ryo with Xiuying in the final scene of the episode, Ryo leaving while we see Ziming leaving as well, Ryo have many things in common with Ziming, Ziming is like a Ryo but a Ryo that went into the wrong path in life, so it was interesting to see the final scene of Ryo leaving while we see Ziming leaving as well, beautiful detail.

Overall it is a good episode and i'm looking forward to see the adventures of Ryo and Ren in Kowloon.

Next week i will come back with my Analysis of Episode 10 Comeback, thank you all for reading and remember to keep friends... those you love... close to you, bye bye. ~

Xiuying3.jpg

Last edited:
Very good analysis as always!

Next episode will begin the Kowloon arc, so I expect to see the pharmacist. I think that 3 episodes are enough to cover this arc, perhaps they omit some street fight or not, we will see, but this part is one of my favourites, I'm sure they will do well.

The musician character is very good to, it would be fine see it in the anime, but perhaps like the vagabond in 1 due to how the story is reconstructed they keep him out too, we'll see.

Some thing that the anime is confirming to me, is that indeed, Ren is a very important character in the saga.

Very good analysis as always!

Next episode will begin the Kowloon arc, so I expect to see the pharmacist. I think that 3 episodes are enough to cover this arc, perhaps they omit some street fight or not, we will see, but this part is one of my favourites, I'm sure they will do well.

The musician character is very good to, it would be fine see it in the anime, but perhaps like the vagabond in 1 due to how the story is reconstructed they keep him out too, we'll see.

Some thing that the anime is confirming to me, is that indeed, Ren is a very important character in the saga.

Thanks Fukuhara, thank you for the support with my Analysis every week. 😊

I agree, next episode will begin the Kowloon arc, but this means that Xiuying will not teach Ryo how to catch leaves? this means that Xiuying will not teach Ryo about the clear and serene mind as a polished mirror? i feel that this lesson will be in the anime, Xiuying told Fangmei in episode 9 that Ryo lack the clear and serene mind, Xiuying will probably follow Ryo in Kowloon.

It is important in my opinion but now it looks like it will happen in Kowloon, Ryo defeated Dou Niu in the game because Ryo remember this lesson, i don't know, all i know is that this lesson is super important, i hope we can see in the anime.

I agree, in my opinion Ren is a very important character in the saga, and maybe Ren will die saving Ryo, and this will have a huge impact in Ryo's life like Ryo giving up about revenge, it is a nice theory and i think Ren will see as well that the real trasure is friendship, would be nice to see a big character development for Ren like this.

If Shenmue IV happen will be so nice to see Ryo, Shenhua and Ren travelling together and the interactions between them, this have the potential to be so beautiful.

I agree, 3 episodes are enough to cover the Kowloon arc and then the final episode of the season only for Guilin, i think the season will end in Guilin, it is possible.

Yes, as you say, I think she will teach him that in Kowloon in some other way, is something very important. The appareance of Xiu Ying in Kowloon is another of my favourite moments, perhaps the anime make it different and longer.

Yes, I see 1 episode for Guilin enough, also, let's hope for original good scenes too. And I want to watch the reaction of the three in Shen4 too, Shenhua bearing Ren very patiently, ha ha, that has to be great xD.

Last edited:
Back