Shenmue Undub [Dreamcast] - is it over?

Hi. I was looking for that project last year and there were plans on continuing it after HD rereleases. As we know now, the HD remasters don't offer anything beyond the original english "dubtitles" so the quest of the undub project is not over yet. But are there any activities? The thread in the old forums seems to be the last place where it was discussed. Will it be continued? Are the people behind it there?

Not sure I understand the reasoning. The undub project did exactly what the HD remaster does, with Japanese audio and English subtitles. Mind elaborating a bit more?

And I believe it's been dead for quite a few years now.

Original English subtitles are made from English audio track which is not an accurate translation of the Japanese track. In fact, it's not even comparable at times. So the reasoning behind it - making an actual translation, or at least the one that resembles it.

While the DC Undub project will likely be of interest only to a few given that the HD subtitled version is available, the project is still quietly active. Regarding the English lines, they were sourced from US Shenmue with a small percentage being hand-translated. There were a few minor changes made, but the original lines have been used as much as possible. The current phase is final checking for typos and layout, and the goal is to complete the project with a release later this year.

Last edited:
While the DC Undub project will likely be of interest only to a few given that the HD subtitled version is available, the project is still quietly active. Regarding the English lines, they were sourced from US Shenmue with a small percentage being hand-translated. There were a few minor changes made, but the original lines have been used as much as possible. The current phase is final checking for typos and layout, and the goal is to complete the project with a release later this year.
I personally am very happy work has continued on this. Still my definitive edition...

My plan for when the undub is completely finished, I wanna finally have GDemu by then. Worst case, a professional reproduction from my source who did Half Life and Propellar Arena.

Back