"Shenmue was the most expensive game made for its time" - ..no it wasn't. Why do people still think this?

Where are the stats for FFVII?

Shenmue pioneered a ton of things for its time, not to mention took up an entire floor of SEGA, and had anywhere from 200 - 300 people working on it at any given time for five - seven years, with a lot of crazy overtime and sleeping at the studio. Also had a lot of big names from SEGA working in it, like Toshihiro Nagoshi and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and part of Amusement Vision even jumped in at the last minute, I believe.

You mention marketing...I think a lot of people think that Shenmue wasn't marketed because they personally never heard of it at the time. I would venture to say that it is still probably on of SEGA's most marketed games of all time, considering they rented out the Pacifico Yokohama for multiple days with [probably B celebrity] hosts: https://www.ign.com/articles/1998/12/21/shenmue-premiere-the-full-report

Then you mention the multiple prototyping and reworking on the Saturn and subsequent restart on the Dreamcast, the research and travel to China, the 1000 plus fully voice acted and subtitled characters in two different languages, the television spots that were made, the multiple events from 1998 - 2002 where they drug Yu Suzuki, development team members, and the voice actors in character and uniform all over creation. You also have many unique trailers from the two games in different regions of the world, almost full motion capture for everything, even picking up items, bringing people from the cinema industry in to advise, the off site working dinners with said advisers that were held regularly...we also don't know if the cost of Shenmue The Movie might be included in marketing for Shenmue I. There was also designing and maintenance of the Passport's online features, where they had competitions for the high scores and fastest times on the game's ranked activities, and gave out prizes like huge framed pictures of characters signed by Yu Suzuki with special certificates. They made mousepads, notebooks, notepads, soundtracks, posters, clear files, mugs, watches, pamphlets, cardboard standees, demos, guidebooks, statues, calendars, clothing, artbooks, trading cards, magazine features, documentaries, digital screensavers, avatars, and wallpapers, and more to promote the game. There were over a thousand unique music tracks composed by probably ten or more composers with names like Yuzo Koshiro involved. Some tracks were even recorded and performed live by famous musicians at events like the Premiere, and the Kanagawa Philharmonic Orchestra even recorded a few for the game and its soundtrack. SEGA Germany even commissioned a famous artist to make some limited edition official Shenmue Dreamcasts with Ryo painted on them. All of that adds up.

Not to mention that we know for a fact that the story itself is at least written in novel form to its end, at least in the The Legend Of Akira books. The magic weather system incorporated the real weather data from the entire timeline Shenmue I is set in. And all of those ~1100 characters from both games? Each have their own unique biography, height, weight, blood type, age, and unique name stylized after real Japanese and Chinese names.

I would bet both of my arms that little to no marketing costs were included in that $47 or $70 million figure.

EDIT: We also didn't mention that the main characters were sculpted into character busts, then drawn and illustrated, then modeled multiple times. Some even had multiple variations, like Lan Di, Fuku - san, Ryo, etc. Yu mentions in the Project Berkeley video and other places that he did a lot of experimental things as well with the team, like having them design things based on the music they heard, for example. Doesn't seem to be a thing that would happen with Sonic 1 or Super Mario World.

EDIT 2: Don't forget about the Timex, Coca Cola, Sumitomo Bank, Hitachi, Sapporo, SEGA, etc. tie ins...these took more time to develop, as they worked with the original SEGA teams to capture their character capsule toys, and had to even rework the placement of all of the Coke vending machines because Coke didn't initially approve of how they were placed. Yes, they likely made money off of those product placements, I would bet it wasn't cheap to implement with the culture of perfection that Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue team had built.

EDIT 3: They also partnered with that artist for the "You're My Only" single to promote the game in Japan.

The game(s) also took part in numerous trade shows and other events: E3, TGS, Network Jungle, SEGA Game Jam, AM2 Summer Tour, and the Tokyo Metro Stamp Rally, and the aforementioned Shenmue Premiere and Shenmue The Movie Premiere.

Last edited:

Shenmue pioneered a ton of things for its time, not to mention took up an entire floor of SEGA, and had anywhere from 200 - 300 people working on it at any given time for five - seven years, with a lot of crazy overtime and sleeping at the studio. Also had a lot of big names from SEGA working in it, like Toshihiro Nagoshi and Tetsuya Mizuguchi, and part of Amusement Vision even jumped in at the last minute, I believe.

You mention marketing...I think a lot of people think that Shenmue wasn't marketed because they personally never heard of it at the time. I would venture to say that it is still probably on of SEGA's most marketed games of all time, considering they rented out the Pacifico Yokohama for multiple days with [probably B celebrity] hosts: https://www.ign.com/articles/1998/12/21/shenmue-premiere-the-full-report

Then you mention the multiple prototyping and reworking on the Saturn and subsequent restart on the Dreamcast, the research and travel to China, the 1000 plus fully voice acted and subtitled characters in two different languages, the television spots that were made, the multiple events from 1998 - 2002 where they drug Yu Suzuki, development team members, and the voice actors in character and uniform all over creation. You also have many unique trailers from the two games in different regions of the world, almost full motion capture for everything, even picking up items, bringing people from the cinema industry in to advise, the off site working dinners with said advisers that were held regularly...we also don't know if the cost of Shenmue The Movie might be included in marketing for Shenmue I. There was also designing and maintenance of the Passport's online features, where they had competitions for the high scores and fastest times on the game's ranked activities, and gave out prizes like huge framed pictures of characters signed by Yu Suzuki with special certificates. They made mousepads, notebooks, notepads, soundtracks, posters, clear files, mugs, watches, pamphlets, cardboard standees, demos, guidebooks, statues, calendars, clothing, artbooks, trading cards, magazine features, digital screensavers, avatars, and wallpapers, and more to promote the game. There were over a thousand unique music tracks composed by probably ten or more composers with names like Yuzo Koshiro involved. Some tracks were even recorded and performed live by famous musicians at events like the Premiere, and the Kanagawa Philharmonic Orchestra even recorded a few for the game and its soundtrack. SEGA Germany even commissioned a famous artist to make some limited edition official Shenmue Dreamcasts with Ryo painted on them. All of that adds up.

Not to mention that we know for a fact that the story itself is at least written in novel form to its end, at least in the The Legend Of Akira books. The magic weather system incorporated the real weather data from the entire timeline Shenmue I is set in. And all of those ~1100 characters from both games? Each have their own unique biography, height, weight, blood type, age, and unique name stylized after real Japanese and Chinese names.

I would bet both of my arms that little to no marketing costs were included in that $47 or $70 million figure.

EDIT: We also didn't mention that the main characters were sculpted into character busts, then drawn and illustrated, then modeled multiple times. Some even had multiple variations, like Lan Di, Fuku - san, Ryo, etc. Yu mentions in the Project Berkeley video and other places that he did a lot of experimental things as well with the team, like having them design things based on the music they heard, for example. Doesn't seem to be a thing that would happen with Sonic 1 or Super Mario World.

EDIT 2: Don't forget about the Timex, Coca Cola, Sumitomo Bank, Hitachi, Sapporo, SEGA, etc. tie ins...these took more time to develop, as they worked with the original SEGA teams to capture their character capsule toys, and had to even rework the placement of all of the Coke vending machines because Coke didn't initially approve of how they were placed. Yes, they likely made money off of those product placements, I would bet it wasn't cheap to implement with the culture of perfection that Yu Suzuki and the Shenmue team had built.

EDIT 3: They also partnered with that artist for the "You're My Only" single to promote the game in Japan.

The game(s) also took part in numerous trade shows and other events: E3, TGS, Network Jungle, SEGA Game Jam, AM2 Summer Tour, and the Tokyo Metro Stamp Rally, and the aforementioned Shenmue Premiere and Shenmue The Movie Premiere.
I never knew about this song.

Last edited:

Then you mention the multiple prototyping and reworking on the Saturn and subsequent restart on the Dreamcast, the research and travel to China, the 1000 plus fully voice acted and subtitled characters in two different languages, the television spots that were made, the multiple events from 1998 - 2002 where they drug Yu Suzuki, development team members, and the voice actors in character and uniform all over creation. You also have many unique trailers from the two games in different regions of the world, almost full motion capture for everything, even picking up items, bringing people from the cinema industry in to advise, the off site working dinners with said advisers that were held regularly...we also don't know if the cost of Shenmue The Movie might be included in marketing for Shenmue I. There was also designing and maintenance of the Passport's online features, where they had competitions for the high scores and fastest times on the game's ranked activities, and gave out prizes like huge framed pictures of characters signed by Yu Suzuki with special certificates. They made mousepads, notebooks, notepads, soundtracks, posters, clear files, mugs, watches, pamphlets, cardboard standees, demos, guidebooks, statues, calendars, clothing, artbooks, trading cards, magazine features, digital screensavers, avatars, and wallpapers, and more to promote the game. There were over a thousand unique music tracks composed by probably ten or more composers with names like Yuzo Koshiro involved. Some tracks were even recorded and performed live by famous musicians at events like the Premiere, and the Kanagawa Philharmonic Orchestra even recorded a few for the game and its soundtrack. SEGA Germany even commissioned a famous artist to make some limited edition official Shenmue Dreamcasts with Ryo painted on them. All of that adds up.

Read the article you posted has a very interesting production effort I didn't knew about. I wish, I could go back in time and visit that Shenmue Presentation. I actually went to Yokohama near that place. It's one of best places in Japan.z

"
level of graphical detail and the ambient sound: snow powder gets blown up off the ground by a gust of wind, a candle sits on a table with a gently-flickering flame, a ceiling fan rotates slowly overhead, creaking gently. All these scenes enhance the realism, with the sound perfectly complementing the scenarios. Hand movement also got special attention -- using computers and a VR-style glove, along with photographs and video of actors' hands, the team ensured they captured exactly lifelike motion. For fighting scenes, a martial artist was employed for elaborate motion capture sessions, with every single movement committed to hard disk and modeled later in the game's characters.

=================================================================
I never knew they used a globe! to make the First Person view when you hold an item!

Locations

There are over 1,200 rooms to explore, and more than 370 characters (central and NPC) envisaged for the massive game world of Shenmue. Players have complete freedom of movement, and no location is off limits, so if you want you can forget the Quest for a while and just wander to your heart's content. And true to the realism in the game, none of these rooms you can explore will be the clinically-clean examples you may have seen in other games, (remember those labs in GoldenEye?). Instead, every room looks just as you might expect in real-life: there's a classroom which looks as if a horde of excited children just rampaged through it; a laboratory scattered with papers and instruments; an alley littered with old cardboard boxes and a complement of scuttling rats -- all of these things lend character to every location and make other adventure games look sterile in comparison. Shenmue is not a simulation, Shenmue is real life.

School in Shenmue?? Are they talking about Kowloon orphanage?
Which laboratory? I don't remember any in Shenmue.
old cardboard boxes and a complement of scuttling rats ? Don't remember this either.

Shenmue is not really a 3D game, he says, but a 4D one. Suzuki-san is referring to that fourth dimension of time, since in the game it is dynamic, changing just as the weather does, and having effects all of its own. Suzuki-san consequently refuses to use an existing genre label to describe Shenmue, instead creating a new category for it which he calls "FREE" (Free Reactive Eyes Entertainment). Here again, we were treated to clips of weather and time change incorporated in the game -- you will never have seen such realistic snowfall, believe me.

"=================================
Yes Shenmue Snow is so impressive and beautiful, it's a work of art..

"=================================

Quest

At this point, Yu Suzuki cracked open a new Dreamcast unit and we were shown Shenmue actually running on the console, from Liu Hazuki's perspective (third-person). The proud father wanted to demonstrate two innovative aspects of the game: Quest and Q.T.E.
"===========================================
Who is "Liu Hazuki?? Did they change Ryo name later?

By hitting A or moving in the right direction, the fight sequence would be executed perfectly and our hero safe. I say "would" because Yu Suzuki made a total mess of the thing and the thugs beat him senseless! It came down to the bubbly Chiba-san to save the day, and her attempt ended in complete success, eliciting raucous applause from the audience.

Ohhh I need Chiba-san to help me with the QTE lol. That most been so funny to see!
Wonder if there is footage of this presentation?

Finally found it, Saw this advert once on KunKun youtube channel on Gamewave in an episode before the release of ps2 but couldnt find it again, this kind channel has collated an hour of sega ads and at 44:11 you can see a rare Japanese Shenmue ad

ゲーム史上空前の製作費 70億 ついに完成 シェンムー
Unprecedented production costs in game history, 70 Million, finally its finished, Shenmue

If we take a look at the Yen to Dollar in 2000 it was around 105-110 Yen to a Dollar making this marketing advert saying $70 million

Of course we cant take this as fact but nice official marketing and history preserved to add to the discussion

Read the article you posted has a very interesting production effort I didn't knew about. I wish, I could go back in time and visit that Shenmue Presentation. I actually went to Yokohama near that place. It's one of best places in Japan.

Who is "Liu Hazuki?? Did they change Ryo name later?
Probably the reporter didnt catch the name clearly or mistook the kanji reading

Wonder if there is footage of this presentation?
This is probably the Shenmue Premiere in Yokohama (Dec 1998)

Last edited:
Back