~ Shenmue Zero ~

~ Shenmue Zero ~

Shenmue Zero.jpg

The concept of a Shenmue Zero has been on my mind for quite some time now. The idea of exploring a prequel featuring characters like Ryo and Iwao has always intrigued me, a time where Iwao was alive.

In this blog post, I'll delve into my ideas for a possible Shenmue Zero, discussing what Yu Suzuki has mentioned about the concept, as well as touching on the Shenmue Zero fan game and other related topics.

~ Story and Characters ~

KenjiRyo2.jpg

I envision two potential directions for the storyline of Shenmue Zero. One approach involves centering the game around a young Iwao in the late 1960s, exploring the reasons behind his journey to China. The other direction is the story could focus on Ryo as the protagonist, set in 1985, precisely one year before Lan Di's fatal encounter with Iwao.

I think Iwao's story would be best told through a separate game series, spanning multiple titles that explore his adventures in China. I've even written a blog post about an Iwao spin-off. If you're interested in learning more about this idea, you can check it out here.

https://www.shenmuedojo.com/forum/index.php?threads/shenmue-spin-off-series-iwao-hazuki.5282/

For Shenmue Zero, I'd prefer Ryo as the main character. In my opinion, it would be wonderful to witness the relationship between Ryo and Iwao before the events unfolded. Imagining the daily routine Ryo shared with his father, possibly training together every day with Iwao, is quite poignant.

We caught a glimpse of this dynamic in the anime, during Iwao's lifetime, where Ryo appeared to be happier. This game would offer a beautiful opportunity to explore the intricacies of Ryo and Iwao's relationship, thereby making Iwao's death even more heartbreaking, emotional, and impactful.

scene45301.png

In Shenmue Zero, we could delve into a time when Ryo attended Suka High School. Many intriguing events could unfold there, introducing new characters with their own stories, along with new mini-games and much more.

For example Ryo training Karate in the school with his Instructor Nonaka-san could be a fun mini game, a fun way to train in the game.

One of the new characters in the school could even be one of the villains in the game.

A game featuring Ryo attending school would be quite enjoyable. Players could have the option to choose whether or not Ryo attends school, but this decision would have consequences. In Shenmue Zero we would be able to see Ryo with his School outfit, it would be possible to change clothes in the game.

Those who choose to attend would experience unique scenes and interactions that only occur at school. This setting would provide more insight into Ryo's relationships with characters like Nozomi and others before the tragic events of the first game unfold.

PhotoFriends.jpg

Additionally, players could witness how Ryo acquires his iconic brown leather jacket, as he mentions this in Shenmue III. It would be fascinating to see the complete Karate tournament and much more.

The game would have a calm vibe but it would also have action/battle scenes.

Terry was the final villain of the first game, for Shenmue Zero i still don't have an idea for a villain, but i imagine Ryo maybe alongside with his father saving Yokosuka.

I also think it would be interesting if Iwao were playable in certain parts of the game. While the majority of the gameplay would revolve around Ryo, incorporating sections where players control Iwao could add depth to the story and gameplay experience.

I envision Shenmue Zero concluding right at the point where the first game begins, with Ryo arriving at the Hazuki Residence. In my opinion, crafting a captivating Shenmue Zero story with Ryo as the central character in Yokosuka is entirely feasible.

It could even incorporate flashbacks featuring Ryo's mother, adding depth and emotional resonance to the narrative. There are countless possibilities to explore in a Shenmue Zero game, and I'm truly excited about the idea of a Shenmue Zero unfolding in this manner.

~ Gameplay ~

AkiraRyo.jpg

I don't have any issues with the Shenmue style; I actually love its uniqueness and special quality. However, for a Shenmue Zero, I wouldn't mind if the game incorporated modern elements. Of course, this should be done without compromising the essence of the series and what makes Shenmue stand out from other games.

~ Yu Suzuki on Shenmue Zero ~

36004-1607960781.jpg

In 2023, During an interview, Yu Suzuki discussed the possibility of a Shenmue Zero when asked if he had considered it:

Yu Suzuki: "Yes, I have. I cannot go into detail at this point, but it is something I have been thinking about. I think recreating the streets of Dobuita with modern visuals on a new engine alone would make it worth doing. It also connects to the topic of not simply expanding in size.

Making an even more detailed Dobuita than the original Shenmue is an interesting idea, especially if it’s not a remake but a prequel with a new story."

I agree with Yu Suzuki, and I would love to see a larger Yokosuka, featuring new locations, characters, and much more.

~ SEGA ~

0f09b6063fa193f57d419cc1b7faadf2-700.jpg

At The Game Awards 2023, SEGA made waves by announcing the revival of several classic IPs, including Jet Set Radio, Crazy Taxi, Shinobi, Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, and more, although specifics for some are still under wraps. This signals a new era and vitality for SEGA.

There's speculation about whether SEGA might also have something in store for Shenmue, although details remain unclear.

Considering Shenmue is an old SEGA IP, it's not beyond the realm of possibility that SEGA is contemplating a move with the Shenmue series once again. Depending on the execution, it could breathe new life into the Shenmue series.

~ Shenmue Zero Fan Game ~

title.jpg

Shenmue Zero is an unofficial PC game developed by Tenshin Soft. Before Lan Di arrived to seize the Dragon Mirror, before Iwao Hazuki's tragic murder, before anything you've witnessed, there was Shenmue Zero. Set in Yokosuka, Japan, just a few years prior to Shenmue I, the game portrays Ryo as a young child under the strict tutelage of his Sensei and father, Iwao Hazuki. Life was markedly different then.
To download the game go here. >>>>> https://shenmuedojo.com/media/shenmue-zero/

~ Final Thoughts ~

The concept of a Shenmue Zero is quite appealing to me. In a Shenmue Zero game, we could explore a larger and more detailed Yokosuka, delve deeper into Ryo's relationship with his father, and perhaps even have segments where Iwao and Shenhua are playable.

It would be interesting to see Ryo attending Suka High School, encountering new characters, and participating in new mini-games and the full karate tournament.

The potential for a Shenmue Zero game is vast, with numerous possibilities to enrich the series.

In my opinion, while continuing the story with Shenmue IV should take priority, if they were to develop Shenmue Zero first, it could still be a fantastic addition to the Shenmue series depending on its execution. However, my preference would be to see the story progress with Shenmue IV.

How would you envision a potential Shenmue Zero game? Feel free to share your thoughts in the comments below. Thank you all for taking the time to read, and remember to cherish those you love. See you in my next blog post. Bye bye! ~ Hikari ~ (Hiki)

KenjiRyo1.jpg

Last edited:
Nah, Shenmue 0 NEEDS to star Iwao.
What you described with Ryo could be a quick intro for a "Shenmue I" remake, with perhaps the karate tournament (as seen in the anime) and maybe a fight on the school grounds (similar to Cobra Kai or Ranma scenarios).
But a whole chapter like that? It won't work.

Nah, Shenmue 0 NEEDS to star Iwao.
What you described with Ryo could be a quick intro for a "Shenmue I" remake, with perhaps the karate tournament (as seen in the anime) and maybe a fight on the school grounds (similar to Cobra Kai or Ranma scenarios).
But a whole chapter like that? It won't work.

A quick intro? i even said that Ryo would attend school and there he will meet new characters with their own stories.

I said we could see flashbacks with Ryo’s mother, i said that we could see in detail the relationship/routine of Ryo with his father, i even said that Iwao and Shenhua could be playable in some parts of the game.

I said many things so to me this is not a quick intro for a Shenmue I remake.

I said some ideas for the game, this do not mean the whole game.

I dissagree with everything that you said but i respect your opinion.

Last edited:
A quick intro? i even said that Ryo would attend school and there he will meet new characters with their own stories, i even said that Iwao and Shenhua could be playable in some parts of the game.

I said some ideas for the game, this do not mean the whole game.

I dissagree with everything that you said but i respect your opinion.
So you go from Iwao getting killed, Ryo investigating hid murder, and fighting a gang of 70 delinquents... to just mundane school stories? That's a huge downgrade from being an epic story of revenge, don't you think? I understand these events take place before, but the player comes from Shenmue events, so you need to match and surpass those. A similar negative feedback I read often was on Shenmue III, as it was a clear step back from the epicness of Shenmue II (and I) events.

I can see those stories told maybe as a manga/anime, but as for a "F.R.E.E." video game, it doesn't make much sense. Perhaps as a more classic text JRPG/dating sim? Or something similar to Life is Strange (but without superpowers, so that wouldn't work that well either).

Again, compared to the stories you could tell with a younger Iwao, having a prequel with Ryo makes little sense. There is no substance there. They were living peaceful lives, which was the perfect contrast of Lan Di coming and destroying that.

No, i don't agree with you, It is not just mundane school stories, the characters will have depth and character development, i even talked about a villain for the game, i just don't know the details for everything yet.

I even said that we would see how Ryo got his iconic brown leather jacket, i said many things.

It's okay if you don't like my ideas, again all I can say is we can agree to disagree.

Last edited:
I even said that we would see how Ryo got his iconic brown leather jacket
Which likely belonged to Iwao, so learning how he got it in the first place would be more enjoyable. Playing as a younger Iwao sporting the iconic jacket (perhaps with some of the patches missing) would be far more interesting.

Feel free to write those stories if you are so inspired 😉 I'm also just pointing out some flaws and sharing my own ideas. I've been thinking about a Shenmue 0 for a while, way before Suzuki-san mentioned anything about it.

Which likely belonged to Iwao, so learning how he got it in the first place would be more enjoyable. Playing as a younger Iwao sporting the iconic jacket (perhaps with some of the patches missing) would be far more interesting.

Feel free to write those stories if you are so inspired 😉 I'm also just pointing out some flaws and sharing my own ideas. I've been thinking about a Shenmue 0 for a while, way before Suzuki-san mentioned anything about it.

Belonged to Iwao? you need to play Shenmue III again, in Shenmue III Ryo tells for Shenhua how he got the Jacket, the Jacket didn't belonged to Iwao.

Feel free to hate my ideas, i like my ideas, like i said we can agree to disagree.

Belonged to Iwao? you need to play Shenmue III again, in Shenmue III Ryo tells for Shenhua how he got the Jacket, the Jacket didn't belonged to Iwao.
I haven't played Shenmue III since it came out, so I don't remember that detail. I still think belonging to Iwao makes more sense and a better connection between the two characters. Shenmue III story should be rewritten anyway :p

Not sure how I’d feel about having Iwao as a playable character - kind of feel like Iwao’s story should be told through Ryo’s.

Interesting to read other people’s thoughts though - thanks for writing it!

Not sure how I’d feel about having Iwao as a playable character - kind of feel like Iwao’s story should be told through Ryo’s.

Interesting to read other people’s thoughts though - thanks for writing it!

Iwao would be playable in just some parts but the majority of the game would be Ryo, but I'm still not sure about making Iwao playable in this version, it was just an idea I had.

In my opinion a beautiful way to tell Iwao's journey would be in his own spin off game series spanning multiple titles, i think it would be beautiful to see his complete journey to China this way.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and thanks for the comment.

I agree - it’d be good to see a lot more of Iwao. Was one thing I thought about Bailu Village, was a bit of a missed opportunity not to have more background detail on him, given it was somewhere he must’ve spent some time. Interesting character, even though we don’t know a great deal about him so far.

Gotta love this fan-made Shenmue Zero just coming out of nowhere. What a grateful surprise.
There's many interesting points in both Hiki's and vfXander 's posts.
Sometimes even making me to be divided. For example: Suka High. Does that scenario appeal me? No, not nowadays. However, does it has the potential to attract lots of new audiences to it and hence the main franchise? It certainly does, as we can judge by the enormous success of school based series like Persona, Danganronpa, River City series... even indies like White Day, Yandere Simulator and Doki Doki Literature Club went phenomenon hits mostly because school drama appeal to younger audiences. This statement may sound like a demeanish but is not, the school setting would appeal to me long ago too.
Spin-offs should be exploration and experimentation fields for developers instead of disguises so this setting wouldn't bother me at all. I could end liking it too. Its just the idea of officialy revisiting Yokosuka excites me the most. About Iwao or Ryo as the main character, that's a hard one as the possibilities on both storylines. So hard that Im going to pass on choosing and pronouncing about it.

Gotta love this fan-made Shenmue Zero just coming out of nowhere. What a grateful surprise.
There's many interesting points in both Hiki's and vfXander 's posts.
Sometimes even making me to be divided. For example: Suka High. Does that scenario appeal me? No, not nowadays. However, does it has the potential to attract lots of new audiences to it and hence the main franchise? It certainly does, as we can judge by the enormous success of school based series like Persona, Danganronpa, River City series... even indies like White Day, Yandere Simulator and Doki Doki Literature Club went phenomenon hits mostly because school drama appeal to younger audiences. This statement may sound like a demeanish but is not, the school setting would appeal to me long ago too.
Spin-offs should be exploration and experimentation fields for developers instead of disguises so this setting wouldn't bother me at all. I could end liking it too. Its just the idea of officialy revisiting Yokosuka excites me the most. About Iwao or Ryo as the main character, that's a hard one as the possibilities on both storylines. So hard that Im going to pass on choosing and pronouncing about it.

I really understand that my version of Shenmue Zero is not for everyone, i really like the school scenario but i understand that some people don't enjoy.

I agree, the school scenario has the potential to atract new audiences for the franchise.

The way i imagine the school scenario it would add more to the story of the series, with new characters, character development, one of the new characters could be a villian and much more, and i think it would be nice to have mini games in the school, for example Ryo training Karate in the school with his Instructor Nonaka-san could be a fun mini game, a fun way to train in the game.

I would really love to explore a larger and detailed Yokosuka just like Yu Suzuki said.

To me it would be nice Shenmue Zero with Ryo as the main character, and Iwao as the main character in his own spin off series.

Seaman, Thanks for taking the time to read my posts and thanks for the support. 😊

Whatever the scenario, chuck in a cut scene every now & again following Lan Di as he gradually finds his way closer to Yokosuka.

Throw in a nice sense of encroaching doom.

Whatever the scenario, chuck in a cut scene every now & again following Lan Di as he gradually finds his way closer to Yokosuka.

Interesting idea, i agree it will throw a nice sense of encroaching doom.

RyoSchoolOutfit.png

Ryo in his school uniform 😊

Could be a bit like Suikoden III’s Trinity Sight thing, Ryo, Iwao and Lan Di but with Ryo as the only playable character and cut scenes for the other two.

Ryo going about his usual daily routines as normal.

Iwao somewhat aware he’s in for it soon, based on the letter he left behind.

Lan Di approaching and his presumably nasty business on the way.

Obviously Shenhua is important too, but I think it’s better having her as an almost unknown entity until Ryo meets her in Guilin.

Last edited:

I would rather play as Lan Di while he's looking for Iwao than playing as Ryo in a prequel.
Imagine fighting with those amazing moves! It would also show his side of the story and why he thinks Iwao killed his father.
Also, playing as Guizhang would be cool. He has a history with Terry, so they clearly had their fights before.

Back