ShenmueMaster - Gamescom 2019 Hands-On Impressions

Spaghetti

Site Staff
Seems to have flown under the radar, but ShenmueMaster published their hands-on demo impressions today alongside their website relaunch.

Everybody should go take a look. Not sure if there's an English version of impressions in the works, but machine translation should get you most of the way.

Few cliff notes:

• The demo version is 0.90.
  • They saw various possible timers while a Deep Silver rep was resetting the demo; 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and 60 minutes.
  • Visuals are clean and colourful looking, and brushed up from E3 2019.
  • It appears the Affinity System has been disabled or set at a fixed level for the demo, and certain NPCs will know Ryo by name, while others will treat him like a stranger.
  • Ryo's notepad includes the phone numbers of his friends (Nozomi, Goro, Fuku-san, and Fangmei were mentioned), but the Bailu Village telephone booth is currently without a phone.
  • NPCs in Bailu appear to have routines, like in the original Shenmue.
  • Noted that there has been perceived progress in the lip sync since MAGIC 2019's trailer.
  • NPC models appear improved over E3. Still some uneven spots with some of the adults, but children and old people apparently look spot-on.
  • Training mini-games are intuitive and fun to play.
  • Yu Suzuki informed them that in fights with multiple opponents, Ryo will automatically lock on to the nearest opponent, but can be switched with a flick of the right stick.
  • They enjoyed the new fighting and sparring mechanics, apart from the criticism others have made about lacking some weight. Although it was described as less choreographed and cinematic than the combat in the originals, it was noted as quite playable and even addictive in comparison to its predecessors.
  • Despite imperfections, a real feat by Ys Net and Yu Suzuki to pull something like this off on such a low budget.

Thanks for the article Spaghetti, it was definitely an enjoyable read. My only contention with ShenmueMaster was his critique on the NPC facial animations. The way he described their designs and animations sounds awfully similar to the original two games. Not every character is going to having the same level of detail as the main characters. Other than that, only a month and a half till release, get hyped!

I have had some reservations on the fighting system when they announced the change. Am really glad what ShenmueMaster said about it. The Hype Train keeps on going into warp speed.
Soon it will hit Plaid.

Plus that last part made my day.
Thanks for the cliff notes Spaghetti!

Cool article.

The "freeze" on the Affinity System makes sense because if you were able to win people over by doing X or Y, it could break the demo by allowing players to progress further than they're supposed to in a single day.

Flicking the right stick to swap enemies sounds intuitive. Can't wait to try it out.

has there been any reports on what the controls are like? is s3 like shenmue 1/2 ( tank controls) or closer to witche 3 ( feel like your floating)?

has there been any reports on what the controls are like? is s3 like shenmue 1/2 ( tank controls) or closer to witche 3 ( feel like your floating)?
It's your standard modern control system, with a bit of Shenmue DNA. Left analogue stick to move, right to rotate the camera. Running is still on the trigger, and Ryo's pace will increase or decrease based on how much you hold it down. Opposite trigger is for first person mode, like in the originals.

Seems to have flown under the radar, but ShenmueMaster published their hands-on demo impressions today alongside their website relaunch.

Everybody should go take a look. Not sure if there's an English version of impressions in the works, but machine translation should get you most of the way.

Few cliff notes:

• The demo version is 0.90.
  • They saw various possible timers while a Deep Silver rep was resetting the demo; 15 minutes, 30 minutes, 45 minutes, and 60 minutes.
  • Visuals are clean and colourful looking, and brushed up from E3 2019.
  • It appears the Affinity System has been disabled or set at a fixed level for the demo, and certain NPCs will know Ryo by name, while others will treat him like a stranger.
  • Ryo's notepad includes the phone numbers of his friends (Nozomi, Goro, Fuku-san, and Fangmei were mentioned), but the Bailu Village telephone booth is currently without a phone.
  • NPCs in Bailu appear to have routines, like in the original Shenmue.
  • Noted that there has been perceived progress in the lip sync since MAGIC 2019's trailer.
  • NPC models appear improved over E3. Still some uneven spots with some of the adults, but children and old people apparently look spot-on.
  • Training mini-games are intuitive and fun to play.
  • Yu Suzuki informed them that in fights with multiple opponents, Ryo will automatically lock on to the nearest opponent, but can be switched with a flick of the right stick.
  • They enjoyed the new fighting and sparring mechanics, apart from the criticism others have made about lacking some weight. Although it was described as less choreographed and cinematic than the combat in the originals, it was noted as quite playable and even addictive in comparison to its predecessors.
  • Despite imperfections, a real feat by Ys Net and Yu Suzuki to pull something like this off on such a low budget.
Sounds awesome can't Wait

It appears the Affinity System has been disabled or set at a fixed level for the demo, and certain NPCs will know Ryo by name, while others will treat him like a stranger.

This has me curious...is it tied to an OSD meter (ala Social Links or Judgments Friendship meters) or is it based on interactions...like how in Shenmue II, if you talk with Fang Mei...she will eventually start calling you by your first name implying that a friendship has been established.

Was the affinity system mentioned in any of the menus or HUD in the demo? (is my real question) Like was there a meter for it at all, I wonder?

So fighting is exactly what I fought it would be...movement on the analog stick with moves being solely performed via face button strings...that sounds appealing to me...sounds like they've tried to make it closer to Shenmue 1 and 2 than I thought it would be. Which is great by me.

So Bailu NPCs have routines. I doubt it will be the same in Niaowu/Chobu. But I think that’s a really good compromise. I wonder if important characters will have routines though, will Ren or Shenhua? Like, will she go off from Ryo sometimes and just do her own thing?

Back