"Shin Shōryūken" Hidden Move in Shenmue Unlocked After 20 Years

So there is in fact a button combination you could perfom during the QTE for Ryo to do this but it's so hard that it's not possible for a human? That's great but a shame, I mean if it would be possible to do this by hand it would still be an unbelievable secret.

Now I wonder if there are other scenes where they hid this move. Imagine doing this on Chai!

Can’t wait to see your video in this ;)

So there is in fact a button combination you could perfom during the QTE for Ryo to do this but it's so hard that it's not possible for a human? That's great but a shame, I mean if it would be possible to do this by hand it would still be an unbelievable secret.

Now I wonder if there are other scenes where they hid this move. Imagine doing this on Chai!
Don't let doubt hold you back. If you work on it, then it can become possible.

Guys, I was having some thoughts, no plans. :LOL:
But I will of course try to mess around with this as much as I can, though my skills may not be enough to get me far.

This is neat! Around last year a former AM2 developer hinted at a special move that had been left somewhere in Shenmue's code, but that it would need some hacking to uncover. And now a fan in Japan has done exactly that, successfully unlocking this "Shin Shōryūken" move which can't be produced through normal control input.

Once the hack is applied, Ryo uses it against Goro in the harbor blackmail QTE scene.

Blog post:
https://www.phantomriverstone.com/2019/06/shin-shoryuken-hidden-move-in-shenmue.html

I hope this move is in Shenmue 3 as a secret too. It's technically just punches and not a throw move. xD

Last edited:

https://www.3djuegos.com/noticias-v...to-un-ataque-escondido-en-shenmue-durante-20/

Last edited:
If I understood correctly, there's still a flag in the code that has to be hacked from "off" to "on" before even a super-fast QTE input would trigger the move.
I think QTE battle with the sailors in warehouse №1 works the same way after that Yamagishi-san teaches Ryo the Double Blow.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm35538263

Has anyone tried a free battle like on this video? Could this mean that we can use NPCs for coop play in any free battle?

Wow! This makes me wonder what else may be hidden in these games.
I remeber few years ago while I re-played Sh I & II for DC. I discovered many things that I had never seen before.
It's one of the things that makes the shenmue series so special.

@LemonHaze
Any idea of the scene for the punch

Had a look in scene/02/MFSY/MAPINFO.bin

Cant seem to find the hex values

Is there a folder for the cutscene when you arrive at harbour on disc 2

Thanks

@LemonHaze
Any idea of the scene for the punch

Had a look in scene/02/MFSY/MAPINFO.bin

Cant seem to find the hex values

Is there a folder for the cutscene when you arrive at harbour on disc 2

Thanks

The values will likely be different slightly, because SCN3 is baremetal SH-4 assembly on Dreamcast, whereas the re-releases use an interpreted version of it, but remains basically exactly the same. I can take a look soon, but I'm very busy.

Back