Should DeepSilver move to Acquire Yu Suzuki if S3 successful?

高野和泉

"SAKURA FESTIVAL!"
https://gematsu.com/2019/02/thq-nordic-acquires-kingdom-come-deliverance-developer-warhorse-studios

Kick starter success story Kingdom Come sold over 2m and as a result...Warhorse being an indie studio DS has snatched up their talent into an official first-party dev team & promises not to interfere with their creativity.

SEGA should be prepare to eat their heart out if DS is bold enough to decide to take a risk with Yu's creative calibur and give the man a AAA studio of his own like Sony with Kojima.

Ur thoughts everyone?:eek::oops::geek:

Things will def get very interesting for sure.:giggle:

Are they willing to shell out the cash to SEGA to buy the IP outright I'm doubtful Shenmue 3 would have to be an absolute mega smash for that to happen.

If Shenmue 3 will turn out to be a hit, then sega could consider to develop the next game themself.
But, to be honest, I highly doubt Shenmue 3 could be such a commercial success at this point... Shenmue HD sales downhearted me a bit, but I still hope that people are waiting to buy it until they will have the chance to take an in depth look at Shenmue 3, or that out there there a lot more gamers interested in the third game alone...

I don't think so, developing in japan is simply too expensive.
They might want to keep publishing their stuff, but aquiring ? What ? They don't even own the IP.

Yeah, with a studio purchase most publishers are looking for the talent + IP combo, and YS Net have no IP. If the game sells well but not astronomically well, I think the most likely scenario is Shenmue IV will be published by DS again. I really think it needs to be a smash hit for SEGA to put their own money behind Shenmue again.

If Shenmue 3 will turn out to be a hit, then sega could consider to develop the next game themself.
But, to be honest, I highly doubt Shenmue 3 could be such a commercial success at this point... Shenmue HD sales downhearted me a bit, but I still hope that people are waiting to buy it until they will have the chance to take an in depth look at Shenmue 3, or that out there there a lot more gamers interested in the third game alone...

What is wrong with the sales of the HD collections? It did quite well for the re Release of a old Niche Game.

And S3 is a new game. It could attract new buyers that were not fond of the HD Remaster at least in Theory.

No matter if S3 is a sucess or not (I hope it will prosper of course) I would stay that Yu-San stays independent and not got dragged into the corporate jungle. This big companies just care about money and nothing else. Not about the gamer. It is not the best place for creative people to make games that really matters.

It would be better to leave corporate stuff to people that have no ambitions and just make games like call of duty and fortnite every year. Creative Minds like Yu-San should stay free.

If it sells as well as, say, Yakuza and costs about as much to develop, then I can see Sega hiring Ys Net to develop the next game. I assume they're keeping costs more around what it costs to develop a new Yakuza, though the Dragon Engine probably cost lots of money.

Yes they shoudl because Yu Suzuki has a proven track record in making top quality games.

However for Yu's sake I think he should stay freelance with his studio. He can make what he likes then with only the restrictions he places on himself. I'd love to know what he will do once Shenmue 3 is done. He deserves a break at least!

Shenmue 1 and 2 have done reasonably well since release and while figures aren't openly out there I'd be shocked if it didn't make a small profit as a project.

If Shenmue 3 is a massive success I can then see SEGA taking it on and maybe getting Yu in to direct it etc. Whether they use the Dragon Engine or not is up to them. A decent halfway house would be for Deep Silver to publish and provide funds, SEGA to help out and then maybe some private investment like with 3, with SEGA taking on the kickstarter portion of the funding.

I'm not sure I see this happening. Yu has had a long, successful career but he's not really the kind of developer that I envision a publisher bending over backwards to lock up long term. He's 60 years old and hasn't been involved with a "traditional" AAA development cycle since the late 90s. Shenmue III (and hopefully IV) feels like his swan song to me.

What is wrong with the sales of the HD collections? It did quite well for the re Release of a old Niche Game.

And S3 is a new game. It could attract new buyers that were not fond of the HD Remaster at least in Theory.
The problem is that the remaster is an important piece to fully enjoy Shenmue 3, and I don't know how many gamers could be interested in the third game of a 20 years old series wihout playing the original games. I take myself as an example, I wouldn't, and I recently skipped KH3 because of that. I drop the series after the first game and, despite the fact that I was interested in KH3, i decided to not buy it.
That being said, maybe I'm just projecting my point of view upon others, and certainly there are plenty of people who don’t care.
And... who knows, maybe the mystical aura surrounding Shenmue will strikes when 3 will came out!
Anyway, regardless of Shenmue’s future, I think that YS net should continue to be an independent studio and, similarly to Platinum Games, they should work for different publishers.

I don't see it happening. Good points have already been made about Ys Net not having any original IP, and Yu's age would have to be taken into account when assessing an acquisition from a talent perspective.

If Shenmue III is a reasonable success I can easily see THQ Nordic/Deep Silver partnering up again with Ys Net, but as a long term investment it wouldn't make sense to buy the studio.

The problem is that the remaster is an important piece to fully enjoy Shenmue 3, and I don't know how many gamers could be interested in the third game of a 20 years old series wihout playing the original games. I take myself as an example, I wouldn't, and I recently skipped KH3 because of that. I drop the series after the first game and, despite the fact that I was interested in KH3, i decided to not buy it.
That being said, maybe I'm just projecting my point of view upon others, and certainly there are plenty of people who don’t care.
And... who knows, maybe the mystical aura surrounding Shenmue will strikes when 3 will came out!
Anyway, regardless of Shenmue’s future, I think that YS net should continue to be an independent studio and, similarly to Platinum Games, they should work for different publishers.

See, I'm the opposite. I bought Kingdom Hearts 3 having never played a single Kingdom Hearts game in my life. But I only speak for myself here.

Yu Suzuki has a proven track record in making top quality games.

Arcade cabinet games. From the last century. He’s not really done anything since leaving SEGA, and his track record began it’s decline immediately following the 90s.

He’s not really had a designer role since the 80s either, so if (massive if) Deep Silver want to “snap x up” in the wake of Shenmue III’s success, they’d likely want both Neilo and YsNet merged into one, rather than handing Suzuki the keys to a AAA-studio in a country he can’t even speak the language.

I don't think so, guys---the way I see it, Deep Silver may incorporate the devs, but I see the Shenmue saga continuing in SEGAs hands. They may contract YsNet or something.

They said themselves they were very surprised by both the reaction to and sales of Shenmue I and II. I expect SEGA to fund Shenmue IV and utilize the Dragon engine, assuming it actually happens.

In my vision, I see this happening in the next couple of years and Yu retiring once the story is finished.

It would be great for the Shenmue franchise to have Shenmue 3 making a good profit.
If that's the case, anything can happen.
The best thing that could happen would be SEGA to jump in and finance the game. Maybe together with ys net.

Why Dragon Engine just keep using Unreal SEGA can easily fund it. Besides Dragon dosen't have the Shenmue style which has already been handled in Unreal.

Why Dragon Engine just keep using Unreal SEGA can easily fund it. Besides Dragon dosen't have the Shenmue style which has already been handled in Unreal.
Yeah. There's zero point throwing away the years of experience and lessons learned creating Shenmue in UE4, for another engine that's likely not any better, and isn't guaranteed to have a toolset more suited for Shenmue.

Yeah. There's zero point throwing away the years of experience and lessons learned creating Shenmue in UE4, for another engine that's likely not any better, and isn't guaranteed to have a toolset more suited for Shenmue.
Exactly that and it would cost money in terms of having staff learn a new engine which might not be suitable. Unreal is ready and accessable.

Back