Sonic the Hedgehog thread

Trailer didn't get me too hyped, but the new movie looks great. I'll stay optimistic that the final game is much smoother than whatever's shown here. Clearly very early footage.

Sad to say I’m more hyped for the movie than the game. I just do not have faith in Sega enough to believe anymore thought was put into it than “well BotW is the new big thing so let’s just put Sonic in bland open spaces”.

I'm remaining neutral for now (again, it's early in build), but I can see both sides.
On the one hand (cynical), it seems they want to cash in on BOTW open world and follow trends. I'm also doubtful this can shape up within a year, esp. given COVID woes and Sonic Team's recent track record.
On the other hand (positive, not "optimistic"), this could actually be a smarter way to appease the fan demand for SA3. Hub worlds, a mix of 2D elements in 3D. Maybe a new engine build and guidance from previous developers can aid a refresh if done rightly.

(To your point, @xatruio: I'm also ready for Origins. Besides Mania, I haven't touched 2D Sonic in half a decade. If nothing else, I'd welcome a Taxman/Stealth S3K port if possible-- music be damned.)

I don’t get why they haven’t tried to shake up the creative team or try co-developing with a team that’s had a better track record with platformers. Sonic is still Sega’s most recognized character and they truly could have a huge hit if the game lived up to expectations, especially with the movie being so popular. That said, the game is a year away and I’ve seen little to tell me the game’s poor or great at this point. Time will tell. Have to buy it regardless since my kids a Sonic freak.

Not much to see yet, but I'm glad to see they're actually trying something new. (I admit that this gives some Sonic Boom vibes, but that's more a sense of PTSD). Thoughts?

Holy shit, they put Sonic in PSO2 New Genesis!

I don't know, I feel like it could be pretty rad.

Haven't watched trailer yet. Hearing Sonic Adventure 3/PSO2/BotW references though so im already super intrigued!

Last edited:
I think they’re intentionally showing off a really early cut of what they’re working on. Folks were talking about play testing this game nearly a year ago. The footage doesn’t square with that.

Haven't watched trailer yet. Hearing Sonic Adventure 3/PSO2/BotW references though so im already super intrigued!
I was mostly joking about PSO2, but it did kind of remind me of watching the teaser trailer for the Retem region that's coming in the update next week:

EDIT: Although, I just remembered that I think I saw someone mention offhandedly recently that the Sonic Frontiers project pilfered some of the devs from PSO2/NGS, but I don't know how true that actually is. I'm thinking it seems kind of possible that the field designers potentially already finished the first four NGS regions a while ago, and hopped on over to Sonic Frontiers, though.

BotW comparisons confuse me a little bit. Reminds me more of Shadow of the Colossus, personally. I'm very curious about how they're intending to make this more open world theme into a Sonic game.

I'm pretty excited to see what it's about, and if it ends up not being great, so be it. Not that big a deal. (Easy for me to say; It probably would be a pretty big deal for Sega, but--.)

Last edited:
Rats you caught me before my edit haha

i meant Adventure 3. I actually heard PSO2 and Colossus from someone else on twitter, too!

I was mostly joking about PSO2, but it did kind of remind me of watching the teaser trailer for the Retem region that's coming in the update next week:

EDIT: Although, I just remembered that I think I saw someone mention offhandedly recently that the Sonic Frontiers project pilfered some of the devs from PSO2/NGS, but I don't know how true that actually is. I'm thinking it seems kind of possible that the field designers potentially already finished the first four NGS regions a while ago, and hopped on over to Sonic Frontiers, though.

BotW comparisons confuse me a little bit. Reminds me more of Shadow of the Colossus, personally. I'm very curious about how they're intending to make this more open world theme into a Sonic game.

I'm pretty excited to see what it's about, and if it ends up not being great, so be it. Not that big a deal. (Easy for me to say; It probably would be a pretty big deal for Sega, but--.)
They’re all guilty pleasures for me since I usually buy the latest and greatest Sonic now that my kids old enough to be into something. At $50 yeah most 3D Sonic games aren’t too great, but they’re never really THAT bad either: the series just gets a bad rap like most Sega franchises. I like they’re at least trying something new for once… or so it seems. Sonic is as relevant as he’s ever been so nows the time for a great Sonic title. If Sega messes this one up I say they let Nintendo take a crack at giving him a game.

I am rather late to the party with Sonic. The first Sonic game I played was Sonic adventures for the dreamcast and i really enjoyed it. Then there was no Sonic in my life until 2018 or 2019 when I got my mega drive/mega cd combo. I bought Sonic 1 to 3 and I really enjoyed playing the games. I am also thinking of getting a repro of Sonic CD at same point the future. From the more modern Sonic games I have not played any. But I am interested in getting the new Sonic Frontiers when it comes out. The trailer looks promising to me.

Gonna use this thread to give a video I uploaded exactly one month ago another chance. I really hoped it would make the rounds on its own but 4 weeks with 200 views show it absolutely failed.

I'm no good when it comes to sharing the stuff on my channel, really don't want to force things down peoples throats. But for this one, given how much time I sunk into it, I'd appreaciate if you guys could maybe spread it around a bit further.

If it’s any consolation, I still have only like 15-18 subscribers? After some years of making fairly regular uploads. It’s especially disappointing since my original channel had over 500 making mostly similar content, but I guess times have changed a bit since back then.

I’ll give your video a watch later when I’m not at work. For now I just wanted to share a dumb tweet I made earlier.
744121D1-8A39-414B-979F-0C87840CF862.png

Honestly? If it's a year out the framerate hitches aren't a ginormous concern right now.

I'm just wondering if they're being coy with showing what it's all about on purpose, or to hide that the content is quite sparse and the mechanics are unfinished.

Big environments to traverse is a good idea though, if they've managed to nail the movement mechanics. Some of the Sonic fangame demos have acted as a pretty solid proof of concept for this; Sonic Utopia in particular. The platforming and level design aren't anything special, but it's still fun to play just because getting around the game world is so fun.

That’s the feeling I’ve gotten. They’ve been running play tests for over a year and Jeff Gerstmann, who is no Sega or Sonic apologist, said he’s heard it’s showing really well behind the scenes. I think they’re pulling a YS-esque trick (the “bad version” button). They’ve got a huge license on their hands now that the movie has made its mark on popular culture.

gehyeVT.png

Still might not be great, but clearly not your typical rushed release. I’m staying positive.

Last edited:
I'm not optimistic about a 3D Sonic game after the last 20 years (good lord I feel old). It definitely won't be a day one purchase for me but my kiddo is pretty interested in Sonic at the moment. If it's even a decent game... not necessarily great... I'd pick it up for the kiddo when it's on sale.

I'm not optimistic about a 3D Sonic game after the last 20 years (good lord I feel old). It definitely won't be a day one purchase for me but my kiddo is pretty interested in Sonic at the moment. If it's even a decent game... not necessarily great... I'd pick it up for the kiddo when it's on sale.
I have always said Sonic games are unfairly criticised and I stick by that. The majority of the games are never as bad as some people make them out to be. Personally, I just think people refuse to accept Sonic as anything other than a 2D sprite.

Some don't hit the highest highs, but I rarely play a Sonic game and come away from them thinking I just played a bad game. Sonic just seems to be an easy target for people to mock, even if it's unjustified.

As for the new game, they need to bring back the Chao Garden. Sega have sat on them and done nothing since Sonic Adventure 2. They are incredibly popular amongst the fans and they could bring a ton of replayability to Sonic games, like they did with Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

Back